3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Story/Opinions?  (Read 526 times)

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
Story/Opinions?
« on: February 07, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
My trad story...

Once upon a time 5ys ago?, BOWBUM (formerly ZIP-R) became upset with his mech arrow launcher and stumbled onto the tradgang website. Eventually becoming convinced that trad archery was definitely simpler and more fun, he purchased a used Kodiak Hunter. Some hunts went by, alot of waterfowling took priority, and bowhunting once again became numero uno. This led to an upgrade to a Newer bow of more weight. The shooting of said bow with more weight and bad form led to a BOW BUMed shoulder, and the purchase of a new mech arrow launcher financed by the selling of the newer, heavier bow.  2 seasons pass, the Kodiak Hunter being brought out and shot occasionally, eventually fueling the fire smoldering for 5 years. Fast forward to today. New mech arrow launcher is locked away in the case, the Kodiak Hunter is being shot well, and has properly matched arrows. I've always thought I could shoot a different recurve better. Whilst visiting the K-Zoo expo I found 2 that indeed feel, and shoot much better.

So, given the above; and provided I continue to care for my shoulder, I've been contemplating using the new mech arrow launcher to finance the purchase of one of the 2 recurved either new or used.

I'm so on the fence about this. I've been thinking about it for about 2 months now. Not sure if its a security blanket in case my shoulder goes bad, or the fact I will take a bit of a money bath on the wheelie or  what! Hell I even have 10yr old compound to could keep just in case.  :knothead:  

So what say you? Kick me off the fence either way.

Honestly, has anyone regretted losing the wheels?

Thanks for reading/listening   :)  

Brian

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Story/Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Well sell the training wheels and make the plunge I dont think you will regret it.  Just my biased opinion.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
The only regret I have is not losing the wheels earlier.I would go as light as 35 lbs if I had a bad shoulder(rather than use the wheel bow)Just my personal opinion.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
Truth; I kept the wheels for near 5 years as backup blanket. NEVER shot it again. Almost gave it away. I should have. If you;re having fun, you;re doing it right.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
My only regret in losing the wheels for good 10 years ago was that I kept the mech arrow launching device stored away until just a couple of years ago.  By then of course the potential value of it had plummeted to nearly nothing, and rather than taking a nice little bath I lost nearly everything I had invested in it.

Sounds to me like the embers are glowing brightly, and the fire is about to flare up to full blown life for you.  Sell the wheels while you can still get something for them!  It's an expensive security blanket, and will lose value fast.  If you reinvest the sale proceeds into stickbows they are much more likely to hold a better resale value than the wheelie machine.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
I do not miss the wheels either. shot a fast,tack
driver Mathews. Got BORING knowing where the arrow was going to be. Just pull the trigger,the
equipment did the rest already. But I to shot to
heavy a recurve and had tendonitis/shoulder pain.
switched to a 45-50 long limb/short riser ILF combo. No more problems. You don't need an ILF
to accomplish your goals,you need shooting comfort my friend. Sell the wheels before the
thing loses to much value.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
My experience echos everything the guys have told you so far.  

Now, I can't even imagine going back to a compound maybe because I shot trad for several years before the wheels were born.  

Funny, I had the same experience riverrat speaks of. To "pull the trigger" anymore became an empty, totally unfulfilling experience.

Don't look back - this stuff is too cool!

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by riverrat 2:
I do not miss the wheels either. shot a fast,tack driver Mathews. Got BORING knowing where the arrow was going to be. Just pull the trigger,the equipment did the rest already.
Same here except a BowTech.

Originally posted by tarponnut:
The only regret I have is not losing the wheels earlier.
I'll ditto what the others have said and especially tarponnut!  When I started shooting a longbow and my arrows began going where I was looking, it felt like magic!  I've "found my niche" and will never go back!
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
Bow Bum...that mech. arrow launcher will make a great boat anchor!  Out of my 17 or 18 years of bowhunting...I hunted with a compound for the first 2.  Never liked it.  I read Gene Wensels "hunting rutting whitetails..and also One mans Whitetail"...and I got rid of mine.  Never regretted it one bit.  Just do it!

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
Sell it and shoot the real bow.   :thumbsup:  
But then in 50 years of shooting, I've never shot a cable gun.
Always thought why would someone want to fool with something that requires a parts source.
My grandson shoots a cable gun on occasion, I can't even stand to pick it up. If you want to shoot something that heavy, shoot a gun.
Become proficient with the stick and string, if push comes to shove you can make your own and survive.   :archer2:

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »
Since the value of the mechanical arrow launcher is going to drop the older it gets you might as well sell it now. Besides you will have a lot more fun without it.

Offline JamesJamison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
I know where you're coming from, waiting on my new stick bow, but still have the compound.  I am determined however that if I ever kill another deer, it will be with traditinal archery, including modern firearms season.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
Bow Bum, you are the one to make the choice and have to do whats best for you. I shoot longbows because I love em and enjoy them, however I have friends who shoot compounds and are just as good and dedicated as trad shooters. No difference we are all archers.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
I got rid of my wheels 13 years ago. No regrets at all. I sold the wheels as soon as my custom recurve came in.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
i have both, and i enjoy shooting both at different times, each to his own   :thumbsup:

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
I still have my wheels. I haven't shot it in 4 years now but it hangs in the room just the same. Can't bring myself to sell it since it isn't worth anything so May as well just hang onto it. It treated me well while I used it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
You're asking this crowd which to go with?

If you don't need the prosthetic (wheeled) bow for medical reasons go with the new recurve.  I like the old vintage bows - so does my wallet.

I've been wheelless since 1985 and launching only wood arrows all that time as well.  I shot a recurve before the compound I was convinced I needed and, after a few deer hunting disasters, sold it and went back.  Too much to do and remember (I picked the wrong pin twice on different buck ON THE SAME DAY!)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by cbCrow:
Bow Bum, you are the one to make the choice and have to do whats best for you. I shoot longbows because I love em and enjoy them, however I have friends who shoot compounds and are just as good and dedicated as trad shooters. No difference we are all archers.
Well said.  Do what is right for you.  Everyone's journey is different.

Offline MISSINGINOHIO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
I have a coumpound up in the attic that I said I would take out by the end of rut if I didn't take a buck with the  recurve by then.I had yet to take a buck with my recurve .Well here it is the end of the rut and  I tell the wife I should take out the compound but just can't do it,She says take what makes you happy.Shot my first trad buck that night.Know anyone who wants to buy a compound.Shoot what makes your hunt fun not what gives you the best chance of killing.
3 pc silvertip recurve 58"53@27
3 Pc Silvertip recurve 58"51@27

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
It's not too hard to figure out what the opinions will be on this site. Bye-Bye wheels.
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©