3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Windy Conditions  (Read 613 times)

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Windy Conditions
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
When you guy's shoot your trad bows in windy conds, do you have fishtailing arrow flight, I notice when im shooting in the wind my arrows have a fishtail, but when it;s calm they fly great. Is this normal or is there something else going on. Sorry for the rookie question.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Windy Conditions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
It is very normal and not much you can do about it except use the smallest fletch that you are positive will stabilize you broadhead arrow.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
Thank You, I thought i had an issue with the bow. I tried everything.
Dale

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
The big 5 1/2" shield cut feathers I use act like a wind sail, but I sure like'em! Jason

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
i use 4" feathers, Would the 5 or 5 1/2" work better in the wind?
Dale

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by 30pointbuck:
i use 4" feathers, Would the 5 or 5 1/2" work better in the wind?
Not really sure if any size vanes would fly perfect in the wind.
Dale

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
The bigger the feather, the more a cross wind will throw it off target, all other things being equal.

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
You mean there is places the wind doesn't blow? I seems to me that 4" feathers are affected much less than 5" feathers.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
I don't experience any fish tailing in heavy wind conditions probably because I shoot very heavy arrows which you can see in my signature.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 12:31:00 AM »
That is normal.  I shoot three 4" feathers with 200 - 250 grains up front.  My arrows bare shaft great beyond thirty yards.  When it is windy and I shoot in a cross wind my point hits right where I am shooting, but the rear of the arrow is off to the side up to eight inches during the flight.  Now keep in mind I am in Wyoming and its not considered windy until it is blowing at least 30-40 mph and 60mph is common  :D .  Also, the bare shafts do the same thing in the wind but to a lesser degree than fletched shafts.  I shoot a lot in the wind - If I didn't I would hardly get to shoot!

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
Im use to shooting wheel bow's and wind dosen't affect them as much, i just don't like poor flight in my arrows, but since i've put down the compound bow and going strictly traditional, it's much more of a challange, so after putting down the wheel bow and going traditional, im glad i did, guy's this is good stuff.
Dale

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
I keep thinking someone will talk about the difference when you get a broadhead up front.
I have not taken a hunting shot in wind, but when I prctice with the broadheads on a windy day they seem way more sensitive to deflection.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
I have not yet put on a broadhead i have only been shooting traditional for about a year, i want to make darn sure my form, and confidence, and bow is properly tuned before attempting broadheads.
Dale

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
Funny you should just post this, just came in from shooting, have been making and using some 3" parabolics and shields and shot them in a cross wind, with some 4" parabolics. The 3" shot like a dream, 4" kicked in the wind. Broadheads shoot the same, will be using them for turkeys this spring. If you want I could send you enough to fletch up 3-4 arrows, and try.
samuel koger

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
I have some Thank You kindly sir, i just didn't think they or 2" blazers would work for traditional bows, some rookie huh. lol. Im still learning.
Dale

Offline bowkevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
I too was just out shooting and thought the new arrows I was shooting were flying high tail left. But in a crosswind like we have here today I guess that could be the problem.
Wandering through the woods with stick and string

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I normally hate shooting on windy days.You just can't draw any conclusions about your shooting form because the wind is doing crazy things to the arrow flight.Lately,I have been experimenting with 3" 4 fletch after decades of shooting 5" 3 fletch.I have purposely been shooting on windy days with those arrows tipped with broadheads.They are way less affected by the wind than the 5" and are stabilizing the broadhead arrows very well.

That bad arrow flight caused by the wind will reduce penetration just like shooting a badly tuned arrow.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
I noticed that today. I got the bow tuned and was shooting in a 20mph. wind and was horriable.
almost made the mistake of adjusting the darn thing again.
Dale

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
In a cross wind at relatively short distances the arrow will hit slightly to the windward side due to the fletch being blown downwind thus steering the arrow to windward, counterintuitive.  On a longer shot the wind will drift it downwind.  I guess the force of the wind outweighs the steerage.  We had this situation at the Baltimore Bowman Traditional Classic wand shoot last year.  At 60-80 yards with a right cross wind the arrows were drifting 3-4 feet left.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
I certainly agree with that. Im shooting 20,30 yrds. and any wind makes shooting misserable, can't tell if your form, or equipment is in tune, it frustrates the heck out of me, and being new to traditional i find myself falling into the trap of making a million adjustments to fix bad arrow flight, instead of reminding myself its just the wind, and then have to retune the bow after the million adjs.
Dale

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©