3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting land between the lakes?  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting land between the lakes?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
TTT
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline t. edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
thanks again terry

Offline t. edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
well just got back from a week of camping down at hillman ferry campgrounds. seen lots of deer and talk to a couple of people about hunting down there. wish i had a speed boat, i think that would have been an easier way to scout.

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
It's an awesome place to hunt,you can stay in a campground if ya want but we always backcountry camped(have to have a backcountry camping permit).Me & my dad have hunted it quite a bit in the last 25 years or so,& it's one of my favorites.The last couple of times we hunted there the only other bowhunters we seen were the ones in our party....put on your walking shoes & take a climbing stand with ya..   :readit:      :bigsmyl:
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
There going to be a Trad Gang get together there this year?  A get to know ya rendevose - rondyvese, you know what I mean.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »
I bought a place just outside the entrance on the TN side so I'm up there pretty regular,even out of season.As far as the annual trad hunt,"Pappy" hosts that event every year. I was up there working on my place and stopped in and visited with Mark and the "gang" while they were set up. Check on the TN TRAD forum below to get a schedule on our hunts including the LBL one. You "snowbirders" need to come on down about December and bowhunt.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 08:56:00 AM »
LBL info can be found at : lbl.org-look under "recreation" then "hunting"- Note:each state's regs are posted since the property encompasses TN and KY.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
Dimeit,do you recognize any of these characters? Probably some of the gang you were hanging out with in '05. A friendly wager going on and you can pretty well tell who won that round!!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 02:48:00 PM »
I graduated from Murray State there around LBL and darn near flunked out because of deer hunting LBL, girls, and cold beverages (in that order). There are great places to hunt there and I killed a 140in whitetail in 1992 on the North end 2 miles west of Hillman Ferry Campground.

Hillmand Ferry Campground is a nice place to stay and there are places to hunt there too. I have found I like the North end of LBL better than the south end. The North/South trail cuts through LBL and picking a spot away from the rest of the world is the way to go. I used to get to my spots by mountain bike most of the time, but be prepared for a drag. There is no ATV or road trafic in most of LBL other than the marked roads which are gravel. The prerut (say the weekend before they have their gun quota hunt: late Oct) can be magical. The keys for me were as follows: 1. Get away from roads (duh) 2.Bench/White Oak flats are numerous. Pick one near some water 3.Invest in a GPS: you will find new places every time you are out. Mark them and save them. I killed several deer that way. I stumbled into spots and marked them on my map.

LBL puts out a nice little map with roads marked. You can also buy a pretty good topo there. Bring your tick spray. Hope that helps. I haven't hunted htere in 6 years, but I sure loved it there. For bowhunting it's hard to beat, but when the rifles start booming during their several quota muzzleloader and rifle hunts, the big boys are either kilt or in the thickess crap on the place. Have fun!
Mike Davenport

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
The wife and I are talking about buying a retirement home on the KY. side, mabe near Benton.  Anyone on here familer with that area?
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
We used to go fishing down in KY Lake every year. I love the area and May have to plan a trip down for a hunt. Thanks for starting this thread and getting me thinking.
Jason Lester

Offline t. edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »
thanks for the info. im looking foward to going down there this year and tring it out. hope i dont get lost!!!!

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
I'd be interested in taking a lil hunting trip there... Had a friend who had some nice ones on the wall from his time stationed at Ft Campbell...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2007, 01:50:00 PM »
Some friends and I are planning a trip this fall after some frosts...I haven't been to LBL in several years.  Looking forward to the trip anyway!  We usualy hunted area 6,8,10...

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
rtherber - Do you know where to find info on hunting fallow deer in the (Environmental Education Center,KY,archery only area)?

According to lbl.org, no fallow deer hunting is allowed - see quote:

"The fallow deer herd is a unique aspect of our wildlife inhabitants. This species, native to Europe and Asia, was brought to LBL by the Hillman Land Company in 1918. LBL's herd is believed to be the oldest population of fallow deer in the country, and at one time was the largest. Today the herd numbers fewer than 150 and hunting of fallow deer is not permitted. Although LBL's wildlife management activities focus on native species, the fallow herd is maintained for wildlife viewing and because of its historical significance."

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »
I honestly have failed to keep current on what goes on on the Kentucky side and apparently ALL hunting of fallow deer on LBL has ceased. There used to be a draw hunt for the Environmental Education Center(bow only)but policy changes have occurred since TVA turned the property over to USDA and that must have been one of the changes. However, now that I have purchased property just outside LBL(TN side) I intend to extend my hunting over on the Kentucky side so hope to be more "savvy" about it in upcoming seasons. I was hiking last week on several of the trails just across the state line on the KY. side. I plan to keep working my way north up the Trace.

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info!!! I am going to keep monitoring this thread as  I have been considering a regional whitetail hunt outta state this year...

Anybody suggest a good weeklong period for up there? NOV 5-10 I pressume?
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
LBL is in the process of assessing the 2007 hunting season. They had honored TN's decision to allow crossbows to be used in the archery season since it was passed last year. This decision will be reassessed along with the quota hunts and other topics. I'll post the results from the meeting or I suggest potential participants check the lbl.org webpage closer to the season before finalizing plans.The public can participate in this quorum.Info on how to participate in the quorum is on the above listed website.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
I cut my bowhuting teeth at LBL while pursuing my degrees at nearby Murray State Univ.  FYI:  Fallow deer hunting has been banned at LBL for years.  As far as the elimination of row crops after 2007 - looks like a done deal.
Gary Logsdon

Offline t. edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
so when is the best time to go down there? is the rut going about the same time that it is going on up here, the first week of november or somewhere in there?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©