3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flyin' butcher knives of death and the Mamba Strikes- a hog hunting story  (Read 1463 times)

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:

Scissor-Tailed Kites, scarlet tanagers, Indigo buntings, painted buntings, wood ibis,

Wow those are some great sightings. Dianne would have loved that. We had a Scarlet Tanager land in our waterfall the other day. First one we've ever seen around here and only the second one we've EVER seen.

We've never seen a painted bunting.

Observing wildlife is one of the best things about being a hunter. Being able to identify them adds to your enjoyment in the woods.

Very cool.

Congrats on the porker.   :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Very nicely written, Ray!    :thumbsup:    Look forward to the pics!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well we took the hog to field dress and put in the cooler.Then it was off to find something to eat, that was an adventure in it self. Mr . Hammond , can you please tell me your order again, I've seem to forgot what I was doing here??????  :knothead:    :knothead:
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
yeah...it only took 4 repeats at the drive thru speaker, and three repeats to the supervisor to get a happy meal...yikes...our public education system is broken and it can't get up,I'm afraid!

The birds are great there, Mickey. We have about 30 varieties of warblers- prothonetary, myrtle, a bunch even I can't remember without my books- that was one of the things I was looking forward to most in going to Africa was the bird life.

Oh, I forgot-when I got back to the downed hog there was an owl feather laying across her nose- a tail feather in fact. I took that as a good omen for the weekend..a fellow predator was on the prowl and came to check out my skillz!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
:bigsmyl:    :campfire:    :coffee:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Glad to hear you two had such a great time...you both certainly deserve it. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Missed ya'll saturday but I wouldn't have passed up the opportunity to hunt hogs either.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter

My new huntin' buddy for a day! Couldn't have happened to a nicer gal. Notice the ears of this hog?

That's a big clue when you see one of these big hogs in the paper...look at the ears. A hog that makes its living in the wild, getting chased by wild dogs, coyotes, bobcats, gators, whatever- their ears are alert and moving all the time,and look like those of a german shepherd.

The ones that live in a barnyard?? Floppy, lean over, look stupid, cause they get dumbed down by living the easy life. The barnyard version doesn't need ears, except to hear "here, pig, pig!!! Sooooooweeeeeeeeeee".
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
MMMMM BBQ...  :clapper:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wow,Hoss. More story, please!  :)   Ya got that whole "ferret" thing going on with only 3 arrows, too! Assumin ya shot and broke one!  :notworthy:   :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Doc Nock ..looks to me like he was planning on shooting multiple hogs   :bigsmyl:  

Warblers are tough to tell apart..kinda like sparrows. Just enough similarities to confuse ya. Warblers is cool.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice Job Ray.. Looks like you and Mike had a great time.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
Great hunt guys  :thumbsup:  and thanks for sharing it with us! I sure wish I had pigs to hunt! But my state don't! Ray thats a great way to break in the new Silvertip!

Brent

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ray, did you use those new fangled broadheads? You remember, the huge ones that made you giggle like a school girl cuz they got so scary sharp???    :coffee:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Squirrel Bait

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Yeah , He had the big, giggle like a school girl broadheads. But, How many arrows he had was a story in itself. I've tried to tell him to get a back quiver so he don't run out of ammo!!!
If you've never been in the woods at daylight, and seen the world come alive, you haven't " Lived".

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
yep..had to use two on that one hog, and she broke them both.

I only took 4 broadheaded arrows with me and I had two stuck in that hog- one in the spine, and one buried up in the right shoulder where I shot her from the rear all th way up through, then she broke the shaft off flopping around...and so I headed into Saturday with only two Abowyer 190's.

Offline Full Quiver II

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great story! I'll never look at my dog's pig ear chewing toy in the same way again. Thanks for FINALLY giving us that photo. I didn't think I could take it anymore.
Psalm 127:3-5
TBOF - Trad. Bowhunters of Florida
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter

This goes with Mike's Saturday story....

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Ray, you gotta post a pic of those Abowyers the way you sharpened them. Just thinking about them makes me queasy.   :scared:

I trust you have a pic of the damage they cause...  :saywhat:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Way to go Mike and Ray.  I know both of you had a great time this past weekend.
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Offline Arrowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Ray,
 I agree with beach, would love to see a picture of those broadheads.
Keep It Simple

Jeff Kitchens

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©