3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Once Upon A Time- Monsters that got away !  (Read 843 times)

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Once Upon A Time- Monsters that got away !
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
As of lately most of our posts have been technical,you know what I mean,this bow that bow ,What arrow or broadhead and on and on.Its time for some hunting storys.We all know what we've done the highs and lows etc. etc.For some of you new fellas and gals I dedicate my storys to you ,for what this great sport is all about and the fun so many of us have had.
So pullup a log gather around the fire here as I'm going to take you on two past trips I think you'll enjoy.
As trad archers our percentage of success runs probably 10-15%,so as you can see alot of deer get away as oppssed to hitting the ground.
Going back on my notes I can honestly recount over 50 big deer that have escaped my arrows.Yea I look up on the wall and admire the big fellas hanging there but this isn't about them.This is about the ones that are still out there doing what they do best frustrating bowhunters!
The first hunt took place only two seasons ago and is actually quite funny and the second,well I guess you'll just have to wait and see !LOL
The morning started out as it always does for me ,in the pitch dark.I just pulled my SUV to the side of the grid road and shut her down.My gear was all gathered and all was organized as I like it.I crossed the barb wire fence did some isometrics to loosen up.I pulled two judos from my quiver and let fly at a couple of stale patties(Never shoot fresh ones)Everything was right on.A good friend owns this vast pasture I was hunting and only myself and one other fella were ever allowed to hunt it.Hes not a bowhunter so Sept. and Oct. I've got the place to myself.A couple weeks previous during some pre-scouting I'd found 5 nice bucks in a group,4 were average but one was a dandy,probably 30' wide,deep forks and real heavy.I will just use the PY scoring system to give you an idea of how big he was.I figured around 185.An animal I would truly like to put a Zwickey thru.
I headed towards my familiar little brush pile and set up my spotting scope.I was overlooking a vast brush covered flat filled with buck brush,wild roses and lots of forbs and plants and figured they'd be out feeding ,and if they did what they normally do and slowly head towards the side canyons as it broke light I'd be in a great position.About 175 yards below me was a heavy tangle of brush where I figured they would bed.My first scan with my binculars showed 3 of the5 bucks feeding on the flat,but no big boy.1 1/2 hours later and full light still didn't show the big fella.I happened to look in the brush pile below me again and something didn't look right.The spooting scope showed it perfectly,one side of a massive rack,Ah the hunt was on! From my little brushpile a small cow trail ran right down to where the deer was,and with cover on both sides offered a perfect opportunity to get right on him.I put on my small water pack as thats alli would need and left everything else at the brushpile .I got onto the trail and slowly started working my way towards him.I could see the tops of his antlers the whole way Perfect! I could tste the liver already ,yea right I know better than that.Halfway to the deer he decides to get up,no big deal he doesn't have a clue I'm there.He turns around puts his head down and slowly starts walking straight at me,even better!At 50 yards he keeps coming ,head down ,straight at me .Damn I'm ready arrow on the string in in complete predator mode!.... yep he keeps coming.At 20 yards I'm praying he will move off our little trail and turn broadside.Nope,he keeps coming,head down and now 10 yards,you guessed it ,he keeps coming.Geez I can see him blink hes so close,you got it,he keeps coming.NOW a shrub or bush I don't look like and I know he'll bust me soon ,No he keeps coming .I'm sitting on the ground and I can shoot my little homemade 57" recurve no problem.Please turn! No he keeps coming In all honesty he is 2 feet ,yes 2 feet away.I can poke him with my arrow ,but hes face on and I refuse a low risk shot.He stops and slowly looks up .His eyes are half shut and hes totally relaxed,unlike me!All of a sudden he realizes what I am and his eyes open wide like saucers.They we are eye to eye at 2feet.I know I won't get the shot SO....as I'm looking at him and him at me I do the first thing that comes to mind ,I say in a normal voice "NICE RACK" He does a 360 faster than you can blink and he actually sprayed dirt on my jacket.The hunts done!LOL.As I walk back to my truck I'm smiling and actually laughed about the experience.We talk about getting close,Yea that was close, and people wonder why we bowhunt.I wouldn't have it anyother way.
I'll continue tommorrow with story 2,you won't want to miss this one.So all you bowhunters join in about those huge Bucks,Bulls or boars that got away.
I'd just been talking with SteveO and he told me to quite being so lazy and get these storys on here!LOL.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Once Upon A Time- Monsters that got away !
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Xavier

