3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpack help!!  (Read 549 times)

Offline k9bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Backpack help!!
« on: February 08, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Would like some input from some hardcore DIY wilderness backpackers. I have narrowed down my search for a new backpack to the Badlands 4500, Kifaru Longhunter or Oregon packworks greengate with lumbar and overflows. Any advice would be greatly apprecdiated.    :archer2:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpack help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
I would say from personal experience that Joe Lash at Prairie Traditions knows more about packs than anyone else and he is a sponsor here.

Offline Rosco1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
I know that my Cabelas Alaskan Outfitters pack has lasted me 10 plus years. I've packed out a lot of critters with it and have done a lot of pack trips with NO complaints!

I can comment on the ones you mentioned as I haven't had the need.

Offline bowhunter97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
I have used the Longhunter for about 6 years now, lots of miles and elk quarters with no problems at all. They are not cheep but worth every cent. the thing I like the most about this pack is that Patrick makes packs to fit you. I'm 5'8" 135 and the pack fits me like a glove. most packs I tryed the waistbelts would not get tight on me, not a problem for most people. also like that I can pull the main bag off and hunt with the frame and top pocket of the pack. every oz counts on a backpack hunt your gear needs to be versatile.
phil:4.13

Offline Rosco1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
Oopps - that should have been "can't" comment. My bad

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowhunter97:
I have used the Longhunter for about 6 years now, lots of miles and elk quarters with no problems at all. They are not cheep but worth every cent. the thing I like the most about this pack is that Patrick makes packs to fit you. I'm 5'8" 135 and the pack fits me like a glove. most packs I tryed the waistbelts would not get tight on me, not a problem for most people. also like that I can pull the main bag off and hunt with the frame and top pocket of the pack. every oz counts on a backpack hunt your gear needs to be versatile.
X2
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Depending on your torso length, you should look at the Mystery Ranch packs, too.  Made in Montana, with many fans.  Different designs than Kifaru, but equal quality.  I wound up going with Crew Cab so I could pack out meat without making a mess.

You could burn a lot of time looking at pack discussions on the backpack hunting forum at 24hourcampfire.com.  Lots of knowledge there.

If at all possible, borrow what you are considering, put 50-75 lbs in it, and walk for a few hours.  Packs fit different people differently, like boots.

It's tempting to try to save some weight with a light pack, but if you're carrying meat it's a bad idea.  A broken pack with a load of fresh meat 5-8 miles back is a bummer.
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
X2 on the Mystery Ranch, the nice thing about the crew cab is that you can order load cells for your gear (at a extra cost).  These can be placed in the load cell, and then taken out when your camp is setup and you are left with a smaller day pack. The other nice function of the Crew Cab is the harness system, otherwise known as the NICE Frame.  Once you have a NICE Frame you can then order different backpacks to attach to it, and you still have the same frame on your shoulders. These packs range from 2000 cu. in. up to 6000 cu. in.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
Did you look at Mystery Ranch yet? I have the Wolfpack. Its 6100 cu and has seperate pouches so you can break it down if you don't feel the need to pack the kitchen sink
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
I have and use the Kifaru Longhunter Guide.

My favorite big pack/frame pack.  I would advise agains getting the whole package and just buy the cargo chair.

I rarely use the fleece panels etc when hunting here in Kodiak.

Jason

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
I would stay away from the 4500. That is just me though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline k9bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
Thanks, lot of good info. I'm still researching right now but,  your advice will help. Also I didn't know this but, one guy said that Badlands had been bought by Zebco. Anybody else hear this?

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
I used a Kifaru Siwash for a number of years and thought it was great. Kifaru just came out with there ultralight series. I have been selling all my stuff to get one of these. Having a 2 lb. 12 ounce pack that will hold everything you need is a huge weight savings to start any trip. It has a full suspension that a couple of "gorilla" guys gave a real work out and thought it was top notch. Worth a look before you decide.

Offline Thueb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
I use a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, is very expensive, but worth the $ when I'm humping the Ruby mountains for a week or so.  The nice thing about the crew cab is its a daypack, short range pack, and week long backpack, all you need to do is add the day pack lid, and some load cells (or just waterproof bags).

Offline Mojo Rising

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
Out of the three you mentioned it would definately be the Kifaru!
TGMM Family of The Bow
Morrison ILF

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
I'd like to try the Kifaru 3700 ultra light too.

Looking to it for my go to hunting pack for next season.

Jason

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Jason - Thats what I ordered a couple of days ago with the same thoughts as you. Ordered a couple lash straps and a medium pod also.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
How important is camo to you? A lot of the best pound for pound, load hauling packs are made for backpacking, not hunting.
REI XT85, Arc-Teryx Bora 80 or 95, Osprey Argon all come to mind. Some of the old Dana Designs are great as well. These packs are engineered to haul loads on multi day trips, and to be comfortable.
Head to an REI outlet or other backpacking gear store and get sized by a knowledgeable pack fitter and see what really suits your needs.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
http://www.kuiu.com/  Take a look a the pack reviews in the blog.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Lot of great packs out there, I'm familiar with only two: Sitka and Badlands. I just auctioned my Badlands 2200 in favor of Sitka. I have two Sitka now (fanny and daypack). I'll be ordering a large one before fall.

I have a Monster Badlands that I am keeping because I like the shoulder and sternum straps.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©