3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Eternal Camp Fire with Chris Surtees  (Read 980 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
The Eternal Camp Fire with Chris Surtees
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
I spoke with Larry this morning about being lead to start this thread and Larry said he would be honored to have this thread be an on going story book of the hunts that will come out of Chris' memory.  I think it will be very special to keep them all preserved on one thread to honor Chris' contributions to this site, its members, and the St Jude Auction.

Larry has told me more than once what TradGang meant to Chris, and when we was in Iraq for some 20 months TradGang helped him stay connected with his love of Traditional bowhunting and in touch with his his many friends.  It was like therapy for him and helped him 'get away' when he could not.

There are a lot of items of Chris' spread out among many TradGangers, and more of Chris' items will become available on the St Jude Auction this year as well as some other efforts to spread his hunting equipment around.

If you have a hunting story that involves Chris through any connection and would like to share it please feel free to do so on this thread.  If you have already shared a story here on Tradgang(seems like there was one but I can't remember by who at the moment) please post the link to the thread here.

Chris' presents at Solana Ranch 2011

A Collection of hunt with Chris at Solana Ranch 2011  

Story by Curt Cabrera

In Honor of a Good Man  

I have another little story I'll share soon and look forward to reading the many others that will follow.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Eternal Camp Fire with Chris Surtees
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
Very good idea Terry,best way to honor a friend and a great member.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
Very good idea Terry,best way to honor a friend and a great member.
Amen.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
I'll second the Amen..
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Froggy:
I'll second the Amen..
And I'll third it    :campfire:   Amen..
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
That's very cool, good on ya'll! Jason

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Fourth Amen.  Great idea and very deserving.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
Here is my link....

The hunt that never was....
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Good plan Terry..
   :archer2:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Thanks Randy. ....that's the one I was missing.    :readit:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
I will support this one in anyway I can.

I'm sorry that I never got to meet Chris face to face but I feel we shared a friendship through our mutual tradgang family.

Thank you Terry for insuring the memory lives on.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
A true tribute.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
A great idea, I was fortunate enough to meet Chris on a hog hunt briefly.  We were supposed to go on a hunt that he had won on St.Judes and invited me to participate since we were bidding against each other, what a nice gesture,  The hunt never happened or I may have a story to add.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Chris shows out for Compounders :

Larry and I went to Maryland to hunt Sika deer mid January.  My main hunting gear got hung up due to the snow storm on its way back from Solana Ranch.  I had to gather up all new gear that was strewn here and there.

Anyway, I took my Charlie Lamb Sunbear Longbow and the 1st selfbow I ever made....along with Some Arrow Dynamics and a quiver full of Chris' wood arrows that Larry had given me.  

Before I left, I tried Chris' arrow out of the Sunbear, but that wasn't a pretty sight...it didn't want to fly at all out of that bow...but I threw the arrows in for the journey anyway.

We were out shooting in the back yard of the farmhouse we were staying in and I decided to go in get my selfbow and try Chris's arrow out of it. Some of the shots included a Coke Zero can sitting on top of the smaller block target.

When I came around the corner of the farmhouse I stopped instead of walking on up to where we'd been shooting with was around 20 yards or so.  At this time the compounders from Colorado had just gotten their bows out to shoot.  One was standing to my right, and other was standing to my left. And the one behind me said..."You are going to shoot from HERE"?

Larry was standing behind me so he could watch the flight also.  Now, there were 3 targets out there, and one block target was in front of another large target.  The targets were pretty shot up with hardly a 'spot' to pick, and Larry said, just shoot the can.  I asked him if it was still there, and he said yes, then it came into focus and I started to draw.

Bought that time one of the Colorado boys asked..."You want me to range find it for you"....I let down my draw and said..."Nah,...I got a range finder right here" as I pointed to my right temple.....and I started my draw again.

Yep, you know it, I nailed the can with Chris's arrow and I heard from my right...."That was FOURTY TWO yards!!!....Fourthy TWO yards with no sights" ?!?!?!?!

I turned and looked at Larry, and we both were grinning from ear to ear.  At that time, Larry and I both had the exact same feeling.

Yeah, I kept the can.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing Terry.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
:clapper:

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Chris shows out for Compounders :

Larry and I went to Maryland to hunt Sika deer mid January.  My main hunting gear got hung up due to the snow storm on its way back from Solana Ranch.  I had to gather up all new gear that was strewn here and there.

Anyway, I took my Charlie Lamb Sunbear Longbow and the 1st selfbow I ever made....along with Some Arrow Dynamics and a quiver full of Chris' wood arrows that Larry had given me.  

Before I left, I tried Chris' arrow out of the Sunbear, but that wasn't a pretty sight...it didn't want to fly at all out of that bow...but I threw the arrows in for the journey anyway.

We were out shooting in the back yard of the farmhouse we were staying in and I decided to go in get my selfbow and try Chris's arrow out of it. Some of the shots included a Coke Zero can sitting on top of the smaller block target.

When I came around the corner of the farmhouse I stopped instead of walking on up to where we'd been shooting with was around 20 yards or so.  At this time the compounders from Colorado had just gotten their bows out to shoot.  One was standing to my right, and other was standing to my left. And the one behind me said..."You are going to shoot from HERE"?

Larry was standing behind me so he could watch the flight also.  Now, there were 3 targets out there, and one block target was in front of another large target.  The targets were pretty shot up with hardly a 'spot' to pick, and Larry said, just shoot the can.  I asked him if it was still there, and he said yes, then it came into focus and I started to draw.

Bought that time one of the Colorado boys asked..."You want me to range find it for you"....I let down my draw and said..."Nah,...I got a range finder right here" as I pointed to my right temple.....and I started my draw again.

Yep, you know it, I nailed the can with Chris's arrow and I heard from my right...."That was FOURTY TWO yards!!!....Fourthy TWO yards with no sights" ?!?!?!?!

I turned and looked at Larry, and we both were grinning from ear to ear.  At that time, Larry and I both had the exact same feeling.

Yeah, I kept the can.

:D    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
Yes!  :thumbsup:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
:campfire:  I'm sure there's gonna be alot of good reading to come on this thread. I think this is great.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
now THAT was priceless on too many levels, terry.  just priceless ...  :thumbsup:   :campfire:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©