3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: We need more trad. hunting shows on T.V.!!  (Read 10675 times)

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: We need more trad. hunting shows on T.V.!!
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Yet another idea!!!!!!!! Each week there is a"Sponser's Spotlight". Sponsers from TRAD GANG.COM are interviewed and/or their business is highlighted and introduced. Heck we could talk to T.J. @ TBM. There are enough of us in the traditional that could really make this a reality. There are the TOTALLY FREAKIN AWESOME WENSEL BROTHERS that may be consulted. People w./ experirence in legal disclaimers, video production, marketing. DANG IT, I WISH I'D NEVER SEEN THIS POST  :goldtooth: . I'll make sure to get good video footage.
"Seek Quality Not Quantity"
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
It sounds like a good start! From the amount of videos in the members forum, most have the capabilities to make this happen. Again, with the help of good editing and viewing each video turned in, we can make sure whats being put out represents the spirit of what we do. I think we're headed in the right direction. I like the idea of having a combined effort of all trad gangers to make it all "ours". Lets keep getting some more ideas and coments from everyone in here! Good or bad your input helps makes it better!     :clapper:     :pray:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
You have a great idea too about spotlighting some of the sponsers. There are alot of guys and gals putting out great products that can be shown. If we could get some of the well known experienced people to help.........oh man my heads going to explode!!!! Show some events like Comptons, and etc. There are alot of trad shoots that are great examples of our awesome community. I would love to see guys like "The Ferret" who hunts with self bows. I like the idea of having the common guy shown. Their reaction on film is way more entertaining than someone who's done it a thousand times. I feel traditional archery has just recently come back strong. I feel it may have gotten buried a little with technological advances in the last 20 yrs. After all, the simple stick and string is were it all began and it should regain it's place amongst the hunting community.

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 01:54:00 PM »
ttt
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
How about this."The 10 ring" A segment of the show that gives an announcement of upcoming 3D events throughout the usa. We could have trad clubs send in the dates. We could do it in the regions southeast/northeast/southwest/northwest/central USA. Just list 2-3 per region. Throughout the spring/summer we could announce an event 30days in advance to give folks a heads up. ALSO!!!!!
KIDZ CORNER!!!! With parental consent a trad active child's photo & nonspecific bio is highlighted on the show. Example: This week's KIDZ CORNER features Hunter mullins, from WV. Hunter likes to shoot his recurve. favorite target. some little stuff like that. Just another idea.  :thumbsup:
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
I'm sorry!!!! this will serve for 50 shows. Dnr update. each show will have a quick update about dnr goings on.   :saywhat:
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »
I'm liking it! As mentioned too by some, that the focus WILL NOT be on trophy hunting or such. Any animal taken the hard way is a trophy! We need more input! Getting support from TBM or Primitive Archer magazines would be great. Black Widow is a sponser for Bowhunter Magazine T.V., maybe we could get sponsers like them to come aboard. Kids definitly need focus too. They are the future of our sport!

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »
Years ago, I got into it with the "Whack Master", Ted Nugent.  I tried for hours to explain to him that the Anti-hunter is NOT our concern.  The Anti-hunter will ALWAYS be just that...an Anti!

The NON hunter is the one with whom we should be concerned.  The non-hunter tunes in to the outdoor channel and he/she WILL be offended.

Last fall I was in a camp with satellite T.V. and one of the guys put the outdoor channel on.  I WAS OFFENDED!  I saw people making gut shots on film, finding a stiff deer (supposedly an hour later), and then claiming for the camera that it was a great shot in the lungs.  I saw the "Whopee" crowd who took all the respect for the animal away.  I was disgusted.  How would a non-hunter feel?

I will say that I have seen some of the Primos stuff and met some of there guys.  They are first class.  Why can't the others be?

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
I hear you Paul. I e-mailed one of the newer show hosts (hint - it's a married couple) and told them that their show wasn't bad until they started the "I just smoked, slammed, put the smack down, etc. on a great buck!" etc., etc. I told them it was demeaning to the animal and they deserved more respect than that. I did hear back from one of the hosts who said my point was taken and he said they'd try to watch what they say in the future. We'll see.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
On another site I had been working with a film group on an entirely different kind of show, but they faded away. If you are going to do a hunting show to generate interest here is my suggestion.

Pick kids from around the country and pair them with mentors. Record everything from their practicing and taking the Hunter Safety course to scouting, setting stands and actually hunting. Make it about the kids and the learning experience, emotional growth and learned respect for nature. Actually educate the audience on what goes into hunting not just what happens at the kill. There are plenty of shows that focus on adults hunting and they teach very little of real use to a beginner. You want to recruit hunters and get kids interested, then show them the way.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Great idea Vermonster! I would like to see you and all others who have real concerns about hunting shows on t.v., being included on this "show" thing. Your beliefs and ethics would be a refreshing addition. My daughter and I went through the IBEP course this past fall and I seen a bunch of kids who would make great candidates for something like that.   :thumbsup:

Offline 8th Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
I worked with Stoney Wolf Video Productions in the early 90s.  We produced 13 hunting videos and before I would commit to them I made it plain that I had ultimate editing control.

