3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: does anyone here know anything about Glasgow, Montana?  (Read 577 times)

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
does anyone here know anything about Glasgow, Montana?
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
I  am looking at a potential job opportunity there .... I know its NE MT, its cold, its prarie/farm lands .... I wanted to see if anyone here has any first hand knowledge of the place?

right now I'm a Sr Switch Technician ... but I was sold 18 months ago from my company to a contracting group. It could be 1 year before they phase me out, 2 weeks, 2 years ... nobody know and there is absolutly no room now for career advancement.

Arkansas ... but I spent time in out west and know it somewhat, nothing probably quite like Glasgow though and those brutal winters (I've been through a Chicago and Minneappolis winter)

Anyway, this is a management position - a long term deal, a break into managing a location that is slated for a lot of advacements and expansions. Great career opportunity ... wonder how my 11 year old daughter and 9 year old son would adapt ?

my wife says if the money is good enough sure ..... Milk River runs through that area, the hunting/fishing has got to be very good ??

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: does anyone here know anything about Glasgow, Montana?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Might want to PM howler , I saw him post earlier and he's from Glasgow.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
ask it in the Montana Archers Section.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=77
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
That's the center of the infamous Milk River. We hunted there several years running and saw HUNDREDS of deer with each sit.
You're right about one thing though, it is COLD!

Look up Brian Roness on here. He lives there now and has for years.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Yeah, it will be cold at times in winter, -30 - -40 at night not uncommon.  Great hunting - elk, deer, birds, fishing in the reservoir.  Depends on what's important to you.  If you like wide open spaces, it's a great place, if you need every convenience known to man, probably not a good place.

The cold helps keeps the rif-raf out of this part of the country.

Take a trip there and check it out - this is about the coldest time of year, if you drive, stop in and see me in western ND
Dan Brockman

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
I've spent some time at Ft. Peck hunting elk.  Good elk up there - at least there was 10 years ago.  Hunted whitetails to the east - near Sydney.  Seems to be a lot of antelope in the area as well.  From what I could tell, the hardest part of living there was earning a living.  Sounds like you got that covered.  I'd be seriously considering it!!!
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
In these times you have to grab a good job no matter where it is. There are worst places than Montana that's for sure! Best of luck to you and your family!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
If you can live with the COLD 7-8 months out of the year, it's great hunting and fishing. In today's world a guy's got to do what he's got to do, to make a livin' for his family. I like the place myself!! Good luck and God bless!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Gotta do what's best for the family,doesn't hurt that it sounds like great hunting...
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Glasgow is less than glamorous.  However, for most men if you can hack the winters, its an outdoorsmen's paradise.  More to hunt and fish than a man has time for in one lifetime.  However, the big problem as I see it is the wife and kids?  Wives go a little crazy on the highline because of the wind and desolation.  The schools are not overly regarded and meth is a real issue.  However, the flip side is most people are as friendly as any you will ever meet.  They have a frontier spirit so to say.  I travel up to those parts every fall to bird hunt, and I love it.  My wife, however could never hack it up there.  So check it out and see what your family thinks.   Good luck, and get in touch when you corner those milk river whitetails.  :)

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
This is intgeresting I've found out a lot about Glasgow, that I never knew, and I've only been here 59 years

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
great email from you Steve, I appreciate the time you took to send them

I am going to apply for the position, I set the salary high enough to make the career move worth making. My wife is all for it, my children a bit skeptical but that's the case with any move we're discussing.

Thing is, we ARE going to move, it might be 2 weeks it might be 8 months but it is inevitable

Offline Pandaros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
Good luck to ya. I have a friend there who said the same thing, there's nothing there unless you like to hunt and fish, then you're in heaven.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 02:15:00 AM »
The best gig in the word is a good job in a small town!!  On the other hand if things go bad there is no replacing that job.  I'd go for it in a second though, Glasgow is pretty Close to Canada and you can come up here for some of our archery shoots!!

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
I wish you and your family the best of luck!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Took a helicopter flight up there from Great Falls and from 4,000 ft. you can see everything that's around there as far as the eye can see it...nothing.  The people are good people but man that's way out there.  A strong family will only get stronger.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by howler:
This is intgeresting I've found out a lot about Glasgow, that I never knew, and I've only been here 59 years
:laughing:    :laughing:
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Take a chance man! Amazing hunting and fishing opputunities, low crime,low traffic,good schools for your kids,& great people. You get use to the winters,ice fishing, dark house spearing outdoor oppurtunities year round.
                         GOOD LUCK, Phil

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
when I was young and foolish, I think I'm still foolish, me and a buddy had a great time at a local establishment in Glasgow. Right on the edge of the foothills as I recollect.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
The weather is calling for -32 degrees tonight in Glasgow (temp,not windchill).It has dropped more than 20 degrees here in the last two hours with the snow blowing sideways-just sayin...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©