3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to refinish an Old shakespeare wonder bow?  (Read 732 times)

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
How to refinish an Old shakespeare wonder bow?
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
I have an old shakespeare wonder bowthat I would like to clean up. Is it p[ossible just to sand it down and refinish it. The limbs are straight and the bow appears to be in great shape just has alot of scrathes i would like to take out. thanks scott

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to refinish an Old shakespeare wonder bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
I'm not sure if the old wonerbow had fiberglass limbs or not....but refinishing shouldn't be a problem in any event as long as you don't use heavy grit sand paper, and go easy on sanding the limbs....it's tempting to use 120 grit and get it done faster, but i wouldn't use anything rougher than 180 grit to start out...then 220...400...600...then finish. a lot of guys don't even use 600 either...they use an ultra fine scoth pad like they use in buffing out auto paint...that works good too....hope this helps... i found out the hard way about sanding limbs too much.....Kirk

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I don't think it has fiberglass on the limbs and it really  doesn't matter if it looses some weight. I'm redoing it for the wife . thansk scott

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure all the Wonderbows are fiberglass lam bows.  Is there a Model number on it?  Is the finish bad or just a few scratches?  May want to try light steel wool and a coat of wipe-on poly so you don't lose your markings by sanding.  If you aren't worried about marking, sand away....lightly.  Just to bare wood or fiberglass.

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
I refinished an old Pearson bow once.  Light-use of fine cabinet scraper removed the old finish very cleanly and in short order.  (Faster than coarse sandpaper and without the deep scratches.)  I followed it up with sanding with fine sandpaper.

Offline bowhunterksb32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
the model number   is  b81091h  thanks scott

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »
What finish do you guys use?  Spray?
Katie
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©