3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What gps unit?  (Read 742 times)

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What gps unit?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by JEFF B:
i would like a Garmin etrex i belive they are good Bang for ya Buck.
I do love mine. Small, easy to operate, no frills, tough as nails, and accurate.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline wbyrd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
I've got the 60csx also. Pretty sure they're discontinued, I got mine at REI for about $150 off retail. I think they were just trying to get rid of them. I've also got the Etrex Vista and I found that I lost signal a lot. Rarely had signal when I hiked the Grand Canyon but I guess that's to be expected, but even in heavy canopy I would lose signal. With 60csx I never lose signal, it's awesome!
~ SUA SPONTE ~

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Rhino 530hcx.  Best I have used.  More functions than i will ever need or know how to use.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Overspined:
I have the Gramin Oregon and it is unbelievable, map w/ contours etc. Excellent and great battery life. The reception is superb and takes only about 5 seconds to lock on to great satellite reception....did I say awesome? I compare it to my etrex legend and really there is NOOOO comparison. The ease of use navigating screens and using is great. Color screen. I love it. Just use a finger nail to scroll and click. Great.

I used it in the CO mountains this past year for a week and it is better than Rhino, Etrex, and others I have tried in MANY respects
This is the model I keep in my pack...the 400T. This model has a electronic compass, altimeter, high sensitive antenna and topographical maps. I use it to help scout new areas, finding ridges and draws to focus on. The newer 550T has a built in camera so you can take photos of items/areas and save them on the map. I will not buy a GPS without a electronic compass or a high sensitivity antenna. Alway remember to recalibrate the unit when you swap the batteries or you can/will get inaccurate readings. When used properly, a GPS is a good tool to help save time.

They also come in handy when it's pitch black and your stuck in the middle of a big briar patch...
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Neon Quiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
Ive always used the Garmin Etrex Vista with Expert GPS Computer program.....but my next purchase will be a Garmin Oregon. I have heard good things about those.

Mark

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
60csx.  Reads thru heavy timber and storms perfectly.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline alaninoz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 04:08:00 AM »
Garmin GPS60, BUT:

+1 to Trad Beagle. Map and compass don't have batteries that can go flat.
Alan

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
Am I the only one with a Magellen    :dunno:   it works
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
I've been using a Garmin 60CSx for several years now, only one I've ever had but it works great.  Don't know if others are better but the 60CSx has more features than I will ever use, or figure out how to use...

Kept me out of many a swamp in the dark.  Nice to not have to mess around making trails and adding to the collection of reflective tacks in the public land I sometimes hunt.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
Garmin Etrex, there is a wide range of options in the series.  I have the Vista HCX with topos loaded onto it.  The topos also show the boundaries between public and private land, very useful.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
DXH,
I, like a number of others here, enjoy the Garmin 60csx.  But you should look at a few to figure out what features are most important to you.  Some like to use 'breadcrumbs' to be able to backtrack.  Some like to be able to display 3D topo maps.  The range of features found on some of these units is amazing.  Some of the newer Garmin's have decent cameras built in.  Most of the time, my interest is being able to backtrack via prominent way points.  So the 60 series I have is way 'overfeatured'.  Some of the simple 'backtrack' models from Bushnell for $60-80, would probably take care of many of my needs and save a lot of money.

Offline wycomtman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
I have had a Garmin 60 in the past and currently have a 76CSX map that i use almost daily on the job.  This thing is almost bulletproof (for electronics).  Unit has good accuracy, ease of use and i really like being able to download the topos on it.  If your looking for a good all around GPS, i highly recommend the 76 CSX map.

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
I have a Magellin 315 gps. years ago I was working my GSD with search and rescue and a bunch of folks from Yellowstone park came over for training and said this is what to have. No bells or whistles the thing just works. I have had it for 9 yrs no probs.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
I've used a Garmin Etrex Legend C for the past 6 years.  If I were to buy a new unit today, I'd get a 62s or one of the new Oregon units.  It's best to look at features to see what you really need or want.  Electronic Compass is a big one.  Units with or without will usually vary about a $100 depending on Electronic Compass.

Offline Canadian Idle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Garmin 60csx, pretty hard to beat in my opinion.....Lloyd

Online Larry m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
Magellan Explorist 200. Affordable and user friendly. I've had mine for close to 5 years. Turn it on and give it time to pinpoint the satellites and stick it in my pocket. Make sure I check the battery strength and the map and carry a compass. Learned this the Hard Way!!

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Same as Larry m . I have the 400 model, but rely mainly on my topo and compass. The gps is only for reassurance.

Grouse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©