3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Penetration factors  (Read 409 times)

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Penetration factors
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
Lets say all things being equal(#60@28" D style longbow, cedar arrow), are there certain things anyone has found that lend them to pick a certain broadhead over another for animals like elk, or do you just use a longtime favorite! I know alot of broadheads are 1 1/8" cutting diameter, but there are also alot that are way more like 1 1/2"! Like when hunting whitetails, snuffers are great heads, but tend to get the thumbs down for elk with average weight bows/arrows! Does anyone have any experiences with penetration problems with these larger heads on tougher critters like elk, moose, pigs? Im toying with 3 heads right now for an upcoming elk hunt, 175gr Tusker Aztec(its now 160gr due to metal removal for spine and looks like a ribtek), 165 Ace Express, and a 160 Magnus1! Lots of different cutting swaths here, they all fly true! Im kinda on board for the whole "2 holes are better than 1", and it would seem more achievable with a narrower head???

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Penetration factors
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
PS, thats not the equipment im using at the top of post, just a pretty common example of equipment!

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
LOts of opinions on this subject.  I have not had enough opportunity to shoot animals to really give an opinion.  But if you read the Dr. Ashby articles
I think you will have plenty to think about.   Ashby articles
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Well I think that any of those sound like they would do the job provided they hit the spot and fly true.  I will say that as far as hogs go (the toughest game I have to shoot) A two blade is way better than a three.  For hogs my favorite is the 160 grain Stos.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Things being equal a two blade penetrates more than 3 and lesser angles penetrate better than steeper ones.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Things being equal a two blade penetrates more than 3 and lesser angles penetrate better than steeper ones.
Well said. Just put 'em where it goes, no worries.  :archer:

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Ive shot deer with a variety of heads from snuffers, zwickey, magnus, ace, and a few more im sure! I like a fairly wide cut with deer, but the wider cuts can hinder penetration a little with lighter weight arrows in my opinion! Once i beefed up my arrow weight by 100gr or so i was getting passthroughs with the bigger heads like snuffers and magnus1's(talk about blood trails)! I even have gotten a few on turkeys which i thought was impossible! I believe im goin to go with a cut around 1 1/4" with the 525gr arrows im shooting now(total arrow wt of 685gr/#55 bow)! Get a decent cut and plenty of penetration!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©