The entire purpose of these films was to EDUCATE and INFORM.  Entertainment was secondary.  I refused to kill for the sake of getting a film finished.  No blood and gore, no "pass throughs" repeated over and over.  We got hundreds of compliments over the years we did this and no complaints.  

So...why can't these new films be that way?  The answer, I am sorry to say, is in those who watch the films.  They WANT the joking, the blood, and the hero stuff.  What a sad state of affairs!

I finally quit filming just for those reasons.  Now I just hunt for the pure love of it.  Hunting should never have become a spectator sport, in my opinion.  

Too Short
Too Short  or Too F. Short

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
It sounds to me like you may have some connections, 8th! If this could be done in a fashion that was fitting to you and all others, would you be willing to help or give advise on how to get started? I wouldn't want it to be just for the sake of spectating, but educational. There are alot of new comers to our "family" who could use guidance from experienced people. Reading info is great, but sadly to say most people get their info from the t.v. nowadays.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2007, 05:34:00 PM »
I would love to see a traditional only hunting T.V. show. More people need to see what traditional hunting is all about. Hunting is not a spectator sport but when your not out hunting there is noting wrong with sitting down and watching some. I would like to help out any way I could.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
When dealing with "viewers" on a national level, we have to realize it encompasses a full spectrum of humans, from curious unopinionated non-hunters all the way to the neon back slapping war whoopers who really believe that muzzleloaders are still primitive weapons. The Boone & Crockett Club brought out their own TV show last year (Big Game Profiles) that concentrated on the animals more than individual hunters. They stressed fair chase, ethics, conservation, etc. From my understanding their first season ratings were nothing special with most viewers simply seeing the shows as boredom. I cringe every time I see some guy blow away an immature buck the first day on stand, then turn to the camera and say, "We are DONE in Wisconsin!" as if he's on a job site.
    We recently hashed over the possibility of making a half hour version of our Primal Dreams DVD to be distributed to junior high schools nationwide. Talk about a project that would influence hundreds of thousands of youngsters old enough to figure out that hunters are not all bad guys!
    There is nothing wrong with having fun while hunting but we must never forget the element of respect when dealing with life and death.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
GENE!!!!!!! Thanks for your input!!! I wouldn't know the first thing on getting a show started. I've heard a few great ideas. You and your brother know more than most on the best way to go about this. We really need a completely traditional show on t.v. One done in the fashion of Primal Dreams would be awesome! I have a feeling there are many who visit this site and other trad sites who feel the same. Right now, other than a few glimpses on other shows, Fred Eichler is carrying the torch for traditional hunters on t.v., but he can't do a completely traditional show. Please help!!        :notworthy:

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »
I like to watch hunting on TV but like the others here i get sick and tired of some of the disrespectful showboating. Don't get me wrong i have whooped it up a little when all the hard work and planning has payed off with a good buck etc. But some of the goings on that are viewed by a mass audience made up of hunters non hunters and anti hunters are sickening. Any one that has taken the life of an animal doesnt need to view on national TV a deer in it's last seconds of life followed by a victory dance and someone proclaiming, well i have done it. When we all know that working alone they couldn't successfully hunt and kill a paper bag let alone a pope and young buck . Most of the hunts looked canned. Show me fair chase and animals going about there every day business i don't mind a well placed shot in the picture but leave the rest of the gore and countless retakes out. And please don't show me a turkey that was just taken only to see it picked up and have it stick out straight from the guys back because it's stiffer than a board. I like real hunts not staged garbage. And some good trad hunts would be nice to see.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gene Wensel:

We recently hashed over the possibility of making a half hour version of our Primal Dreams DVD to be distributed to junior high schools nationwide. Talk about a project that would influence hundreds of thousands of youngsters old enough to figure out that hunters are not all bad guys!
    There is nothing wrong with having fun while hunting but we must never forget the element of respect when dealing with life and death.
Gene,
A 1/2 hour production of "Primal dreams" made for schools is a near perfect project that all of us here could and should help you to realize, logistically AND financially, if needed.
Help us help you!!!   :)  
Thank you man

Alex
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
Lot's of very, very good ideas. Mr. Wensel thank you very much for your input. As for the idea for school distribution great idea!!!  :thumbsup:
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
I agree with 8th Dwarf on this. My wife is a non hunter but supports my love of hunting. She knows the effort I put in to scouting, practicing and hunting and that I come home empty handed many,many more times than I manage to get one. She also knows that it really doesnt matter to me if I get one or not. But, she gets mad watching hunting shows she could easily turn into a anti hunter by watching these trash shows. As Paul said Heck they offend me..a hunter.
 That said, A show that showed traditional hunting in a respectfull way, maybe interview boyers, arrowsmiths, interview some of the living greats, perhaps have segments about the greats who have gone on, a cooking segment, shooting style segments, maybe primitive bow building segments. I would love to see a show like that.
 Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©