3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bEAR super mag 48??  (Read 225 times)

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
bEAR super mag 48??
« on: February 08, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
anybody shoot a SM 48? if so, would a bow that short pinch and what poundage would be comfortable, but stout enough to stick in the dirt after if came out the other side (bearing a good shot)  :archer2:   ??   thanks

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bEAR super mag 48??
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Shot one for a bit back in the early 70's alongside my Super Kodiak.  It was a 45# and shot good but I shot the SK better.  Killed one deer with it.  It did not pinch and I draw 28"...

I would think with todays arrows and heads with good FOC a 45 would be enough.  I have not shot any of the "new" ones....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I still have my original in 45#.  I would be more concerned about the grip than finger pinch. Make sure you like the grip; I have come to prefer the grips on the Shrew and Pronghorn.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
I still shoot one and it is 65lbs. at 28 inches. I don't think about the finger pinch, just a noticeble difference when pulling because it is such a short bow. Does shoot nice and fast.

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
I had one to match my Super Kodiak.  I was surprised to find that it was much slower and needed a different spine at the same draw as the SK. Maybe the new ones are quicker.

Offline string & fling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
I have one that i dont shoot much anymore after i got my Bob Lee Signature, i dont notice any pinch, but i draw only 26". Mine is 50# @28. So i'm getting about 44#. Two years ago i stuck a 150# sow with it at 12 yrds,no pass through. But she went about 25 yrds and got her picture taken!!Nice little bow for tight spots and the stalk

Offline WhiskeyMike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
I use mine when I grouse hunt on the ATV. It's a whole lot easier to carry on the narrow trails. I draw less then 27" so I don't know about pinch but I agree with the above post on arrow speed and spine.

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I have two, 55# and 48#.  They are great bows.  Very handy in tight spaces like canebrakes or privet thickets.  They are not zippy bows, but the arrow does get there fast enough.  You feel the last inch a little more, some people call that pinch.  Bill

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
I used to have one but could never get over the finger pinch. However that was just my bow. A friend had one that was really nice and shot like a dream.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by graybarkhunter:
anybody shoot a SM 48? if so, would a bow that short pinch and what poundage would be comfortable, but stout enough to stick in the dirt after if came out the other side (bearing a good shot)   :archer2:    ??   thanks
WHAT IS YOUR DRAW LENGTH?
Makes a big difference real fast with a short bow.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
I had a Herters perfection 46"
That bow was a little shorter. Only a 40" string.
I shoot a short 26-27" draw. It pinched.
I didn't realize how much at the time since it was my 1st bow.

Boy a longer bow feels better.

Rodney Wright makes a stalker that is very similar.
Pete Ward did did a review on one. Took a moose or elk with a 40 or 45#.

I only bring up this bow cause if you want short...this is short.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
i have one of the newer models for my goto bowfishing rig.  i killed a nice 150+ boar with a 70's model years ago.  both bows shoot really nice and i wouldn't hesitate to deer hunt with one anytime.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©