3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Once Upon A Time- Monsters that got away !  (Read 844 times)

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Once Upon A Time- Monsters that got away !
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Guys!
Keep it coming! I am really enjoying this.

Thanks Ken
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
This happened about 15 years ago in Illinois. I had only hunted this property for a couple years and was starting to learn more about the property each year. I was seeing several large bucks since this and the surrounding properties were not bow hunted back then.

The day was Nov 5th at 2:00PM. Buck sign was really starting to show up everywhere. Too get to the part of the property I was going to hunt that evening you had to drive down a wooded lane for about 300 Yds with large mature white oak and red oak trees on both sides of the road. As you get toward the end of the lane the timber stops and the farmers’ 2 acre yard and Machine shed appear. Thirty yards before you exit the wooded lane there was an Oak tree the size of your thigh that was just shredded and the tree next to it had a major scrape under it. While I exited the timbered lane something caught my eye in the side view mirror crossing the road. I took my foot from the gas pedal and my gaze went to the rear view mirror. I had seen several nice bucks but standing in the road was the biggest buck I had seen and he had a large drop tine hanging from one antler. While I gazing in the mirror, one of my front tires dropped down into the ditch alongside the lane. This caused me to veer sharply back onto the road.

The next day I arrived earlier and parked on the opposite side of the machine shed. I stood at the corner of the shed with binoculars and glassed the road. As if on cue exactly at 2:00 PM the buck steps from the timber onto the road. This buck was well over 250 pounds basic 10 pointer with an 8 to 9 inch drop tine on the right side.

I thought this is the easiest buck I have ever seen to pattern. I had an extra 18 ft ladder stand not being used that I planned to place 60 yds from the road on the trail the buck was leaving on. The next day after the morning hunt I set the ladder stand up into 2 red oak trees growing close together. I made certain to wear rubber boots and rubber gloves and not to disrupt the area any more than necessary.

That evening I arrived back at 12:30 with plans of climbing into the ladder stand. For some reason I decided to hunt a wooden stand I had helped build for the landowners wife during shotgun season. This stand was about 70 yds to the west of the ladder stand. I was constantly checking the trail behind me the ladder stand was on. At 1:55 PM I notice movement at the edge of the timber on the ladder stand trail. Sure enough it's the big boy. I am now thinking why the heck had I chose this stand. He is walking slowly with his nose to the ground as he gets about 30 yards from the ladder stand the brakes go on. The buck stares at the stand then slowly turns around and makes a big loop heading right towards me. He did not seem spooked but it was like, (that wasn't there yesterday).

I by now am thinking this might work out. I pick the recurve up and get ready. The buck steps onto an old logging road at 10 yds. He then turns quartering away watching back towards the ladder stand. At this time I am thinking who the heck is doing all the hammering I am hearing, and then I realized this was the biggest buck I had ever seen and the hammering noise was my heart pounding. Like others I am thinking my buddies are not going to believe this. As I pull the bow back and release the arrow flies over the bucks back by a foot or more. The bucks just flinches and takes a couple steps then turns again to look back at the ladder stand. I am now shaking and thinking there is no way I can get another arrow out for another shot. As I pull the second arrow back and try to relax somewhat my heart now slows to 200 beats and I am thinking aim low because he is even closer now. Sure enough I release and shave some long white hair from his belly.

I got down later and never found any speck of blood on the arrow or ground just about 6 white hairs. Never saw the deer any time after that anywhere. I forget lots of things as I age but that memory will stick with me forever.
PBS  Member

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
OK hears my story. The year was 2000 and my first year to bow hunt Iowa. I grew up in SW Minnesota an area not knowen for big whiteails. Threw a friend at work I ended up in southern Iowa hunting a farm on the Ven Bruen-Jefferson county line. Meet the owner on the 29 of Oct. and he showed me around a bit and suggested I hang a stand in the timber ware 3 fence lines came together. Now being from MN. I had never hunted this type of land so I took his advice and put up a hang on stand and hunted that night with out seeing any deer and planning on returning the following week-end. During the week I talk to the owner and he tells me his son saw one of the biggest bucks he has ever seen he son is only 20 years old and I know how those big buck storys go. Sat AM I'm in my stand a full 30 munites befroe any light. Now 2 hours later I hear deer running and a buck grunting coming my way. In comes a buck in the 140 class range and I'm all hot having never seen a buck like this in my life as they get about 40 yards away down the other fence line I hear more grunting and up show an OMG buck. The kind every one but the Wenzel brothers dream about. So now I have 2 bucks with in 30 yards faceing each other and the hair on their necks standing straight up. What happened next I'm sure I will never see again. Those 2 bucks tore into each other and the leaves and fur was a flying. If you've never seen 2 mature bucks fight its a sight to behold and it went on for about 5 munites. In the mean time the doe had wondered in and was about 20 yards away from my stand and when the fight was over the big boy walked a bee line to the doe stopping less then 10 yards from my stand. Now to say I was shook is an under statement. When he stopped I was standing ready to shoot but I was so exceited in the proccess of pulling the bow back I managed to rattle the arrow of the shelf of the bow and the arrow falling straight to the ground. The buck turned and look athe arrow and took for chaseing the doe never to be seen by me again.

