3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Custom Bow  (Read 658 times)

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Which Custom Bow
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Im still fairly new to traditional archery, I've been shooting wheel bows for over 20 yrs. and about 9 months ago bought a Martin Jaguar been shooting it the whole time,and getting pretty good with it. Got the form down and the tunning process, now im thinking of selling the wheel bow and going strictly traditional. I would like to have a bow built but how are the black widow bows. I need to sell or trade the Mathews before buying either, any recommendations. Thanks guy's.  :)
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline crandog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Custom Bow
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
The one that appeals to you most.  Its best if you can shoot one first.  Not trying to be sarcastic but for your first one it would be hard to buy a bad one.  Lots of sweet bows out there.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
Do a search. You'll find more info than you know what to do with.

Rusty
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Find a way to get out and shoot a lot of bows.  BW has a demo program.  I like the BW recurves, but I also like a lot of others like the Predator and the Great Plains Swift I shot recently.  Then there is the Tall Tines and..................  One nice thing about the BW bows is they hold value well and there are plenty of them built so they are easy to find used.  I have had three of them and shot them then sold them without costing me much more than shipping.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
The Classified section has many customs that won't set you back a new bow price. You should try some different bows before you build a custom. Black Widows bows are great bows but you don't know how they will shoot for you and what options you would want on one that is custom built and it may not work out?

It's all subjective as Rob DiStefano is fond of saying and its good advice. You will have less frustration and much more satisfaction with your custom build once your experience enough bows to know what works best for “you”.
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
The prob. with shooting one first is there just aren't alot of trad guy's selling or any place around here at least that i know of that sell black widow or any other kind of custom made bow. Bass Pro. or Cabela's but they don't have any take down recurves.
Dale

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Classified search blackwidow...

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Quote...xtrema312

"BW has a demo program."
---------------------------

http://www.blackwidowbows.com/store/Webpage.aspx?WebpageId=3

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
My main hunting buddy shoots a PSA Black Widow and it is a nice bow.In my opinion,the takedown BW has a handle with similar mass weight and grip of that of some compounds.Thus,making it easier for a smooth trasition from compound to stickbow
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »
I like the Dale Dye bows alot as well. Thanks for ihe input fella's this is exactally the type of info. im lookin for.
Dale

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
When you hold and shoot "the one", you'll know it.  Unfortunately/fortunately for me, that was a Schafer Silvertip.

Good luck.  The hunt is fun.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Do some reading of back posts on this site, see what people like.  Figure out if you want to try a recurve or longbow, pay attention to popular bows, some are mentioned quite a bit.  Then keep your eyes on the classifieds and try one or two.  If you buy nice used bows and take care of them you can get your money back or trade for something else.  When you find one you like, then it's time to order one just the way you want it, wood choices, weight, lenght...

Most of the nice custom bows come with a pretty long waiting period, some over a year.  That's a long time to wait for something you aren't totally sure of.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
30point- I just started a thread yesterday asking the same basic questions and got a ton of responses......good ones too I might add!
Check this thread out and read till your heart's content, hope this helps a little?
You and I are in the same boat I believe, not sure which one to choose.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=100067
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 06:01:00 PM »
If I had it to do over again I would wait longer before ordering a custom bow. I shot many different bows and then ordered what I thought I wanted. I was close but a longer bow would have been better for me. Go out of your way to get to a trad event or two and shoot every bow you can get your hands on. I also found going just a little lighter helped with my form and accuracy.

Good luck.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Thanks SEMO_HUNTER Some really great advice from the guy's. Thanks for all the replies im taking all the info i can, im just tryin to do my homework before taking the plunge.
Dale

Offline Koko Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
You will find that one is just not enough  :)   I waited a while and went to a couple shoots for three years before deciding on a new custom.  I settled in on one and love it but now there is another I would like to have - don't need it but... well you know.  Definitely try before you buy which ever one you choose.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! ~ Psalm 17

Dryad Epic

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
BW makes a fantastic product, and their test drive program makes it less dangerous to you & me... because we can shoot a bow for a few days and get a good feel for it.  I used to shoot compound... still have it, but rarely shoot it... now all I shoot is my Black Widow PMA (long-risered recurve).  I'm test driving a Black Widow PLX longbow now... and think that it may dethrone the PMA... which is a pretty hard thing to do!  Other than a fine custom longbow that I recently bought used, I am a 100% Black Widow guy, and really like them.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
95% of the bows you get for $400+ in the classifieds here are very good.

Right now there is a Treadway, a Schafer Silvertip, a Mohawk, a Kota, a Morrison, a Pronghorn, a Dale Dye, an A&H ACS, a Robertson, a Tomahawk and 2 Centaurs for sale in the classifieds, all between 50 and 60 lbs @ 28", all spoken highly of in several posts on Tradgang!

And that was just browsing the first page! I am certain there are some Black Widows close by as well   ;)  

But, from what I hear and read, Black Widow are very solid and reliable bows, with formidable power built in!

Good Luck, and post some pics when you get a bow   :p
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Thanks SveinD I've been lookin at those bows mentioned, I have a compound Mathews bow i need to get sold first, then it's on. And i'll be sure and post those picts.    :pray:
Dale

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Asking about a custom bow on here is like the whole ford, chevy, dodge debate.

I agree with the "shoot as many as you can" thing. Also buy used first.

I had a custom Bighorn built a long time ago. Cost a bunch then and probably more now. Bought 5 "used" Bighorns since and they all shoot good.

Ease your way into it. Black Widow makes a great bow, but one with your name on it will probably cost a bit more than your compound.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©