3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: We need more trad. hunting shows on T.V.!!  (Read 10674 times)

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
We need more trad. hunting shows on T.V.!!
« on: January 11, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
In another thread a few others and I were saying how thankfull we are for Easton Bowhuntings show. If anyone, who frequents this web-site, has the resources to make a completely traditional archery show, PLEASE DO IT!!!!!
  I'm sure most people in here are getting bored with the standard wheelie bow show. It's so boring, like the animals have a script. The animal comes in to 30 yds. The hunter raises their bow, they shoot, blah blah blah. Once in a while they show mess ups, but the hunter is more surprised that they missed than not.
 There are ALOT of sponsers for this web site and for a couple other trad sites on the web. Surely there are enough resources to get a show made and put it on the Outdoor Channel or the Mens Channel (MOR). Heck I'll host the thing!! LOL! Please for the love of God, give us a show!!!!      :pray:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: We need more trad. hunting shows on T.V.!!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
At least the some of the bigger video shows (like Primos) is showing more hunts with trad equipment than they used to.

Offline Steve G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
A Good show would be like letting the Genie out of the bottle and for sure attract boatloads of converts to Traditional!!! Someone should do it!!

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
Let's just hire a camera crew to follow Terry around.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline TimberBound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
Some good trad hunts would sure liven things up on the hunting shows. I've never seen anyone use selfbows on any hunting shows that I've ever seen, and I'm sure that you could get a really neat show going where the hunter shows you how they made their equipment, then takes an animal with it. It would sure evoke some respect for those who selfbow hunt

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Actually, for the good of bowhunting in general, it would be FAR better if there were NO hunting shows on T.V.  Most are trashy, poorly done, bloody, and FEED the anti-hunters with more than enough ammo for their crusade.

For every good one, such as what Primos does, there are a hundred that are just plain lousy!

As Pogo said, "We have found the enemy and he is us!"  Think about that, people!

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
I know what your trying to say about the percentage that exhibits gluttonous behavior. But I think most trad guys show a bit more respect for their quarry.
 The anti's would love it if we crawled in a hole and backed down. Thats how they get things done. There are many organizatons out there fighting for what we do. We should stand strong and not be ashamed of what we do. Blood is part of the hunt. Good editing can be done to minimize it being showed. We could do it in a tasteful manner.
 I think getting a show out there that exhibits the spirit of traditional archery may influence other shows. From what Ive seen we are more greatful for our harvests than the average hunter and it takes way more patience and perseverance to get an animal within "our zone".

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 08:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by 8th Dwarf:
Actually, for the good of bowhunting in general, it would be FAR better if there were NO hunting shows on T.V.  Most are trashy, poorly done, bloody, and FEED the anti-hunters with more than enough ammo for their crusade.

For every good one, such as what Primos does, there are a hundred that are just plain lousy!

As Pogo said, "We have found the enemy and he is us!"  Think about that, people!

Too Short
:notworthy:    :notworthy:
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
The only thing that influences any of these shows is ratings and sponsor dollars. There are many examples of the idiocy going on, on TV in the HIP forum now. Bad news for you, the only reason Traditional Hunters appear better is the smaller number of us. Rifle, compound, etc. all have more than a majority of ethical hunters also, but being so many more of them, the stupid ones make a bigger bleep on the radar. Tred Barta does the Traditional thing on TV and hows that been working out for us?

Heck the WHA made a format change and now all the money is running back to them. All of these companies that backed away from them are returning. Television seems to corrupt even the best of intentions.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
I'll help in anyway I can.  There are enough of us here to make a interesting show.  Need more good TV shows for younguns to watch anyway.
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
Let me ask this. Do you who oppose a good show own hunting videos?

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
I have a tendency to agree more with what Paul B. and vermonster say. Even the couple of 'trag' guys on tv are a 'little over the top' for me in terms of showmanship/personality......I want more of a quiet/solemn hunting experience for myself, so I don't get anything out of watching someone act for a camera.
I'd rather be in the shop tinkering with gear rather than sitting in front of the idiot box......but I do agree there is a need for quality shows since the outdoors network is not going away.

Offline kerry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
I agree with Paul and Charles after recently subscribing to Outdoor Channel. The vast majority of big game hunting programs are offensive to me, AND non-hunters as well.  

Arwin, I'm not suggesting  we "crawl in a hole and back down". I'm not even talking about ANTIhunters, but rather the nonhunter who surfs by and forms an opinion from poorly presented programs.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Don't oppose a good show on TV Arwin, just seems that no matter how good the intentions are, they end up changing for the sake of ratings and end up being more of an infomercial for sponsors. Also they all seem to feed into the antlers are king frenzy.