Now the bad part the owners son shot that buck during gun season. It scores 196 after deductions.

How lucky was I just to see a buck like that.

doug77

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Bofish and Doug ,Great storys,Its amazing how much a person practices and you think you have everything down pat,then a big boy shows up and a fella completely falls to pieces!lOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 06:32:00 AM »
Steve , I more than fell apart that day, but you wouldn't belive how many time in a hunting sesason I am thankful for that day.

doug77

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Doug your so right!I very seldom comeapart anymore as I've been around so many big deer ,BUT my next storys a little diffearant
LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Awesome stories everyone!!! Great idea for a thread Steve!  These experiences are truly what it is all about. The fact that we are hunting with equipment that requires fairly close range shooting allows us to get more than our fair share of these kinds of encounters. Some end up with meat in the freezer and a taxidermy bill and some do not but all of them are incredible!

Like many of the above stories mine involves the biggest deer I have ever seen on the hoof. I am lucky to own 230 acres of mixed riverbreaks and cropground with a friend of mine. Most years we seem to have a fair number of does, fawns and small bucks residing in and around but very rarely is there a big buck residing on our ground.

I suppose it was 15 years ago give or take that I experienced the exception to this rule. Our property consists of about 100 acres of cropground "on top" surrounded by oak and cedar ravines. The cropground on top is divided by a ravine. I first noticed the buck when I jumped him when I was spring turkey hunting. He was in velvet and had not had long to develop but already had incredible brow tines.

As the year wore on, I learned that the big guy was living in the middle ravine with two other bucks. I had the opportunity to watch them on dozens of ocassions in the summer and late fall as they exited the middle ravine and fed in the hay field east of the ravine. In a normal year I would have been out of my mind about the second biggest buck who was a 5x5 that had to be in the 150's.

But the big boy was just unreal! He was a typical 6x6 that matched up perfectly. His brow tines had to be at least 10" and maybe taller. The rest of the tines were proportionately tall and well matched. The main beams stretched out wide and then curved back in.              

By way of comparison this buck would have dwarfed the biggest deer I have shot with a bow which is this one.

I had watched these 3 bucks enter the hayfield at the same place all summer and early fall and I had a stand hung that would give me a 15 yard shot and was perfect for the prevailing wind. As often happens the closer it got to the bowhunting opener the less they showed up until they disappeared entirely. I am sure they had gone nocturnal but had no way to confirm this as this was before trail cameras were common.

I hunted all of October and the 1st part of November without seeing the big boy or any good bucks for that matter. It was the middle of November and snow was falling, it was cold as he## and the wind was blowing at least 30 mph. I
was in a tree stand down in one of the ravines trying not to freeze to death or get seasick from the constant swaying of the tree. All of the sudden I see a buck through some thick brush with its nose down trotting stiff legged like they do when they are real rutty and chasing a doe. I could not see the rack but I could see it had a huge body with a sway back and huge swollen neck. I let out a couple grunts on my grunt tube but due to the wind I could tell he could not hear me. I waited for about 5 minutes after he got out of sight hoping that he might end up coming back my way. Out of desperation I grabbed my rattling horns and really crashed them together hoping that he could hear it over the wind.

I have never had horn rattling produce such immediate results before or since! That big fella came charging in like he was on a string. He came to a skidding stop 15 yards from the base of my tree... perfect right? Nope, there were two things wrong. First, he was staring straight up into the tree and had me pegged. Second, I had not had enough time to put down the rattling horns and pick up my bow before he made his dramatic entrance. Yup, it was the big 6x6. There we sat in a stand off until he whirled awy and was never seen again.

I really believe that this would have been a 200"+ typical. I have a matched set of sheds from buck that I saw live on the hoof the day before he dropped that was measured by an official P&Y scorer that grossed 190" and netted 179" and that 6x6 was markedly bigger.

