3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backpack help!!  (Read 550 times)

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backpack help!!
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
I had a Sitka 45 for awhile and really liked it (quiet, comfortable, rides well, light).

Have a Mystery Ranch Crew cab, really like that, fits and balances extremely well.  Unfortunately did not have the need to haul a heavy load with it this fall if you know what I mean   :rolleyes:  .  Will probably get a 6500ci or 7500ci bag for it if I find a good deal.

Friend has a Kifaru Longhunter and it seems hard to get very heavy loads to balance into-the-body.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline bowhunter97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
x2 what DAZ said. my wife has a Dana glacier it has worked good for her. we just put a quarter in a garbage bag and slide it in the pack and your ready to go. hind quarters can be a tight fit, but we always find a way. I have also hunted with other guy that used none hunting packs. they work just fine.
phil:4.13

Offline J. Oles

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
neargeezer,

Let me know how you like that pack.

I've been using a Zulu pack for that purpose these days.

Jason

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Jason - Will do, it will be a few weeks before it arrives though.

Terry K.

Offline Pandaros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
X2 on the Mystery Ranch crew cab. It's the best pack I've ever owned. I have a Kifaru long hunter rendezvous, and while it was great, it wasn't as good as the MR.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Most guys I know around here are Mystery Ranch Crew Cab junkies.  With that said they are based here in Bozeman and we try to support local.  Truthfully though, in my 20 plus years of backpacking in the backcountry, I have never owned a pack that is as versatile and well thought out.    It will do about anything for you (from larger daypack to major cargo carrier).  Anymore I use a bison gear wool pack as a day pack, but for loads... hard to beat the crew cab.

Offline Pandaros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
I've jogged with the MR crew cab loaded to 42lbs and, other than load shifting which I didn't take the time to situate properly, it was VERY comfortable.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 03:54:00 AM »
Ive had the Badlands 4500, great pack but too long for my 5'5" frame. My mate still owns one and loves it. I have gone to the Badlands Ox and so far am very impressed. You can take the main pack off and strap a lot of other packs in. I need more time on the Ox but it gets the nod so far. I will also be looking at a custom Kifaru as well.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline RookieBwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »
I know I am one of the guys around the campfire but have you looked at Eberlestock? I have the Just One pack and I cant find anything wrong with it. I would say its definitely not an ultralight rig by any means but it has the Molle system, place to carry your gun or bow, H20 pocket that fits 3liters. Compressed it is if I am not mistake around 2400 cu in and if I open it up it expands to 4500 cu in. I would have to go back to the website for specifics but thats pretty close. You can also add a duffle sack for more room if thats not already enough room bringing the capacity to around 8k cu in. The compression straps keep the weight close to your body as well. The center compartment is webbing so your meat gets plenty of airflow. I have not had the chance to carry any meat in it but have used it for backpacking purposes and love it. The shoulder and waist belt are extremely comfortable.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere." -Frank Clark

Voodoostik 58" 50@28"

Offline Beanbag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
Might take a look a Go Lite packs.The Pinnacle. Not a hunting pack but very similar to Kifaru. Lots cheaper. Have used mine on 4 elk hunts with no problems packing out meat. First year our crew was very skeptical of it at 1.75lbs and about 4400 cuin's. After boneing out my elk and packing it to the brim with meat it made a 1.5 mile trip out with no problems. The following year my brother brought one and did the same thing. Might be worth a look. JG

Offline shdwhwk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Mystery Ranch Crew Cab  :thumbsup:

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Mystery Ranch LongBow here!    :thumbsup:  

Come on, how can you not like that name?   :D
Support the sport!

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
My Cabelas Alaskan Outfitters pack works great to pack out meat and such...for 2-3 days trips I really like the Badlands 2200...for day trips I like the Badlands diablo. Good thing about Badlands, they work great and I'll never have to buy another.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Hess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
I'll second, third or fourth (whichever) the Mystery Ranch.  I've had mine for 4 seasons and am very happy with it for day hunts (where I'll bring a change of clothes, lunch and bivi stuff just in case) or for multi day hunts.  It really is a great pack for me.  And I hunt a lot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©