3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: We need more trad. hunting shows on T.V.!!  (Read 9858 times)

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: We need more trad. hunting shows on T.V.!!
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2007, 12:25:00 AM »
Actually I think of this idea of a completely traditional bowhunting show often. I have promised myself that if my "ship ever comes in", I would focus on this project exclusively. Having managed a hunting/sporting goods business for several years, I have, unfortunately, seen most of all hunting videos out there. As many of you know, a sad state of affairs. From Nuge's obnoxious show to all the others, I spend the majority of the time completely offended by all the garbage being put out there at the expense of the animals we love. I use to con myself by saying that I watched this trash to see the all the wonderful animals, now, I search long and hard for ethical, principled, bowhunting. Very slim pickings. I really liked Vermonsters ideas and I will always appreciate Stoney Wolf's videos like "Dream Hunt". Hopefully someday someone within our ranks will try again. T
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2007, 12:37:00 AM »
Think about some of the other things that are done with film and TV series. In Europe I believe they show gory accident films to people who are convicted reckless/drunk drivers, stomach churning stuff. They are also obliged to work in casualty mopping floors of blood.The idea was to get them to think about their behaviour on the road. Series like ER, CHIPS,Miami Vice etc use the ugly parts of human life to 'bring out stories of heroism and the human spirit, blah blah' The fact is humans are visual creatures and the story lines are about humans. We are a self interested species, this is what makes TV so effective.

I agree with 8th Dwarf, 'Hunting should never have been made a spectator sport'. On the other hand I like the idea of showing all the other aspects of becoming a hunter and mentoring, because done the right way viewers might see the value from the process. Very occasional kills may show the result of things done well. I doubt that this could be done well in a way that attracts viewers. I fear that audiences are so trained by the media to seek 'action' and 'drama' ( hokey faked trash, think 'Reality' TV) and 'heroes'that such a show would flop. Most TV is on a simple formula, "Set scene, action, main character experiences adversity, action, success, hero shot, curtain." Ho hum.

It is the stuff that goes on in your head and your heart in the quiet, long hours afield that matters.That stuff is very personal and you can never show it honestly on a publicly broadcast film. Ask 8th Dwarf. The Wensels came closest with Primal Dreams.

Humility and respect are not 'TV' subjects in this era of simplistic, self interested, puerile, money oriented, mass-media productions.

"hunting should never have been made into a spectator sport"

Chris g

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2007, 02:14:00 AM »
Gene- I was so impressed with the shortened version of 'primal dreams'; that I bought the whole primal dreams cd for my sons/grandchildren.
 I think you could do a good presentation in a shorter time.
 While too short is right about the negative impact of shows- tv is the medium that gets the most attention.
 And I am one that was 'genetically clicked on'- to bowhunting: when I saw Fred Bear on the American Sportsman show.
 As we all know; Primos is a class act- even though Wills ears look suspiciously Vulcan    :)  
 When you look at see 'Primal Dreams'; you know what can be taken from your heart: and put on the screen.
 It can be done.... I am though: cautious about the thought.
 Overall seems like the best idea is to get 'primal dreams' out there for bowhunter ed classes; and to show it to kids in school.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Viking69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2007, 09:53:00 AM »
I think my favorite hunting footage from a video is the fella with the longbow at the end of the Traditional Vision Quest Video. Shows the guy hiking in to his stand, mountains in the background, cold fall air, crosses a river, then gets a shot opportunity at a great buck. Never says a single word the whole time. A little guitar playing in the background and focused on the experience. Probably never find a high dollar sponser for a show like that. I can't stomach these shows where someone takes an animal then makes excuses like "well it's only a 5x5 bull, but it is the last day and we just didn't get a chance at the big one". The disrespect shown the animal with a comment like that is unfathomable.

A show concentrating on traditional archery, bowhunting and getting into the woods as an experience with a little how-to or woodcraft included would be great. A show that you could watch with your son or on a evening with a troop of boy scouts that focuses on a positive message and values.

Personally, I cringe when I seen OLN, or the Outdoor Channell and it's one more compound wielding snuff film after another.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2007, 10:11:00 AM »
Totally agree Viking! Going over what I've read we have a great outline for an awesome show. There are alot of similar likes and dislikes. I think I may be making some calls or writing a few letters. I still like the idea of video contribuitions from everyone in here. That makes it everyones. How about,"Trails of the Trad Gang" for a title or "Trad Gang Trails"? I don't know, I'm just some dude behind a computer screen! LOL! I would really like to see a variety of stuff. I don't think I have ever seen a selfbow hunt on t.v. It should show the building of the bow all the way to the hunt.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Viking69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
Arwin,

Ted Fry from Raptor Archery is giving his combo self bow workshop, bear hunt in Idaho this year. How about that for a show. Going to the mointains of Idaho to a remote hunting camp to build self bows and hunt bears. I would guess that there are more than a few of us who would enjoy being able to see that (wish I could afford to go myself).