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
2feet! Crazy. I guess there is such thing as to close to shoot.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
in 2005 i was wanting to hunt elk on the oregon coast where i had grown up.i planned to hunt an area named 'horn creek'by all of the locals because of the unreal number of blacktail bucks that were in this big coastal hill area.having hunted this area my entire life i knew where the elk trails were and where the fern covered ridges that they routinely bedded on were.i left salem oregon on a friday morning,the second week of archery season and drove the seventy miles to the locked gate that only a few of us knew where the key was hidden under a rock.i drove up to the camping spot that i'd used so many times in the past.on the way in i swear i saw fifty deer in a two mile drive up the old logging roads.i was after elk though.i set up camp then put on my camo and shot a few rounds at my trusty deer target just to get the memory going in my muscles and to loosen up.i was shooting a black widow ma at the time.sixty five pounds at my 30" draw.i looked at my watch and headed out with my pack on and bow in hand.i trekked up horn creek for at least an hour until i spotted the old familiar fir tree that had fallen across the creek years before.i had gone in and used an axe to trim all the limbs off the top side to make a nice wide bridge for crossing horn creek.as far as i knew no one else ever used this area because of the thick salmon berry brush and sal-al brush that made crossing very difficult indeed.i often wondered just how many people had ever been where i was headed.the ridge i was climbing ended right at the creek so i started trudging up the elk trails that were like freeways going up to the top,zigzagging back and forth yet still plenty steep.i reached the top and stopped to listen for any sounds.hearing nothing i dug in my pack for my cowcall and after checking the wind i started along the ridge,walking quietly stopping every hundred yards or so to call a couple soft mews.i continued this method for at least an hour with no results.the ridge i was following goes slightly upwards for a couple of miles then drops off gently down to a large alder thicket where another smaller creek wound its way down to horn creek.i started following this creek using the sound to mask my movement in the dry forest floor.this also proved to be my undoing as i later found out.i knew exactly where this creek joined horn creek and knew i would have traveled around five miles by the time i got back to camp.as i worked my way downstream i suddenly caught the very strong scent of elk.i froze in my tracks looking all around for elk moving through the alders.i spotted a few cows feeding down the hill headed away from the creek,i was now hunting instead of looking.i started after them doing my best to not be seen or heard.elk are a pretty fast grazing animal,they seem to be in a hurry most of the time.i could barely keep up with them.i decided to risk it and speed way up to close the gap.i got to within maybe fifty yards of the rear cows when i saw a tree moving down the hill.tree huh...it was a huge bull.he looked to be at least a 7x7 and man was he big.very heavy thick rack complete with crowns on top.roosevelt bulls get some awesome mass to them and this big boy was the herdmaster.i lost all focus but what he was doing.he was not feeding but just herding his cows along meandering nowhere in particular.all of a sudden the entire forest exploded and elk were running past me and they were scared of something.the bull ran down to the right and headed back up towards the creek area.i knew this was my only chance to get close enough for a shot so i took off after him.knowing he was alone temporarily i started calling in a lost cow urgent type of call,he grunted a few times then mewed back at me.i knew it was him because of the heavy loud mews you hear from bulls compared to cows.i kept calling in a desperate tone and he kept talking right back to me.i was getting closer and closer then i spotted him by the creek thrashing on a small alder,spraying all over himself.i was within i'd say forty yds of him and he was not looking my direction at all.twenty more yards i told myself,i covered the ground as quiet as i could arrow nocked.i stopped,waiting for him to turn and give me a shot.well..somehow i had forgotten all about the rest of the herd and also the fact that cows come to lost cow calls also.i looked to my right when i heard at least three elk throwing alarm barks all over the place.of course you all know what happened next."STAMPEDE" all over again.i sat down defeated but wouldnt have had it any other way.i ended up arrowing a fat spike bull on the sixth day when i was ambush hunting a heavily used trail.heres a picture of my brothers world record archery bull taken a few miles from horn creek.

IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:32:00 AM »
Steve, what a thrill!this is better than a successful shot at 20 yards,love that.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:39:00 AM »
Nice story,excellent spot Larry.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
Larry,Love those Rosies,i can't imagine how big that bull would be.Stuff like that is why we do what we do!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
:campfire:  

Sure is nice to have company in the frustration department!  

Don't be stingy with the pictures either.

Maybe one fall I won't draw any tags and I can come up there and flag you in to one of those bruisers.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
It was before daylight on a windless September morning. I was huffing and puffing my way up a trail following Bear Creek in the Washakie wilderness of northwest Wyoming. This was the second day of what was to be a 10 day elk hunt, and I was brimming with confidence.
Ahead, there was a big park, and in times past, I had seen elk on its edges at first light. This was where my initial attention would be focused on this morning.
I tried not to shiver as I hiked; it was a typical cool morning at 9000 feet, and along with the excitement of the hunt and the temperature, I felt chilly. I pulled the bow a few times while walking, trying to loosen up so that I could be ready if an opportunity came along.
About 100 yards before I entered the park, I decided to bugle. First light was making it where I could make out shapes, and so I thought that if an elk answered, there should be enough light to take a shot. I had not taken the grunt tube from my lips when a bull screamed at me, and the sound came from directly ahead, maybe 150 yards away, which would put him uphill from me and probably in the open sagebrush area of the park. As my heart rate went up, I drew an arrow from my Catquiver and felt for the locator nock, putting the arrow on the string by feel, and started to slowly edge my way forward.
It took maybe 5 minutes to move that 100 or so yards, always looking up toward the hill ahead to see if there was any movement. The bull bugled another time during that few minutes, and the adrenalin was pumping. Just ahead was a steep slope that was about 50 feet high, and I knew that just beyond that the park leveled out, and that was where I thought the bull should be. As I planned my attack, I started to see cows moving on top of the slope, and then there was MR. elk, mingling with his cows. They were all somewhat backlighted by the early morning dawn, and the bull sported some very large and impressive antlers. He was at least a 6x6, maybe more, and very wide and tall. He was maybe 30 yards away, and straight up the hill. I was pumped, and he was the king of his domain.
The arrow was on the string, and I brought the recurve to full draw and let fly. There was a 'whack' sound, and the bull jumped sideways, but did not leave. Confused, I nocked another wooden 'bullet' and let fly again, this time seeing the white fletch go over his back. He stayed, and I loaded up yet again. Completely flustered, I launched another one over his back, and this time he got the picture and decided it was time to leave and take his cows with him, but not before standing in the middle of the park, maybe 100 yards from me, and bugling his head off.
Well, I had heard that 'whack', so I hit something on that first shot. I went up the hill to where he had been standing initially, and there, laying in plain sight, was a sliver of elk antler about 6 inches long. My first shot had been right where I was looking; right at his huge antlers, and the arrow shaved a momento of the hunt for me. It was to be the only bit of an elk that I would take home that year.
Since elk and I have a love/hate relationship, this story is not one of my favorites to tell, but it is typical of my elk hunting exploits over a bunch of years. This only goes to show that an instinctive shooter had better bear down and 'pick a spot', and preferably that spot should not be a bull's antlers.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
It was 1984 in Elkhart County, Indiana. It was Tuesday, Election Day the first Tuesday in November.  From my tree stand I could peer throught the leafless hardwoods across a 200-acre picked cornfield and see Michigan.

I was a private lands biologist at the time just a few years into a career I retired from in 2007. I had been working with farmers to improve their habitat in this, one of my eight counties, since early morning. As I had planned, when the last appointment was over I drove to my 1,100 acre hunting spot (yep it was the best I've ever had)parked the truck, and pulled some camo over my field uniform.

It was a bit more than a mile of walking along ditch roads that bisect two large marshes before entering the woods. Then I turn right on a dirt-lane that goes through the middle of a mature forest. I'm headed for one of my favorite stands..the crows nest. When I arrived at the tree I had to shinny up the adjacent tree, only slightly smaller than the tree my stand is in. Neither tree was larger than 10" in diameter. The "nest" was just a 3'x3' sheet of plywood placed between 4 limbs that all rise vertically from the tree. There's no way I could get in this stand today, I had to climb level to the stand and then extend my legs to the platform and squirm into the stand.