And no, I don't own any hunting videos, I prefer to go hunting when I can, not watch others do it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
I can see where you guys are coming from and I respect your opinions. I know what you mean by the antler frenzy too. My wife, who doesn't hunt, commented on that one day. I guess how I see it, having a show that is representative of what we do, and with strong hunting ethics would be neat to watch.
 Scary as it may be, a percentage of hunters who use compounds or guns, think that hunting with traditional equiptment is unethical and irresponsible(even though we know better). If their opinions scatter out to non hunters or anti's how long will it be before hunting with a simpler tool is challenged.
 Pioneers like Fred Bear, Saxton Pope and Art Young, and a few others made movies and distributed them or showed them to the general public to show how effective simple archery equiptment is. If it weren't for those movies, how far along would bow hunting be today? Most of the bowhunting seasons today, are based on these guys examples of simple archery equiptment from years ago. To help preserve the heritage of our way of life, shows or videos recruit young ones with day dreams of hunting in far off places. I know watching Fred Bear, Ron LaClair(Michigan Outdoors), Bowhunting October Whitetails, influenced me heavily.
 To each their own. I think we do need an ethical, informative and responisible traditional hunting show to support what we do. I'm going to sit back and observe some more comments and opinions. Maybe by hearing opinions good and bad would help in making the best show ever!   :campfire:

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 10:22:00 AM »
If you could get it made that way and stay that way, I would support it also. Now getting kids who aren't involved in hunting already to watch is a pipe dream I fear. It's not like the days of the past where the theater was the thing and TVs weren't everywhere.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Get the Wensel Brothers on the TV! I bought Primal Dreams while I was in the states and watched it three times. And three times it brought tears to my eyes. I watch all the outdoor channel programs while I'm there as we don't get anything here. But like a lot of you have said, it gets boring and crass after a while. If they could show bowhunting with the love, respect and passion those guys have, then imagine what it would give the young people getting into bowhunting, or just hunting in general.
Graham

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
Unfortunately, Graham, these tv 'hunting shows' seem to be more about the hunter's 'personality'-horns-using the sponsor's gear-etc. There are many quality 'how-to' videos on the market, but those don't get shown on the outdoor network.

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
Obviously there must be a real hunger for more traditional bowhunting on TV.  Tred Barta's show keeps repeating over and over on the Outdoor Channel.  I have heard different compound shooters mention how they really like the show.  The guy's definitely full of himself but you can tell he must have a following.  The latest Three Rivers catalog has several of his products.  It would be interesting if they at least made a pilot that portrayed your average stick bow guy each week - not necessarily the same guy over and over.  My money would be on it being a real success.

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
Very interesting topic, as my buddy & I are in the process of filming our hunts. We have a digital camera that easily could be edited into production quality. We just bought a DOUBLEBULL MATRIX, & are dedicating the entire 2007 season to hunting in the blind. What if there was a collective effort by the active,dedicated members of Trad Gang.com? Just picture this, if you will. As many of us from across the land collectively focus our efforts upon capturing quality production eligible traditional hunting footage."TRAD GANG.COM VIDEO PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS
"TOTALLY TRADITIONAL". An exciting,informative series that invites you upon an enlightening journey into the wonderful world of traditional archery. Tune in as TRAD GANG members, from across the Contentinental United States, share their experiences afield. Additionally there are opportunities to gain insight into the processes of string making, arrow building, longbow/recurve setup, selfbow instruction,treestand safety/setup, groundblind setup, and of course various hunting related tips. These are all available to you in our "THIS IS HOW WE DO IT!!!" segment of each show." " hunting adventures were experienced in  natural environments. Hunts took place on either public/state game lands, or on private property, where permission was ethically secured with the landowner. One will never see a canned hunt, or a high fence on a TRAD GANG VIDEO PRODUCTION, as we like to do things diferently!!!"  Anyway this is something I've thought about for a loooooong time. As most of you do, I've got several ideas to contribute. If nothing else we develope a 2.5hr dvd, & then submit the hunts for viewing, a different hunt each week. What do you think. I'll personally gaurantee right here right now, I'll do whatever I can to help this become a reality.
Dave Mullins
#11 4th Street
Winfield, WV 25213
304-542-8270
[email protected]   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :pray:    :pray:    :pray:
"Seek Quality Not Quantity"
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©