3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Vest  (Read 447 times)

Offline PASSTHRU2

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey Vest
« on: February 10, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
Going to Florida to turkey hunt in March. Anyone use a Turkey vest for calls, ect?  If so what make/brand?  Thanks.
"In God We Trust"

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Vest
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
Michael,
I think at one time or another I had every turkey vest they made. They have plenty of pockets some with 20. Problem for me was remembering what call was where, and which pocket. Fumbling with zippers etc. They also don't hold up well(game pouch falls apart) after toting a few turkeys out of the woods.

One of the best things I did was quit using one and went to a haversack. Slate and glass calls go into leather pouches, and box call in a leather holster. Bottle of water a few mouth calls, pruners, snack, turkey wing etc.  and a wing bone around my neck    :thumbsup:  

When you need something open the flap and everything is right there.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
pockets are pockets, wouldn't matter if you wore a fly fishing vest. Mountain man bag, possibles bag or "purse" seems to work well.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
I to switched from a vest to a bag. Its easier for me to sneak around, crawl or anything else I need to do turkey hunt.

Offline PASSTHRU2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys.
"In God We Trust"

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 05:36:00 PM »
I still use a vest.  Never carry the dead bird in the back "game bag", that is where my decoys are carried.  It also where I carry the small stool I use to get me up off the ground.  Since I use the same vest for years I know which calls are in what pocket.  They work well for me.  If you don't use decoys and can kneel or sit on the ground for a long time (I often zip off the thick seat pad and kneel on it if the cover warrants it over a seat) then a back pack or haversack will work great.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
I went back to a bag vest was to bulky for me to shoot in....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
6 gallon bucket with a swivel seat on top. Holds 2 collapsible decoys and more calls then You would want.

I've had both knees replaced so sitting on the ground does'nt work for Me. I'll have a ghille suit in there soon.    :thumbsup:

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »
I love my Preator Vest and My A-Way Hunting Calls.  You can get both on our website
   http://www.stjoeriverbows.com/Predatorcamo.html  
 http://www.stjoeriverbows.com/A-wayProducts.html
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
I like my vest. I have used the same one since 1991. Every pocket holds something specific and has for so long that there is no doubt where anything is at any given time.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I tried a vest once but the feathers kept tickleing me, so I went back to using a fanny pack to put my calls in.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
Always.  Use one for deer too.  Everything has its place.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
A vest is a total necessity for turkey hunting. Always ready, just grab it and go. At 4AM this beats looking for all your junk.

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
Ol' Tom essential vest for me. Just enough pockets, not too many. Everything in its place. Tied some cord to bottom for portable blind and stool... inexpensive and perfect!
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by adeeden:
I like my vest. I have used the same one since 1991. Every pocket holds something specific and has for so long that there is no doubt where anything is at any given time.
Same for me...I can't remember how long I've had it...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
I'll 3rd what Adeeden and Guru said.
God is good, all the time!!!

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
I have an old vest made by Mossy Oak in the early 90's Id guess. Still use it today. It's just convenient to know where everything is and just grab your vest and go. Seat cushion is comfortable too.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline twigflicker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
I continued to use my vest until I went to the Rack Pack System...  then I went back to an old army gas mask bag that my dad carried for years to carry his calls in...

I've done that the last two years... it has one big main compartment and then 3 vertical pockets... one carries the friction calls... another all the mouth calls... and another some of pops old calls...

Jonathan
TGMM - Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
I've never owned one. I just put calls in a fanny and put everything in a blind bag. I don't move around much, I scout, put up the blind based upon pre-dawn gobbles and then stick it out. I should be willing to move a bit but usually my hunting area isn't large enough to offer much moving around.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
I've got a couple of them, but don't load them up like I used to or use the cushion seat part anymore.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©