3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Neck - Back - Shoulder Pain - READ THIS!  (Read 1022 times)

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Neck - Back - Shoulder Pain - READ THIS!
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
I just heard about this book from friend...it will help almost anyone with pain, all I know is it works , and the people that suggested it to me , cant say enough about it. Great topic...good luck my archery buds!  :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Tatonka777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
Sutto - It is great to hear stories like yours! I am hearing more and more like it from the people I have recommended the book to.  I agree, it is truly amazing!

Good luck and remember to keep doing the exercises!

JPW

Offline Tatonka777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 01:22:00 PM »
TTT for Steve

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
I already had major lower back surgery back in the early 90's. My surgeon told me back then it may take another operation and he was right.

I've been suffering from lower back pain ever since..just not nearly as debilitating as before the operation.

I've had two open heart operations and they were easier to get over than the back, so have never had the second back operation just deal with the pain.

I am definitely going to order the book.

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Just ordered a copy !
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 03:18:00 PM »
I will order a copy. I just had a CT scan and a milogram. I havent been back to the doctor to see the results. I know from my last MRI that C2 thru C6 is ruptured. I live in pain daily and have to take pain meds to get thru the day. Let me say PAIN MEDS is not the answer.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
I just had surgery , L4. L5 rupture , enlarged vertebrae pressing against the nerve bundle. This is the worst injury and pain I have ever had and I'm in my 5th week of recovery.
Slow go but I think I'll be fine. I had no choice but to have surgery, they had to haul me off in an ambulance, in the hospital 5 days and all I was doing was shoveling dirt. I had no prior warning with any back pain.
Need to check this book out for sure.
Thanks for the heads up
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Jorja Boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2012, 04:57:00 PM »
Thanks Totanka!

I have been having recurring pain in neck/ shoulder area (induced by long road trips and sleeping wrong and shooting the bow. I may sound crazy but, quitting smoking has drastically helped correct my posture/ pain in that area.) and some issues in lower back from time to time (sometimes , if I lay on a flat surface and try to sit straight up, it feels like my back is going to dislocate. I freeze up in pain. carefully lay back down until I feel like I can move again, then I have to gently roll over on my side and push myself up with my arms). I'll be buying this book. If not for a little preventative maintenance.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 05:36:00 PM »
I ordered the book this morning...but just as a side note. I try to shoot my recurve every day and most days twice a day and on occassions three times a day...about 50 to 100 shots per session.

Shooting gives me really bad pain in upper spine and neck (no pain while shooting only afterwards when I kinda stove up). Right below my left ear and down my neck especially. Can't turn my head to the left without serious pain. Hard time sleeping and pain when I wake up in the mornings. This has been going on for two yrs...I got other serious problems and just deal with it. I know it's caused by shooting because when I stopped for a wk the pain went away.

However..for the last two wks. I have made a point to do overhead, arms extending and spread wide, stretching exercises before shooting.

I use a walking stick and grip it as far apart with my hands as they will go. Then reach up as high as I can and rotate the walking stick all the way backwards and down and forwards and down while stretching my head and neck as far forwards and backwards as I can and rotate around in a circle. All this is done with emphasis on stretching everything out as far as I can.

I have to start out real slow and easy at first because all my joints and muscles hurt, snap and pop. Then they kinda smooth out and pain stops. I do 10 or 15 rotations, go out and shoot.

I can shoot my bow now and am almost 100% pain free. At first I didn't think it was going to do any good...it took a while for me to even notice it was (about 2wks), but it's working for me and I feel pretty sure that book should help with my lower back.

Thanks Tatonka777

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
I am sure being a couch potato takes it's toll on an older body and the right exercise program will be a great help. I went to a chiropractor with a ruptured disc and almost got myself paralized in the process. I had emergency back surgercy and after 3 days I ran out of the hospital. That was 25 years ago and I am careful with my back but have been almost pain free since.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Workaholic1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Just ordered it for the wife, then realized that it would probably benefit me, too, since I started having a few back and shoulder issues a few years ago.  Thanks for the info, Tatonka!

-rich
Kansas Army National Guard 1987-1990
U.S. Army 1990-1991
U.S. Navy 1996-2014- Retired

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Just placed an order. I figured what the heck.

I have a deteriorated disc between L5-S1.  There are days it doesn't bother me and days that life is TOUGH. I hope this helps.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 08:06:00 AM »
I'm right in the middle of that pain you were talking about, suffering badly.  Worst time of my life.
Thanks, I'll be getting the book ASAP.
David M. Conroy

Offline doulos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
This is an interesting thread.
 I did some research on the net and feel I have nothing to lose.
Ive had so many problems with my neck and back and now just had a total hip replacement at 55 years old. I was bone to bone with no cartiledge left. So Im pretty sure stretching couldnt have helped that. But a pretty active life of sports and being a large city firefighter for 26 years took its toll on my body and have lived a long time with a lot of pain. So I am open to try things for relief before committing to more surgeries.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
Had L5 trimmed up several years ago. With each passing year it gives me more trouble. Just placed an order...got nothing to lose. Thanks.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
I have the book.  It helped my back pain immensley a few years ago.  Recently i pulled a groin muscle and did not realize i was putting pressure on the heealing process by my body being 'out'.  After rereading the book and two weeks  of excercises i am again almost pain free.

Great book  and info...a lifesaver.

Offline Tatonka777

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 04:22:00 AM »
Glad to hear the book is helping out.  FYI - you can also see many of the exercises on YouTube by searching on Egoscue.

One trick I do know to prevent soreness and pain after shooting is to draw your bow 7-10 times with your opposite arm.   This gives you like 90% of the muscle benefit of shooting and helps keep your neck and shoulders balanced so they don't pull your neck out of alignment.

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
Glad the program worked for you I know all to well dealing with chronic pain. When they never could find the problem it was very depresing. I would have to tell myself there are people worse of and they get up each morning with a smile. But it does wear on you. I was lucky and finally got a doctor who listened. It ended up he found I had a partialy torn bicep tendon that had happened 3 years before in a horse shoeing deal. They fixed it and I have about 4 more weeks of PT. I feel better now than I have in a long time.
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 01:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, Tatonka!
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 02:08:00 PM »
I had  severe back problems My self   a few years back       Got those exercises by getting excerpts from the book mentioned and it helped me  almost 100%     Have been great since then
   BUT  CHECK with your  Doctor first before anything else  so you don't agrivate something  that WILL NOT be helped   buy this method  
 Last: Started YOGA about 8 months  ago    it has helped MORE than the book and I found that most of his exercises are based on yoga practice    BUT like anything else   Make sure you have a good instructor and that he/she knows of your problems and limitations
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©