3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Curtis Kellar - Weitas Creek Bear!!!!  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Curtis Kellar - Weitas Creek Bear!!!!
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Looking forward to the tale guys. So far it's shaping up for a good one. I'll get a early congrats in for you CK  :thumbsup:  

I was thinking bout you & Charlie yesterday. Cindy & I retreived the gear & grocerys we couldn't get to on the edge of Hells Canyon. Could of used a couple expert misery whip operators cutting the down trees outa the trail.  :D

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
Welcome back fellas. Waiting impatiently for more tales   :pray:  

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 11:28:00 AM »
Ya what Brian said!! Looks like a super trip!! Wheres that bear?  :thumbsup:  

Brent

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
I am on the edge of my seat already!  
  :campfire:
got arrows?

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by hormoan:
Looks like a super trip!! Wheres that bear?   :thumbsup:  

Brent
I bet you like to eat your dessert first too!  :biglaugh:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Online PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
My second night on stand was cold,wet and windy. About 8 pm I got a feeling there was something there. Looking behind me I saw a rather large black colored bear walking up the  hill away from the bait. The wind was downhill from the bear to me. He stopped before going out of sight and lifted his head to check the air...
That was the last I saw of him that night. When we got back to camp Ted showed me a picture on his camera of what appeared to be the same bear. Big Black is back he said.Ted had seen the bear while baiting and managed to get a picture of him.The bear hadn't been seen for a while.These guys know their bears. He kindly offered to take the stand the next night if I didn't want it.  :rolleyes:  The next night was rainy but the wind was down. Big Black made his appearance again from behind and uphill.He came in nose down trailing and heading for the bait...

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Before I go any further I'd like to say thanks to you guys for always showing support in any of my adventure. It certainly is a good feeling to know you guys are always out there and willing to insert a kind word at just the proper time. Thank you! Your kindness is very appreciated!!!!

I'll not imbelish this story with too much color at this time. I must say that the colors inside my head formed from comaradrie, friendship, and fellowship on this trip will last forever. I'll save the color for the future pages of Bowyers Journal. I do hope you'll pick up a subscription and share in our lifestyle. I heard a friend of mine might write something up.  :D  

As the evening shadows begain to grow long and the temperatures begain to descend into the uncomfort level I spot movement. Surreal is a great word to describe the next few minutes as the slowly unfolded. I'd spent many of the last few years wondering where the surges of adrenaline I once felt had gone. As this bear begain his slow lumbering in my direction I'd somehow rediscovered the adrenaline that had somewhere along the way been lost. I grasped for breath as the loud ringing in my ears was only eclipsed by the thunderous pounding in my chest.
I was sharing space in close confines with a bear!    :scared:     Somehow through this very shaking chain of events I'd reached for my camera. I'd tried to always capture my prey of film prior to taking their life. This is something I do for two reasons. If I make a mistake in bowhunting I can still capture my trophy on film. This assures that I've always reaped my rewards. The other reason is a simple show of respect in capturing his life and not only their death. I somehow find it eases my mind in knowing I'd taken a life once I've capture his life on film. Here he is in all his glory, his final minutes in the beauty of the place he called home.

The bear had made his mistake and I'd done what I'd come for. The gap was a mear 6-7 yards and the shot was as clean as humanly possible. It had severed the Aorta and passed both lungs. The arrow stuck 6" in the dirt the other side of him and somewhere within my shaken mind I'd thought I missed. It wasn't until my eyes cleared and the ringing in my ears subsided that I realized the true chain of events that I'd been graced with. Sometime you just know it was a blessing and nothing else.

And it was here beneath the giant Red Cedars in a dark canyon that the bear finally secumbed. To die in a more beautiful place would be hard to imagine. I can only hope he felt the same in his final moments.

I'm sure the shaken sound of my voice came as no surprise as I radio'd back to Gary and Ted, "Bear Down"! I'd traveled across a Nation to share this space with the bears. The Outfitter had done his part, the bear had done his part, and I'd somehow also done mine. This was one of the most rewarding moments I can remember. Also a blood trail through the dense folage that I will not soon forget. Sweet Spot was somewhere in Texas and I was on the ground with a wounded bear. I certainly could feel my heart that day. CK

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2007, 02:42:00 PM »
Great looking BEAR Curtis  :thumbsup:  ! And a great story also! Congrats on a fine trophy! Looks like he has really nice color also  :thumbsup:  

Brent

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :clapper:   Awesome Bear Curtis. Congrats Again.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
way to go, CK. What a great looking place.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Vig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
Beautiful bear CK! What a great feeling, huh?  Congrats

-Vig
-----------
The worst day shooting is better than the best day at work.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2007, 03:28:00 PM »
Beautiful country, nice bear, great memories! Thanks for sharing it with us.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
Thanks fellas! CK

Offline rabbitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Congrats CK, nice bear.  Thanks for the story.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
Curtis,
Very Nice Bear!!!! And a great story also. I was wondering if you would mind telling what your bow,arrow,and broadhead combination was?
Bill

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
Certainly Bill. The bow is one of Mark Horne's Brushbows, one of the smoothest, fastest, and most forgiving bows I've ever shot. Specs are 58" 45#@26.5"....My arrows are carbon and weigh a tad over 600 grains tipped with Zephyr Sasquatches including the bleeder blade. The Sasquatch is a head that I've been testing this past year and have found to be one hell of a hole opener. This is the 14th animal I've shot this combo on. Only two of the shots didn't go completely through. I am a big believer in a heavy arrow with these light weight bows. I don't worry about tragectory arc do to my short shot distances. Hope that helps. CK

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
Gee, for leaving out all the color you sure know how to put some vivid images in my head!  :cool:    Great story telling again CK  :thumbsup:    From the looks of that hole in the shoulder that bear couldn't have gone far.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
Thanks Curtis!!!
I thought that was one of Mark's Brushbows. He sure makes some nice bows. I received my 50# Traditionalist about a month ago. I love it!!! My next bow will be a Brushbow. I was wondering if 50# was enough for bear, I guess so!!  :biglaugh:  
Thanks, Bill

Offline TXRED

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
Way to go Fedder!Bet this'n will stick with ya awhile!I can sorta picture you and sweet spot bookin' thru the timber with Mr.Bruin hot on yer heels!             :scared:
John
    Too young for Medicare,
    Too old for women to care

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©