Once in the stand, with just about an hour and half before dark, I started watching the edge of a very nasty button-bush swamp where it meets my woods about 70 yards away. I can lean against one of the vertical limbs but I have to be careful moving because the limb will shake.  Unlike most evenings I didn't see a single deer until about half-way into the sit. I've seen as many as 25-30 deer from this stand in BOW RANGE at times.

Then I saw deer shins mixed among the young maple saplings at the edge of the marsh. The deer was walking directly towards me. Then I saw his rack.  My gosh! I had never seen this deer before. He had a very dark, grey rack. There were points everywhere! His rack was well beyond his ears, and a very symmetrical shape but for all the points. I didn't even think about counting them but I'm sure there were at least 10 typical points and at least that many various sizes of points going every which way. I had been a PY Measurer since 1979 and measured 75-100 deer per year as part of my job. I had never seen a non-typical like this. I won't hazard to report what I think it would have scored but he would have been the largest deer I would shoot at from then to now -- far bigger!

He "waddled" towards my stand. (I had bow-killed a 265# field dressed 9 point on this farm a couple years earlier-142PY before deductions.) He walked slowly without looking east or west, just aiming for the cornfield and the Does he expected to find there.  My problem was 1). The crows nest was too low at 10' high. 2).The tree was small without lots of cover, and 3). he was walking right at the tree forcing me to guess what side he would walk on so I could position myself for the shot.

I guessed left which was right (correct). I didn't have to adjust much since I was a RH shooter in those days. I had the bow up with just a tad of pressure on the string. He was passing the tree at less than 10 yards. He stopped. I could see his eye-lashes and GIANT left-eye! as I refused to study that rack. I was afraid to draw. I just knew if I moved with him broadside he'd see the movement and be gone. So I let him pass hoping for a going away shot.

He went past me and I swiveled that direction. He stopped between 15-20 yards away to stare through towards the crops. There were saplings all around and between us. The only shot I had was to hit him just in front of the hip and angle to the opposite shoulder. I considered it for a few seconds and decided to pass. If I was a little right I'd hit his hip, a little left and I'd hit a sapling and who knows what would mayhem would result from that--nothing good!  I hoped he would make a 90 degree left turn and walk broadside staying in the woods instead of going on to the crops -- I'd get a shot then.

He didn't. He walked directly from me and I never say him again.  I was a wreck and started the second guessing that very second and those "what ifs" continue from time to every hunting seasson for me. I don't regret the decision not to shoot.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
LOL,Bowwild and Centaur,GREAT storys,There sure are alot of " What Ifs" in hunting big animals.I wished I had Taperecorded all the conversations I"ve had with myself walking back to my truck! Then again this is a public site!LOL

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Bowwild,

Thanks for sticking in a few paragraph breaks for "readablity".  I fight with double vision from an illness, and I am having trouble making it through some of the other great stories!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
Sorry for the couple of typos

"through" not "throught"
"what mayhem would"
"from time to time every hunting season"

Don't know why I don't proof-read better the first time?

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
I dont want to talk about it
The older I get the better I was

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
It happened a couple of year ago.   Now my family knows I hunt hard from October 30 till Christmas, but Thanksgiving and the weekend following are my big time. But as things go my wife scheduled an event for that Saturday that was to last all day. So being the loving husband that I am and fearing the dog house which is small I might add, I gave up the day of hunting. As it happened we returned home at around 2:00-2:30. Being a perfect Kansas winter day 35 deg and sunny, no wind to speak of which means it’s below 15 MPH, I decide to go on out to my stand and see what’s hopping.  I got into my stand at around 3:00, with the sunset at 4:30. Now I have to qualify that on this particular stand if I see a nice deer in a day it’s a good day. It sits in a wood lot at the rear of the pasture back of my house, which made it good for days like this.

