3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GFA Quiver Modification  (Read 204 times)

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
GFA Quiver Modification
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
There really aren't all that many items you can buy and be totally happy with right off the shelf without some suggestion as to how it could be either better, or just more functional.  I have several types of quivers and use each in different situations.

Here is a modification I did to the GFA quiver.  It took some playing with, but I finally have a configuration that does what I need it to do. I can fit 7 arrows and it now stays in place on my side or back.

Problem 1) a nylon strap NEVER stays in place so, I replaced it with leather. This one is just a cut from a raw leather belt from Tandy Leather, I just dyed it. The length is not adjustable without an allen wrench now, but is perfect for my applications so I don't care. I "broke" the belt in by working it/tightly rolling it in different directions so it was quite pliable.

Problem 2) It took a lot of playing with the parts that came with the quiver until I found a configuration that allows me to fill the quiver up. All but the way I settled on pressed on arrows, or didn't allow one to be in the quiver.  Picky, I know, but I am pleased with the result.

It rides nicely with the back of the quiver against me flat, and still full to capacity whether on my back or side with the hood facing forward and the fletches back. When I shoot I just shift it so that the fletches are up and hood down on my back.

Here are a few pics. I will take function over beauty every time.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: GFA Quiver Modification
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Thinking back, I can't remember if I could fill the capacity up even when the standard straps were in place, seems like there was a space issue with the attachment brackets getting in the way of an arrow.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Interesting, I just traded for a Fred G. quiver, When I get it I'll have see if I like it or will try your mods. I keep trying bow quivers but keep going back to Cat Quivers and side models of some sort....either purchased or homemade. Thanks for the info!!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:36:00 PM »
I think they sell a lot of these, I just couldn't get happy with it without a MOD

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Whatever it takes brother!   I'm convinced trad archery is 90+ % mental...  Please post the pics when you nail that Big Boy!
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Personally I've never had a problem with the nylon strap. The body of the quiver is held in place under your arm and when you want to slide the quiver forward or back behind you the nylon allows you to slide it quickly and easily. The buckle on the nylon strap slides smoothly allowing quick adjustment for a proper fit with light of heavy clothing.

I hope your modifications work out for you but don't throw away the original strap...just in case.   ;)
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
I have used it like this now for almost 2 years...after I threw out the nylon strap..LOL. The nylon slips a lot and just never stays in place for me. I use it a LOT for stalking and some on my mountain bike, I don't like it slipping around. The quiver is great for keeping a larger # of arrows still and quiet, at the ready.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
I'd guess you were carrying the quiver too low, it needs to be up under your arm where it will ride more securely.

This is in the instructions in Freds own words.

I wear my quiver on my right side, usually up as close to my arm pit as comfortable. In that way my arm holds the quiver against my ribs and it doesn’t move at all. Some folks prefer the quiver down near their waist, some slide it all the way around behind their back, with the feathers pointing up and the hood down near the waist. One friend wears his on his left side with the shoulder sling extended all the way, with his feathers pointing forward. Different...

It seems to me the longer the shoulder sling,

the more the quiver moves around as you walk.

The sling is instantly adjustable. Put your thumb under the little tab on the top of the buckle and lift it slightly while pulling on the strapping and it moves up or down quicker than I can tell you about it.  
But if you're happy with it the way you fixed it then that's all that matters.   :archer:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©