3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever shot a dart target  (Read 720 times)

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever shot a dart target
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
My daughter and I went to a local archery shop yesterday and shot their dart archery systems targets.  It is an interactive video screen. We shot it from 20 yards. It has actual video of animals in the wild with hundereds of different scenarios as far as angles, brush, other animals etc. Your scenario pops up on the screen and you have about 15 seconds to make your shot and you only get points if you hit in the unmarked vital zone. You have to use a special blunt tip that they provide for you, however you use your arrows. It is a very humbling expeirience I can shoot pretty well at a 3D target or a block that is setting still, but it seems like these animals move every time you get ready to release with this system. This is as close to a real hunting situation that I have seen for target shooting.  I believe there is also a system out there called technohunt that is vary similar. Anyway we had a blast for a gloomy winter day and it was a lot more fun than shooting a bag or block target in our garage, however I still would pick stumping or a good 3D course in the woods.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever shot a dart target
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
I have shot them, and I agree That I would rather be outside. However, it is a cool thing to do and I hope to shoot it few more times this year.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
By the way, the system I have been shooting is the technohunt.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
I have shot them and it can be humbling. I think that is because a lot of the animals look as if they are further than 20 yards.

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
I am glad you were able to shoot the dart system with your daughter.  I thought it was pretty cool when I shot one.  That has been about 15 years ago.  I don't know where one is in a reasonable distance to drive, but if I did I would go shoot every now and again.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Our local shop had a DART system when they first came out (15 years or so ago). It was pretty fun when you couldn't get outside and shoot. They even held an "all trad" shoot one day. Lots of different games besides just the usual animal shoots. They had flushing birds, flying clay targets, and a bunch of other stuff......fun, fun!

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Yea, the dart systems are fun. We have one at our local archery shop. The new wore off a few years ago but it's still fun to shoot it from time to time when the weather's nasty out.
 My wife shot it for the first time with me last winter and really enjoyed herself.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
I have shot both,the dart system I have shot
was in a enclosed room 20 yrd. like a semi trailer in shape. very realistic. also pricey,
20 dollars an hour. those systems run around
60k new.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
I've shot the DART system and they are a lot of fun.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
I've done it a couple times at an out-of-town friend's indoor range.  The first time it was with borrowed carbon arrows the shop owner loaned me (heck of a nice guy - but they were overlong and spined wrong).  They were also shooting about a foot high for me.  I made up some cedars with the round blunt heads that have the reflective shoulder and the next times were much better.

Once I figured out if you treated the targets like small game at 15 yards I was bang on.  If you think "moose" and the image is 15 yards away and only 12" at the shoulder you fool yourself.  Shoot at the screen, not the animal (if you get my meaning).

But it is a blast on a crappy day.  I wish we had one locally and a few trad shooters to attend.

The two of us usually impress the compound shooters.  We did a "foresome" and as a joke we both tried shooting as soon as the animal appeared.  The sight shooters couldn't do that.  One guy took what seemed like two minutes to hold the bow up, look down the shaft, lift the bow to draw (so why look down the shaft if you then lift it?), get his face all plugged into the gizmos on his string, align the sights and eventually trigger his release.  He timed out several turns.  We'd step up and snap shoot as soon as the vitals came by.

My buddy was in a league using the Dart screen and that seems like it would be a lot of fun.  He also went several times to practice on a species specific video before a Caribou hunt he went on.  Seems like a great idea to get somewhat used to unfamiliar game.

As I remember you also get a chronograph readout so you can tell if you are drawing consistantly.  Sure beats a styrofoam block!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Claym

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Sounds like fun. May have to see if there's one close by
-Clay

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
If your daughter had fun, take her again.  That is where the real fun is.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
I loved shooting the DART system. I started shooting it many years ago. It really helped my shooting improve during the season when regular practice time dropped off. The local shop here has one, but it is broke and they don't want to fix it due to the expense and not many people use it. I wish it was back up and running.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Sheepshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
My son and I have been going to a Traditional DART league for the last 8 years. My wife comes with me now too! Not that good of practice but it's a great social gathering with other traditionalists and a good way to pass our long Canadian winters!

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Have shot it and really liked it....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Hood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
I always liked the techno hunt the best. But haven't shot at one for quite some time. They seem a little expensive to shoot.
All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players.
Performers and portrayers, each another's audience.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by cyred4d:
I have shot them and it can be humbling. I think that is because a lot of the animals look as if they are further than 20 yards.
I agree with that statement.  You are shooting at 20 yds but some of the animals are definatly filmed at distances than that.  Regardless, it is a blast and can be great indoor change when it is cold outside.  

The dart system here is set up at 25yds so it is a bit more challanging.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
Lots of fun!!
Here in Coshocton we  have a place w/the Techno-hunt..........kinda pricey to do often, but a whole lot of fun once in a while, esp.. with 2 others as the price is better w/3 or more......

best part------you don't have to chase your arrows down when you miss!  :biglaugh:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
I have, few years ago and was good fun, goto take it for what it is...dont expect real life cause its not.
But Still good
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Every Wednesday night in the off season a bunch of us trad guys shoot "continuous play" mode, so it is one sequence after another no stopping for score.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©