I had no more then pulled my bow up into the stand then in walks a little six point. He’s moving like he's on fire, so no shoot there. But I've seen a deer, so good day. About 30 Min. later here comes a nice doe into the clearing, I look behind her and the brush along the creek is moving. Then I notice this huge rack above the brush not real wide, but tall and heavy. I'm looking trying to count points. I've never seen a deer this big before. He's coming in on the trail of the doe and will cross broad side at twelve yards. Suddenly his head comes up and he's looking straight at me. Now the wind is from him to me, and though my heart is beating a 100 miles an hour I'm pretty sure he can't hear it, so how did he bust me so fast. Just then I hear leaves crunching behind me. Slowly turning I look back behind my tree and there stands the second biggest buck I've ever seen, a ten point good mass, nice body. Now the first buck is a little upset at the appearance of this new suitor to the doe and he makes a beeline towards buck number two. This unfortunately puts him on the wrong side of my stand and he didn’t give me enough time to turn to get a shot. Now these two are nose to nose and pushing and shoving.  To that point I had never seen two big bucks really fight for a doe. It’s a sight to see. They were out for blood.

Here stand two of the best deer of my life and they are behind my tree. I can lean out and see them but can't balance enough to get my bow out and shoot, plus their moving around. So I sit and watch. Just then I hear another sound off to my left, and about 35 yards out from my stand are two identical 8 point bucks. They are not in the class of the first two but no slouch. They were just standing there watching the fight. I figured later they were fight promoters looking to see which one they wanted to sponsor. Now at this point I've forgotten the doe that everyone was fighting over. Not a good thing to do. She had now worked her way down wind of my stand and I would imagine spotted me moving. One snort and the only one still left in that clearing was me. I had 5 nice bucks in the clearing in an hour and a half and never loosed an arrow. But man that day will always be one of my best in my memory.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Hey folks.    please do me a favor.  

When you are writing a long story. . and please continue to do so. . .  break up the story into paragraphs (see Bow Wilds post)  it is very difficult for me to follow and read the story when there is no break at all.

Thanks
ChuckC

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Lab ,great story,its amazing one minute deer are all over and your positive you'll get a shot and then in the next second,Nothing ! unreal.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Chuck
Sorry, I went back and corrected. English as a second language, you know. Now if I could just figure out what my first language is I could do better with that I'm sure.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
Okay,this happened about 20yrs ago but it seems like yesterday. I was hunting one morning in october on the very edge of a standing corn field. Just after first light,I notice a large rack floating through the tops of the corn to my right and out about 20yds from my stand. What was strange was the way the rack was moving violently up and down,almost like this buck was so heavy he's like sinking into the muddy field with each step. I grabbed my grunt tube since he's going away from me at a quartering angle and grunt a couple times. He imediately stops and his rack swings in my direction,it's at this time I realize this buck is not only huge,but he's the first nontypical I had ever seen from a tree stand. He stands faceing my direction for a few seconds and starts walking my way. I grab my bow and get ready and on he comes to the edge of the field where he hits a deer trail which runs directly beneath my tree. Now with him only about ten yards away I can see the reason his rack was bobing up and down so much in the corn field. This buck is holding his back right leg up and tight to his side not letting it come close to touching the ground. And right above the elbow joint there is a huge knot the size of a softball,probably been shot or gorred by an antler,who knows. Anyways on he comes,this buck is big and I'm already at the taxidermists shop sharing my story and gettin my ego stroked by my friends,lol. Well this buck stops directly under my tree and I'm lookin down at his back that looks three feet wide and is right there below me,I can spit on this dude he looks so close. So then I make one of the stupidists decisions I've ever made,and that of corse is to spine shoot him and drop him in his tracks. So I come to full draw,pick my spot and release my arrow at this nonexpecting world class nontypical. What happened next led to many sleepless nights for weeks and months after. It seemed to me that at the release of my arrow I heard a loud explosion and my arrow blew up with peices going every where! Of course this freaked the buck which ran from under my tree and ended up standing in some brush 30yds or so away. And now I could really see how huge he was,which very closely brought me to tears. I grunted at him several times but to no avail as he turned and limped out of my life forever,and like so many times never to be seen again. My first thought of my arrow was that It had been defective in some way causing it to shatter,this was an aluminum shaft. But on further investigation,I found that at full draw and bending over to shoot directly under my tree my arrow just happened to be precariously right next to my last tree step which I used to grab to pull myself into my tree stand. I guess my release must have been a lil sloppy causing the arrow to slam against the step and the rest as they say is history. Alas over the years the size of that rack has been burned into my brain and I am now convinced if I had waited for the buck to continue past my tree and offer me a good ethical broadside shot,I now would be very famous indeed,lol. Beleive me when I say,I have never and will never again pull that crazy stunt!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©