3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: string whoas,need help  (Read 362 times)

Offline kirkwhitehead

• Trad Bowhunter
string whoas,need help
« on: June 10, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
been a couple years since I twisted a string  and it shows.

trying to get about 68" for a tiller string.
I tried to cut 16 strands B 50 at 78" started the twist 5" from the ends,twisted 2", folded over and twist everthing together.good so far.switch ends and repeat.some how I end up w/ a 60"bow string! it looks good and strong but that ain't right.
so  I decide to untwist it to get to the lenght I want when I get to about 63" one of the bundels is hanging lower,like it is alot longer than the other.So I twisted it back to 60" and will use it for the tiller string for a couple of youth bows that I have to build.
but I still need one for my bow!
I shouldn't have to cut string 20" longer than my target lenght but what am I missing here?

The sag was in the middle of the string,would bow tension pull that tight,along w/ serving?
this has never happened to me before,what gives?

kirk
kirk

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: string whoas,need help
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 01:23:00 AM »
I was having the same problem on the last few strings I made.  I ended up making the top loop of my string and then measuring out the remander of the string and made my bottom loop to the length I was shooting for.  I could not figure out what I was doing wrong either.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Kirk,

I make em 16" longer then the desired length and usually hit it pretty close.  Untwist that one and make a 62" for your new bow.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline kirkwhitehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
mike, my 8 yro son wants to build a bow now and he has visions of rabbit hunts. he talk for almost an hour about shooting rabbits this fall.

we need to talk about a blank for him.
thanks
kirk
kirk

Offline Minuteman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
I do mine 18" longer than desired length, make top loop, add as many twists as it took to make the top loop, then measure the length to the lower loop and make it the proper length.
 I usually end up cutting some off the ends so the plaited part isn't overly long. 16" is prolly close to right.
There sure is alot of air around a squirrel...eeyup.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
I jusr measured around my jig. To mak a string for my 60 inch shrew. The string length should be around 57 inches. The measurement around my home built jig was 74 inches a difference of 17 inches. and I also usually need to add 2 inches to come out right with the way I twist. I use about a 7 inch take up when startiong the ends.

So 20 inches longer than the wanted finished string length is close. You'd have room to add some twists to dial it in.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »
Kirk,

that's cool!!  Give me a call and we'll get him on the list.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Big Dave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »
Yeah, it's a lot better to make it too long rather than to short because you can cut off the excess, especially if you don't have a shorter bow to use it on.    :D    :banghead:    :D
Live today like you'll meet God tommorow (you might)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©