3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bamboo,Shmamboo-Its all about Yew !  (Read 514 times)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo,Shmamboo-Its all about Yew !
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
I find it just amazing how just one bow type can create so much interest.Heck that one post is almost at 1000 !I am by no means a longbow expert like so many of you Gurus on here.I've been in this bow shooting game for many years and although like I said I'm no expert ,I have shot them enough to voice some opinions.
Back in 1984 Chek-Mate archery just started making HH style longbows and I guess my wishes were heard as my good wife bought me one that year for Xmas.With a slight upcharge it was 4 lams of yew.When I first started shooting it I couldn't hit a barn from the inside,but thru readings by John Shultz and Howard himself it finally gelled.About the same time a good friend of mine ,who owns a huge Archery Shop in NewWest.BC phoned me to tell me he just got in a brand new HH big 5,68" and 72#,eight pounds more than my Chek-mate Golden hawk.With all the hype I'd heard about Howards bows he sent her out.
I pried that Big 5 from the wrapping ,grabbed a half doz. 650 gr. Cedars and headed to the bales.
I could not believe how this bow shot,I went back inside and got my Yew longbow for comparrison.My Yew L:B totally outshot the HH in every way and was 8 pounds heavier.Same arrows ,same draw,same distances.Both Bows lengths and profiles were identical.
Over the years I've ownned many recurves and longbows with yew cores ,and I know its yew from the first shot,smooth,ultra quiet and forgiving.When I aquired Danny Rowans beautiful Blacktail recurve,it took me back to why I like yew so much.That bow is a joy to shoot.
Please don't think the above post is a slaner towards HH Archery ,Heck I have a new one on order.A new model ,the Red Cheetah.I love juniper but instead of Bamboo or Caramelized bamboo shes going to have yew cores,66",57# @28' with a slight string follow and clear glass with a Cocobolo handle and Tips.
My good buddy Cacciatore has some Venetian Yew that he says is some of the most beautiful wood he has seen.Venetian and spanish yew was highly sought by the english Archers because of its qualitys.So thats my two cents worth I hope you enjoy the added perspective ! LOL.Heres Mudd in your eye!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo,Shmamboo-Its all about Yew !
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Steve...lol"Heres Mudd in your eye!"

What's up with that brother...lol

I am becoming more of a yew fan myself. The feeling is just different than bamboo. Maybe a tad more snap or maybe it has a crisper feel as apposed to the rubbery feel I get from bamboo.

But if it's a bow that strikes my fancy I'll go for it full well knowing it most likely won't stay here but I will have the experience of shooting it.

I think that's a part and parcel of being a "bowaholic"...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
LOL,Mudd I just had to throw that in,heck it sounded good,there would never be any disrespect to you or any other Bamboo fans.I really like where Trad archery is going from where its been.so many younger folk getting involved.Theres so many good folks on here to help and lend a helping hand to anyone in need and you my friend are at the top of the list!Besides being founder and CEO of the Worldwide Mudd fraternity you have an image to uphold !LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
"But if it's a bow that strikes my fancy I'll go for it full well knowing it most likely won't stay here but I will have the experience of shooting it."

Mudd, I had no idea you would trade or sell a bow!   :biglaugh:
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I've tried stopping Butch but you know how it is...lol

There are days I'll trade for a brush pile if someone will furnish the matches to burn it...lol

God bless,Mudd

PS: No worries Steve I've got the hide of a rhino..lol plus I know anything you would say would be said with love.
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Have you ever tried Osage? It might surprize you how similar the qualities are.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 10:31:00 AM »
Two days ago I had a conversation with Matt, one of Mudds Merry men about the HH Robin Hood he bought recently.  My man MR.Mudd has one also.

Matt gave me an honest appraisal of that bow compared to other he has and has shot.  He said it was the nicest,most accurate bow he has had.  Actually said "I love that bow!"

Mudd, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the limbs of the HHRH are 4 lams yew with one bamboo on the back.

What Matt said pushed me off the fence two days ago and I ordered a 69" 57@29 "Half Breed" which will have two lams of yew sandwiched between two lams of caramelized bamboo.  In theory, I'm thinking it will be the perfect marriage - best of both worlds. We'll see

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Tony,Your right I forgot the Robin Hood was Basically yew,Yours should be nice,best of both worlds !
 Ps-Mudd the feathers are on there way!

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Steve, I'm with ya on the performance of yew, but to my mind, it doesn't feels as smooth as bamboo. Performs on par, but it feels a bit harsher on the draw to me.

I had and liked a HH Redman, but it was lighter than I like to shoot. Same thing with a Halfbreed that I had, liked it but it needed another 8 pounds or so of draw weight.

Now maybe I like my 'boo so much because the ones I've had were in the right weight range. Then again, maybe I like them because I've gotten better at setup and tuning, so I get better flight and accuracy from them. I'm always keeping an eye out for a Redman and Halfbreed in the mid-upper 50s so I can give them a fair try, but so far I have to say that bamboo "feels" better than the yew, osage, elm, honey locust and juniper limbed bows that I've tried.

I guess that's why they make them with different core materials, we all like something a little different.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Kevin ,you are right,so many options,its crazy ! LOL

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 10:52:00 AM »
Yep, I figure the biggest variable is me, lol. This got me thinking about other models, especially the Halfbreed. Once the shop is up and running good, I may have to order me one exactly like I want.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
You guys just keep buying those new bows, I am on the lookout of the old Schulz and Pete George bows.  Steve, there is more to it than yew when comparing older B5s with Chekmates.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
Pavan,you are so right,with the new string materials and even subtle changes to the limb designs,things have really changed.I'm really curious on my new HH with slight string follow.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
As for as looks..yew is a beautiful wood compared to bamboo.

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Actually, Howard Hill discovered the same thing when he started using bamboo. He got in touch with Winston Rod Co. and they told him about tempering the bamboo. It made a big difference as most rod builders will tell you it is the same difference between slow and fast.

A few years back I talked with a Gentleman that used bamboo in their bows, he was making his own and some for HH. I had two of his and they were infact slower than a Schulz, or ones that where heat tempered. He said, they relied on the curing of the bow in the heat box to drive out the moisture, but as most know it is a separate process.

I am just guessing but you probably had one of his bows, that were made for HH. Just a hint, it was back before.....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Steve,

I am glad you are liking that Blacktail, great bow and the yew is beautiful.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
I presently own two recurves.  One is a Marriah Thermal with Yew laminations and the other is a Dale Stahl recurve with bamboo cores and bocote veneers.  I love shooting both bows.

I must add, though, that the best shooting bows I've owned had red elm limbs.  The first one was my first Dale Stahl recurve.  I should have never sold that bow!!  The other was a Dale Dye recurve with medicine wood, another way of saying red elm, limbs.  The red elm limbs draw very smoothly and shoot as smooth as drawn butter.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
One more point about yew.  I recently bought an old Pete George yew/glass. It has the same lines as my Schulz.  It came with a fast flight, I put one of my own B50s on it and was surprised to find that it shot about the same as the bow did with the fast flight, perhaps even a a bit softer in the hand and as far as I can tell about the same speed. I got from talking to Schulz that not all laminations are equal; when I get my hands on a really good bow, I always wonder how much thought went into the selections of the materials.  I do not know enough about it to be able to say, but the bows I keep versus the ones I give away, I think have something to do with the materials that were selected for that particular bow.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
Semo-Hunter we're supposed to keep Osage a secret...lol

There are those that know and those that will find out on their own but we don't want to advertise it or there'll be a run on it...lol

God bless,Mudd
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©