3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ready to buy first trad bow  (Read 280 times)

Offline htaylor3

• Trad Bowhunter
Ready to buy first trad bow
« on: February 06, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
Hey Guys,

Been reading all I can and also corresponding with a bunch of great guys here. I want to thank you all. The trip to Kalamazoo was fantastic.

I've been looking at a few bows here and corresponding with some guys and I'm still a little confused on draw weight to start with. I'm 5'10" with a 28" draw. I've looked at a couple bows that come in at 50# and 55#, but I think that may be too heavy to start with. I know when I teach kids to shoot rifles, I start with a .22 to teach sight alignment/sight picture, form, breathing, etc. I'm guessing I should follow my own advice with rifles as I walk this journey.

I guess I'm thinking that the smartest and most economical entry into trad bows might be to buy a Samick Sage 62" T/D at 45# for a buck thirty? This would be a light enough bow to learn form and it comes at a low price point. That leaves some room for a dozen arrows, a bag target and other needed accessories. I'm thinking 45# is a solid starting weight.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Hank

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ready to buy first trad bow
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
If you shoot 70# range compound go for the 45#.  That worked for me.  If you shoot 60# or not at all then I would go lower.

Did you shoot some stuff at Kzoo expo?
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline htaylor3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Haven't shot a compound in almost 20 years. Maybe the 40# would be a better start, right?

Offline pergradus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
I'm starting out with a 50# and I can draw it and hold it fairly easily, but I would definitely go to a local shop and try drawing some bows to get a feel for how heavy they are.

Offline htaylor3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
I'm headed to Gander Mtn right now. A couple of tradgangers have bows in the 50-55 range that I really like for both style and price. If I can hold them easily, I'll start there.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
I am with pergradus, go to a place that sell trad equipment and try,if you pull to your anchor and hold to 3 probably be a good place to start.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
40lbs is enuff I wouldn't go over that to learn with and I would keep it that way when you do go up in weight you can go back to work on form if you start to get bad habits from shoting more lbs

Offline youngarcher1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 02:39:00 PM »
i started with a 53 @28 i know i shouldnt have but my pocket book wouldnt allow for something to learn with then something to hunt with... If you can do it a 35-45 # would be great to learn with for form and then once you're comfortable with that go to a weight you would feel comfortable hunting  with if you want to hunt with trad that is. hope i helped but im sure you'll get a lot more feed back from some of the other guys they're a great bunch

Offline GrayRhino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Hank, I think you are on the right track and the .22 analogy is a pretty good comparison.  I would do what others have said and draw a few bows to see what weight feels comfortable to you, and to be sure your draw is a true 28" -- maybe you already did that @ Kzoo.

I've heard good things about Samick's as a quality entry level bow.  You mentioned classifieds here and that is a great place to find a quality bow at a good price.  

Welcome........and have fun!    :campfire:
God  now commandeth all men everywhere to repent.  Acts 17:30

"All bowhunting trips are good,  some are just real good!"  Bill Baker

"We're all trophy hunters...until something else comes along."  Glenn St. Charles

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
I'd say go pull a few bows back if you can... gauge where you are at right now and get a confortable weight... that way you don't end up getting a too heavy bow as a frist traditional bow and things don't work out as fast as you thought it would... that usually discourages newcomers... better to get that form down first and build your muscles as you progress in weight and skill.

Good luck, have fun and glad to have you with us.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
I started on a 55# bow and it was a mistake. I found myself shooting to quick and it became a habit. I bought a 44# bow and it really helped, but it is still a battle to slow down sometimes. I wouldn't advise anyone to start on any bow over 45#. I shoot a 48# bow now and I am very comfortable with that weight. Would like to buy a 52# bow in the future.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
I think a bow in the low 40's would be about right to start with. You will start with learning proper form and a heavy poundage bow will fight you during the learning process. I agree you should try pulling a few bows back and when you find one that feels right, maybe get one a tad lighter than that. imho
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline LH Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
The Samick Sage Recurve can be a great starter bow, I have one. But, who knows, you might find a Longbow might be the ticket! As the others have suggested, try as many as you can to find a comfortable wt & style, whichever way you go. Don't overbow, you'll be shootin' ALOT (trust me, it's addictive!) Welcome!
                                  Keith
If this was easy, everyone would be doin' it!

Offline htaylor3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
UPDATE: I went up to Gander Mtn as they are the closest place with any trad bows. They had a 30# and a 55# recurve. The 30# bow I think I could have held forever. I pulled the 55# back 5 times and went for a 5 count. The shakes started at about 4 seconds each time and I felt a bit of a knot in the lower bicep that let me know I was working part of a muscle that I don't use very often.
My guess is that a 55# bow would lead to short practice times. I think I'll go with the 40# to start with.
On a limited budget, I gotta make the right choice out of the box.

Thanks guys,

Hank

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©