3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any 60" bows good for long draws?  (Read 653 times)

Offline Jethro21

• Trad Bowhunter
Any 60" bows good for long draws?
« on: February 05, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Ok, my draw is 30.5 and I usually keep myself limited to 62" bows, but I am wondering if there are some 58"-60" bows that are good for a longer draw.

Anyone with some experience with this?

Thanks,
Jethro
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful- Psalms 1:1

Offline wildgame

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any 60" bows good for long draws?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
i have a sxt zipper 60inch longbow that i let a guy shoot the other day that pulls 30 inchs and he loved it enough he is goin to get him a 60 inch zipper like mine! hope this helps brad
"go afield with good attitude,and with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and fields in which you walk" -Fred Bear

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
You could easily use a 60" Black Widow PSA or PCH.  The 58" PCH also handles that draw well (same as my draw)

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Black Widow PCH 60”. Shrew Classic Hunter 56".  I am sure there are others, but I have shot these quite a bit drawn two at 29 1/2" and can pull them to 30" with no hint of any issues with fingers or stack.  Very smooth drawing bows.  I have heard that Big Jim’s Thunder Child will take a long draw.  Maybe some of the Hoots bows.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
Jethro... I've got a 60" Bear Magnesium TD that I use in pop up blinds some times. I've also shot a lot with 58" bows. Like you I developed a fondness for 62" bows and their smooth as silk draws.

I think a lot of people think that you can't shoot a bow (accurately) if it stacks too much. That's not true. Shooting a bow that stacks is a matter of resigning yourself to it.
A bow that stacks because of it's length means the limbs will be stressed to the extreme and performance can be awesome.

Like you my draw is around 30.5"... as I'm aging my draw seems to be shortening. Except for pop up blinds I don't find a bow shorter than my preferred 62" necessary.

Play with it and see what suits ya.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Give RER bows a call.  I draw a full 31", and I shot a couple RERs at Kalamazoo.  I was impressed with their smoothness, especially with a 62" bamboo-core bow that I shot several times.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
I have a long draw at 31.5".  I'm not sure how the newer black Widow bows draw, but the older ones had limbs that open up very smoothly and did not put a lot of stress on the fadeout portion of the limb.  

I like the way a short Widow draws even with my draw length.

I designed the limbs for my bows to open up like the Widows.  I find that even when I made a 60" bow for someone that I can shoot it well.

At any rate, take a look at a bow's unstrung limb shape.  If the limb is mostly straight with a gradual taper and a narrow recurved tip approaching 90 deg, it will draw smooth all the way.

Limbs that are shaped like a hook and have a lot of "backset" are more specificly suited for a certain draw length and are going to loose the sweet spot after you get past the 28" draw.

Find yourself a Black Widow 60" and shoot it....I bet you will like it......Just my opinion...
LPM

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
I draw 32" and shoot a 60" Bruin T/D recurve built by Mike Steliga in Antigo, WI. Stack free, smooth shooting, and super quiet bow.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I draw right at 30" I've had 2 different Jason Kendal bows one Kanati and one Kobekona River bow that I shot with no problem. One was 60" the other 58".

I'm shooting a 60" MOAB by Thunderstick archery now and have no troubles drawing it to 30".

bretto

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
pittsley predator

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Dan Toelke (www.montanabows.com)is a sponsor here and both his 60" one piece Chinook and his 58" take-down Curlew will easily accomodate your draw length.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I just sold an addiction recurve by lee hoots,the guy I bought it from drew 30 inches,it was only 54 inches he said it was smooth out to 30.I think any good bower can make a bow draw smooth for you.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Second vote for a Predator.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
Big Jims thunderchild should handle it.  Even at 58".
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
I think most forward style grip/handle bows are gonna be your best bet for your long draw.Shrews Kanati,Griffin etc. in longbows.Black Widow TF,RER Arroyo,Great Plains etc. in a recurve.The Toelke Chinook is good that was mentioned above for a 30 inch draw.

I have not had much luck in 58 inch models personally and would look closer at 60 inches for a better overall fit IMO.

In a three PC TD recurve I like the Morrison Arapaho or Cheyenne with an A riser and D limbs.Would lean toward the Cheyenne with its deflexed riser.A Tall Tines is very smooth at 30 in the 60" length and a widow PCH with its shorter riser and longer working limb is gonna be pretty good as well.

The Shrew Classic hunter 56 inch is one of the best short bows for a draw length like you have.

I have owned all these and I thought all worked very well for me at 30 inches.Thier are many other 60 inchers that dont fit me as well in the same length.

Some bowyers will customize a bow to get it to perform better for you at your long draw.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Yeah I think most bowyers say
 29.5 or 30 is about the max for 58".  Widow PCH is smooth shooting at long draws.

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I shoot Bear Kodiak Hunters and a Super Kodiak all 60" noi problems 30 " draw

Offline R. Graddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
Give Chad Francis a call at Lost Creek Bows.  I have one of his longbows, I have a 30' draw with a 60' bow.  It is very smooth out to my draw length.   :thumbsup:

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
When i designed the "Tornado" recurve i made it 60". I heard  the need for a ground blind bow. Also i know some guys like the 60's for treestands.I have a 31" draw so i had to design a 60" recurve i could shoot.Well thats what i did in the Tornado. Now, with that being said, i still like the feel of my 64" recurve better. I sale alot of Tornado's to guys with long draws and they just love it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 10:34:00 PM »
I'll agree with the 60" Bear Kodiak Hunter (it gains performance nicely at 30") and add the Martin(Howatt) Dream Catcher; also 60".  I draw to 30" and can get both to 31" without losing that smooth draw they both possess.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©