3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flyin' butcher knives of death and the Mamba Strikes- a hog hunting story  (Read 1459 times)

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Mike Mitchum, AKA squirrel bait AKA drag unit and yours truly went on a little steam bath hog culling expedition this weekend.

When we planned it we did not have the expectation of 98 degree temperatures and 100% humidity but when you live in the South you play the hand you are dealt, or you give up on a lot of trips. I guess its like living up North and dealing with cold...hey, buck up and get out there, you know?

Anyhow, we arrived, got our gear together and decided where to spend the first evening's hunt.

Mike thought he would try Terry Green's favorite first afternoon spot- THE CROSSROADS. I chose the area around Blue Lake...a perennial favorite of mine because if there's any water on the place that seems to be the area to find it.

to be continued...........
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Ok...that'll do for an appetizer...wheres the main course??  :D

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
OK Ray lets get on with the story; I know it will be a good one.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well I'll tell yall the Black Mamba Silvertip struck first. I would tell you about the 300-350lb sow , but that willhave to wait.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline paleFace

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock, ok we are waiting patiently for the ret of the story here. must be getting a hog ready for the smoker is all i can figure....
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _  _

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
No smoker but there are tenderlion cutlets on the grill as I type this. Well it all started like this  , ooppps got to go there done, Dinner Time!!!   Ray tells stories better than me anyway.
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Bilbow Bagem

• Trad Bowhunter
I think it's time for a "zero tolerance policy" here.  :D

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
ya know, I knew a girl in high school like you two once.....
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
LOL Brent I knew a couple of em...  :knothead:   Come on guys where are the pics and story.?
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Sorry...been looking for three hours for the dad blamed USB card reader for my camera- ITS AT WORK!!!

Story gonna have to wait for pics tomorrow.

I'll tease you a little more.

We couldn't even start out till around 6pm..just too hot. But with it getting dark around 830-845 pm that was plenty of time to get soaked walking around.

Scissor-Tailed Kites, scarlet tanagers, Indigo buntings, painted buntings, wood ibis, great blue heron, turkeys, a bobcat- all in the first hour of walking toward my spot.

In between wildlife sightings and cruising toward my destination I imitated a russian sub- by doing what US submariners call a "crazy Ivan"- just shut down in mid stride and listen for any sound of enemy vessels, or in my case-hogs, around me. It was frankly just too hot for them yet though.

I piddled around, took my time looking at my feet as much as my surroundings, searching for a piece of man-worked chert. The property was a quarry for native americans for hundreds of years- most of the stuff we find is just  broken chips and leavings- they carried off the fine materials to work later, but we do luck up once in a while and end up with some nice pieces and lots of pottery.

Around 730pm, thunderheads scattered around the horizon, the sun moving lower, and the temperature starting to drop all signaled things should be getting better.

I worked slowly past all the wet places near Blue Lake, eliminating them one by one until I reached the last set of puddles, and then I heard it: bubbles!

Hogs grubbing around for morsels in water blow bubbles- its a very distinctive sound. I homed in on their location and noticed the high grass moving erratically, back and forth- I knew something was about to happen.

I drew an arrow out of the quiver and placed it on the string, and got ready. The wind had been a steady cross-wind but just then I felt it on the back of my neck!

Instantly the bubbles stopped, a choppy grunt was uttered, and a hog stepped into the dirt road, giving me the evil eye!

I drew and released in one motion- the arrow was moving perfectly out of Mamba- my new black risered Schafer Silvertip TD recurve- when the hog leapt from a standing stop to move across the road and down slope to the edge of the swamp and Blue Lake. But the arrow was just a little too quick- it was like a slow motion movie with the hog leaping - they always do that- looking like the horses in Native American paintings- front and back legs moving in a big arc under the hog - at least that's what they look like to me and it's my story- anyway, the arrow hit the hog in the middle- right through the spine- instead of where it was headed- on the point of the shoulder- and dropped the 100 lb pig like a stone into the ditch on the far side of the road.

I quickly dispatched it with a second arrow and everything went still.  I spent the next 5 or 10 minutes listening to the sound of a flock of turkeys rising to roost, and an alligator grumbling somewhere off in the swamp, while I calmed myself from the rush of adrenaline that always comes when I'm in close quarters with game.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
How are the bugs in conditions like that down there?  They would eat you alive in WI in that kind of heat.  Man call me frosty but I would take a deer stand in 10 degree weather over that anyday for hunting.  That is bike riding weather or watching cuties at the beach as far as my vote goes!     :bigsmyl:   Congrats on the hunt though!  BBQ time.    :campfire:

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
:bigsmyl:    :clapper:   MORE Please
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to go Ray.  Looking forward to the rest of the story.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline W.Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
this is getting good  :bigsmyl:

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
Great story Ray!
Mel Riley

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
You guys are tough to hunt in this heat.  I was hot enough working on a bow in front of the fan in the garage.  Great story.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowdude- one word- ThermaCell. Greatest invention of the 20th century. No bug problems with one of those strapped to your pack.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
I walked back toward camp, to get the pickup/camera so I could move the hog to the skinning shed. I was moving pretty quick, due to the heat and a couple mile walk ahead of me- I didn't want that pig to spoil.

As I approach the crossroads area where Mike is hunting I hear a very upset hog begin 'talking' to his bunch and the rough translation was- "hey, we are not going that way any more- follow me or DIE!!!" and he turned 90 degrees left, took  his bunch of about 12 hogs with him paralleling my line of travel but 75 yards or more in the thick woods.

I continued on, looked for Mike, and there he was - he was working on that bunch further down the road to the left where they had run to, in getting away from me.

Good, I thought, he will see some action for sure..and I beat it to the truck, and retraced my steps back to the pig. I still haven't figured out how to use the self timer on my camera so the best I can offer is a picture of the hog with my Schafer sitting in the road, as it was getting pretty dark by this time and I was in a hurry to get it snapped and then load up.

On the way back I met up with Mike and he related his close encounter with the mob and how they made it around him without offering a shot opportunity.

More to follow...

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice story so far Ray...I especially like that Alligator grumbling...that'd be cool as you stand over your prize!

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice goin Ray! Can't wait for the pics and more of the story! We'll add another chapter next spring.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©