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »
I really like Vermonster's idea: a show about KIDS, about learning, mentoring, growing up. All the hard work that goes into learning to hunt and learning to shoot.

There was a post on here a while ago by a young man in (sub?)urban California who really wants to learn to hunt, but has no one to teach him / help him. Perfect candidate! How many such kids and young adults would jump at the chance if only they had a chance?

Gene's Primal Dreams for schools also sounds fantastic.

I would love to help in any way I could.
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
Like that idea Viking! It's that kind of stuff that would be neat to see. So many ideas in here to make three seasons of shows!   :clapper:

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
I think you guys are onto something here!!!!

Online ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
I like what I'm seeing here! Let's keep pushing these ideas, and it might just become reality.
 How about doing OsageTree's "Home grown hunting equiptment,2007" edition.

Offline TimberBound

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
That's exactly what I was talking about earlier Arwin. Show the picking of the bow wood, the shaping and tillering, the finishing and first arrow to finally the one arrow that takes a deer. That would be a real journey that would fascinate many people. Come on, people watch mythbusters, American Chopper and other stuff, surely they would watch the makings of a bow. A Tradgang show would be the icing on the cake.

TimberBound

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
What does it cost to put on a show!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
$50,000 for an hour of airtime on the Versus network. Plus all the costs in the making of the actual show. Better start saving.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
lol I hear that.  What about a trad gang DVD just with the members hunts from the year, and maybe donate the money somewhere.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Holy Moly! I didn't think it would cost that much for a show. Wifishkiller has a good idea. Make a members video and use the sales money for a good cause. If it comes out good maybe someone will pick it up and turn it into a program.

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2007, 04:21:00 PM »
Sounds good!  If this is something that people will do it will give me a good reason to buy that gl 1

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
$50,000/season. how many sponsors are on this site, & how many members are here. Could we use our strenght in #'s to generate a sizeable amount of cash? I'm just trying to think of a way to get it done. How,when,Who would/should develop a sound universal checklist of do's/dont's for all the participating members to adhere to, while compiling video footage. Is there one person, or central location where the video footage will be submitted for master editing? Can we get the moderator of this site involved, I've no clue who that is, sorry for my ignorance on that one. When do we try to collectively agree upon a reasonable time table to actually begin simpy obtaining/submitting video footage. Again I'll ask this question. Is there a need for a roll call, a committment list of members that want to voice their willingness to become dependable, consistent contributors to this project? Alot of questions, but I believe with each answer not only will more questions be raised, but ultimately we'll end up with a great universal operational concept with which to follow, and sort of keep everyone across the country on the same page. Am I making any sense?????
"Seek Quality Not Quantity"
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline LEFTY_ IN_ WV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2007, 06:05:00 PM »
An additional thought. I think it's safe to say that Primal Dreams is an absolutely phenomenal cinematic work  :knothead:  . I'm just really jacked up because this is important to me, It is a way of life for me, a guiding philosophy.We are engaged in great brainstorming. WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!  :clapper:
"Seek Quality Not Quantity"
>>>===LEFTYINWV===>

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gene Wensel:
We recently hashed over the possibility of making a half hour version of our Primal Dreams DVD to be distributed to junior high schools nationwide. Talk about a project that would influence hundreds of thousands of youngsters old enough to figure out that hunters are not all bad guys!
    There is nothing wrong with having fun while hunting but we must never forget the element of respect when dealing with life and death.
I spoke about this to my fiance earlier today. She is a sixth grade teacher in Missouri. She told me all about the junior high shools providing Hunter Education in the school. This would be a perfect place to show what should be in the minds of hunters or anyone else that goes into the woods and mountains for that matter.
I recently met one of her students, a twelve year old boy who was absolutely crazy about bowhunting. I've left my copy of the DVD for him to watch and any of his friends that want to watch it also.
As for Arwin's idea about putting together a series from videos from Tradgang members, I can't think of a better source. One of the things that got me interested when I was a boy, was a program over here called 'Out of town'. It was presented by a guy called Jack Hargreaves. He showed all sorts of countrylife as well as fishing and hunting. It also showed him preparing for his trips out, for example, tying flies for a fishing trip. This was a no nonsense, practical guide to the ways of the then British countrylife. I'm sure this sort of format would still work today, given a little bit of thought and planning.
Graham

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2007, 06:58:00 PM »
Hey Uk thats great! I do have to be fair though. The idea for Tradgangers to send in their videos was "Lefty in WV"'s. I think it would be awesome. So many different people in here from so many walks of life. Different techniques and styles. I don't think a show like that would ever get boring! All of us specialize in a certain way of shooting or hunting thats unique to the person. It definitly wouldn't be the same thing over and over again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©