3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kifaru Tipi  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Roughrider

• Trad Bowhunter
Kifaru Tipi
« on: February 06, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
DOes anyone have experience with the Kifaru Tipt's.  For two people, gear, stove, etc., would the six or eight man be a better choice?
Dan Brockman

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kifaru Tipi
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
One vote for the 8 man, but I don't own one!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
8 man lets a guy like me @ 6-1 stand up  in a lot more of the tipi.  I just traded in my 4 man for the 8.  The 4 is TIGHT for two guys hunting and you have to always be stooped over getting dressed and whatnot.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Two of us use my 8-man for 10-12 day hunts in Alaska's interior. We can both stand up in it simultaneously. We have lots of room for our bedrolls, firewood, duffels, packs and bows. I could make it work in a 6 man, but the extra room is welcome indeed when you're on a longer hunt.

Another vote for the 8 man tipi.

Offline WCSims

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Another vote for the 8, great shelters.

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Have a 6 man/medium stove....I'd think 2 with gear would be fine, but I'm only 5'7"....on a good day.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
yep 4 man with a stove is a one man tipi for sure.  

Rusty

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Another vote for eight man. If you camp in flat country, even a 12 man.  Problem around here is finding a level spot big enough for that large of a footprint.

Offline csimpson

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
I've got the 8 man with medium stove, great for 2 with all the gear.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
8 man and a tarp for the floor.  I love these tipi's but don't like not having a floor.
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
I have a 6-man with medium stove. It works well for two people.  8-person would definitely give you more room.  Depends a little on how you're going to use it.  If you're going to throw up the tent at the end of the road, the 8 would probably be better.  If you're going to pack in, you might opt for the six.  The 8-person isn't much heavier, but it has a substantially larger footprint.  Even with the 6-person I have, it's often difficult to find a space big enough to set it up.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I've hunted in two of them.  Rusty has a 4 man with a small stove and it's too small for 2 guys for any time in the field.

John has a 16 man that we have used twice for back country moose hunts.  It's very comfortable for 3-4 guys for an extended hunt.  He has the titanium stove for it . . . toasty.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
I've used the 8 man and it's great.I have a 6 man and I think its alot more versitile.You  can strip the 6 man down to just the tipi and stakes and it weighs a little over 5 lbs(cut a center pole at your campsite )If you are close to your truck you can use a liner and you have about the same amount of usable space as if you had an 8 man with no liner(because if you dont have a liner you dont want to touch the sides)
I think the 6 man has plenty of room for 3 guys

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Don't know if this helps, but this is a 6 man next to my truck for scale.  Myself and my two kids have camped several times, but the truck was nearby for storage..  If you're a minimalist, it would work fine and be easier to pack.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
8 Man serving as base camp home for 12 days in central Alaska.

Offline Phil Tuccillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Can you fit 2 cots in the 8 man? what size kifaru stove do you recommend for the 8 man S,M,or L.
                          Thanks, Phil

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Bigger is always better.  The weight difference and bulk difference between the 8-man and the 4 or 6 man is minimal when compared with the added space.  

Like Mike said, my 16-man is comfy for 3-4 with gear, and generally that's a good rule of thumb when choosing what size Kifaru tipi to get.  Divide the man rating by 4:  4-man is good for 1 person with gear.  8-man is good for 2 with gear.  12-man is good for 3 with gear, etc.

One thing to not overlook is headspace.  The tipi is tall immediately next to the central pole but rapidly gets shorter as you move away from the center.

I might add that having used practically every form of man-portable tent for almost 4 decades I have NEVER found a better option for light-weight heated tent space than the Kifaru tipis.  A top-quality product made right here in the USA.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
What material are they made of? Are they durable?
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »
I have had my eye on getting one of these buggers for long time and have often wondered whether the person rating is something to rely on. This post is very informational toward that end.  If I get one, which I plan to one day, I will go with an 8 person or bigger. For those of you that have them, what accessories or add-ons do you recommend…like liner, etc.  How easy is it to craft your own center pole in the bush assuming you have relatively straight skinny trees to work with?  What is the advantage of a titanium stove other then weight…do they last longer than the SS ones Kifaru sells?  Anyone know any know anyone with an 8 man plus for sale?
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
A liner for sure(especially for use in the Mid -West)and for that matter the mosquito netting would be a good idea back there as well.When weight becomes an issue you can always leave those things behind
Tim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©