3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood arrow fashion disaster  (Read 974 times)

Offline mudfish

• Trad Bowhunter
wood arrow fashion disaster
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
so I decided to build up a batch of really top notch tournament arrows.  I picked through my stash of cedar shafts and came up with 8 nearly perfect shafts matched in weight and spine.  I tapered the last 10 inches with great care.  as usual I wanted a color that would be easy to find in the woods for the frequent occasions they are not sticking in a 3D animal, so this time I picked tangerine.  I mixed up some powdered Rit dye with the same bottle of 91% alcohol I have been using for a while, and dyed the shafts a brilliant tangerine.  I used the same dye solution to turn some white feathers into tangerine barred feathers.

that was 2 days ago.  today I used the eco dipper and put on 4 coats of gasket lacquer and they were really looking good.  it quit raining so I grabbed my bow and headed out back.

came back in 40 minutes later and disaster had struck.  my tangerine shafts were turning a lovely shade of lavender.  I have done this before with red, yellow, orange, blue and purple Rit dye under gasket lacquer and never had a problem.  it didn't happen right away, the part of the shaft that I tapered was solid lavender and the rest is blothches of tangerine mixed with lavender.  the blotches of tangerine seem to be slowly disappearing, can't tell for sure but will know in a day or two.

I put some of my orange arrows and my daughters blue and purple arrows in the picture for comparison.

so here's my question.  I say it's lavender, but my wife says it's between a pale rose and dusky pink.  you be the judge.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood arrow fashion disaster
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Never saw anything like that before. I have to go with your wife. Hap

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Its a new Fad " PSYCHO CAMO ",LOVE EM!LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online highcountry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
They would go great with the beach towel there on the right of the picture!  :thumbsup:

Offline mudfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
yeah, should have got the beach towel out of the picture, it's draped over the front end of a motorcycle to protect it from my many misadventures

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
I actually like the way it looks but if it's not what you meant then it can be disheartening.
Is it possible that the gasket lacquer is clouding and thus changing the appearance of the color? I've had gl clouding issues lately and it's been giving me a hairball. Clouding is typically caused by moisture but that doesn't seem to be present in most of my issues.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
It may not be exactly what you wanted but I bet you they will be hard to lose!
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline mudfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
they will be hard to lose, even if I want to.  

I did not know about clouding, thanks Grey.  it was drizzling outside and I had the garage door open.  I take back all those good things I said about gasket lacquer.

anyway, now an hour later and the tangerine is definitely losing the battle.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Definitely Pink fading into a Rosie shade, add some yellow to it and you got a Tequila Sunrise theme going on.

If I were you, I would just go all out with pink fletchings and make it look like you intended for them to turn out that way. If somebody asks about them at the 3D tournament, just tell them they are for sale if they are interested.

As a matter of fact, there are some guys on here that would probably take those off your hands?
I've seen lots of pink arrows with pink fletchings in hero shots on here.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline sstewa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
I fletch em purple and chartreuse.
Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead...when your longbow with a blunt will work!

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
Bubble gum!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Rit dye mixed with alcohol also reacts "funky" with Bohning products.   I figure this is an alcohol / lacquer compatibility issue.    I noticed the same cloud splotches and had some bubbles after dipping in Bohning clearcoat (It did not change the color like yours did though... WOW!) on some kid's arrows.   I lightly sanded after the initial coat, redipped, and my results were good... except for the cloudy splotches of course.
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
I'll just say, they're different.  :o )

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Hey, shoot them.  If somebody says something out the way you can just chop them beside the head with one of them arrows....LOL
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
Better listen to your wife about the color, they look kinda rosy to me also.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Excellent!  Nothing is so liberating as a bunch of arrows you have no love for.  I tried an idea at camoflaging shafts for a bow quiver and they came out . . . unlovely.  Great for stumping and bunny hunting.

Good stump shooting!     :thumbsup:    Man, they'd show up good under the snow.

I had similar results trying to tint a canopy on a R/C model airplane with Rit dye.  According to the forum pundit it was to produce a gray tint after 20 minutes.  Instead it was Easter Egg purple.  I let it set for a week and it eventually made it dark brown????  The original color on the box was Navy Blue.  Go figure.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Never argue color with a women, They have more names for a color than you could ever dream possible. I honestly believe my wife has memorized the Sherwin-Williams color charts and can name that color at 50 paces. What ever happened to just plain Pink?   :laughing:

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Is it possible the shafts were not completly dry before GS? Was it water you mixed the dye with?
Gs is still a solvent based laq. It does not like wet days or cold days below 70 degrees. I have some wood samples I sprayed on wet cold days that look like your cloudy shafts. My instructor gave me a lousy grade on them.

Offline countrygirl

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Hey Mudfish

Tom told me that there is a momentous occasion on tradgang and to check out your thread on a  fashion disaster.  Naturally I thought you posted a picture of purple pants.   ;)  
We like your Easter Egg arrows no matter what color they ACTUALLY are or finally decide to be.

I am curious ...did any of the color get pulled into the gl?  If so has the color remained the same?

Now that you are posting...we need to keep you doing it.

I agree with Joseph...we will see you shooting these arrows for a long long time.  You very...very seldon lose one and never break them.
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
Purple haze.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©