What an experience!!! As far as I know that deer died of old age as it is impossible to keep it quiet if a deer of that caliber is killed locally.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
Sorry for the one big paragraph effect. In my draft it was paragraphed and still appears that way when I try to go back and edit it so not sure how to fix it?
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Hey guys I figured out the paragraph deal and fixed it. Not to tough actually, but sometimes I am slow!   :knothead:

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
bohuntr I have had the exact thing happen twice while rattling. Makes you almost want to throw the rattling antlers at them.
PBS  Member

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Oh boy have I got a story. The year after I killed this buck

his identical twin was coming out into an alfalfa field every night before the season began. Well to make a long story short I sat up right by the trail he and his 8 point buddy was using on the third night of the season (due to bad winds). Hunkered in the 5' tall weeds about 15 yards from the trail I sat and waited. Sitting on a 5 gallon bucket the plan was to let the deer walk out into the field before I shot him. Well this night the monster and his buddy decided not to show on schedule. About 20 minutes before last shooting light I scoured the woods behind me with my binos without seeing either of them. So I stood up and put on my jacket and was readying my gear to leave when I sat back down and peered back to see them on their way in. They walked right out the trail behind me. I looked up and notices the 8 pointer about 50 yards out in the hay field. With no sight or sound of the big boy I just sat motionless. About 5 minutes passed and I finally see the big deer about 15 yards in front of me with his head buried in the knee high alfalfa. I stood and drew and released. My string ran down my puffy jacket sleeve and the arrow flew helplessly under the monsters belly. He trotted off never to be seen or heard of again. I swear he was identical to the one I had shot the year before. It all still gives me nightmares.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Tj,Great story,I wonder how many big bucks have been saved by "Floppy sleeves",Great stuff and NICE DEER !

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
I was hunting Kansas 3 seasons ago. We had a new piece of ground to hunt and I had hunted it one morning, missing a nice P&Y 8 point and then moving it because all the deer were funneling under one tree 150 yards away.

Next day I get into this tree thinking I'm going to do the whole day sit thing. I was in it maybe an hour and "snap" right underneath me was this really nice 150" 10 point. He walks away and at 12 steps stops, and kind of licks a branch to the side of the trail and away my arrow goes, only to hit a branch that'd I'd seen through!

argghhhh

I sit the rest of the morning, disgusted, and at 11 or so I figure walk 5 minutes back the truck, get a drink .... did that, come back, cut that branch off, added a tarsal gland to one side of the trail and pee on the other, back in the tree I go.

In that stand, I hung my catquiver on the backside, the swung into the tree, then got situated. Well I literally sat down, looked up and here comes this MONGO buck through the brush, onto the trail and I'm trying to reach around and get an arrow ... and I knock the fricking catquiver off and catch it with my off hand. I'm trying to get it hung back up and I'm watching this MONGO sniff where I cut the limb, the tarsal gland, the pee ...... he was a 5x5, stickers up to 5-6" long off his G2' and G3's, unreal mass .... 190" is my guess on what he'd have scored

I never loosed an arrow at him.

2 minutes earlier into that tree ....  :(

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
Brad,you never loosed an arrow BUT you got to play the game!A memory forever.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve Clandinin:
Tj,Great story,I wonder how many big bucks have been saved by "Floppy sleeves",Great stuff and NICE DEER !
Steve, I would be willing to bet quit a few. From that day now, I check and double check everything.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Holy crap TJ!!!

If I saw a buck like that I would probably forget what I was doing and just throw the whole bow at it.

I`m pretty good under pressure...but, DANG!!!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I know there are alot more stories of "monsters that got away", and with only three pages, apparently most of us don`t want to tell them.  :D  

Probably the biggest racked buck I have ever seen was walking along the edge of some thick stuff where cutovers meet big timber. It was a cold,still morning just before the breeding would start. I saw him and gave a couple soft grunts. He hesitated, looked my way and continued the way he was going. I did it once more...same thing, he just walked away. I could hear his footfalls for quite a while. I was in shock just by the sight of him.

An hour later, my empty stomach, and lack of deer got me to thinking about food. I KNEW I should stay, and I did, but it was a half hearted effort. My edge was gone,I was like a dull broadhead.

A slight noise close by to my left caused me to recklessly turn my head...and there HE was! He had caught my movement and had pegged me. He somehow slipped in to ten yards through leaves three inches deep and frozen crispy. He HAD paid attention to my grunts, and responded in HIS good time.

I can still see the width of those antlers compared to his huge body as he turned and jumped away.

When he ran off, I got a case of the shakes so bad, you all would have died laughing.   :archer2:

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
I've got so many of these types of stories that I could talk away an entire night and probably a 12 pack!  I've written about a couple close calls for TBM years ago.  
     For a guy who lives in Illinois, I don't have a ton of big bucks on my wall.  Funny thing is this.  I started to get better at getting in range of big bucks the same time I ditched my compound and starting hunting with a recurve.  I think I hunted with a compound for maybe 2 seasons.  Anyway, back then, I had ALOT of land to hunt, and had ample time to scout.  I scouted relentlessly year round.  
     One year I had been watching a monster 5x5 all summer long.  I took notes on where he came out of the woods, according to wind direction.  I was trying to find a mistake he was making that I could capitalize on.  Trouble is, I never saw him make a mistake.  He always entered the field with the wind in his face.  If the wind was blowing so that he could not enter the field with it in his face, he would not come out.  
    Like so often happens, just before bow season opened,he vanished.  I was not too concerned.  I figured he was feeding on acorns, and was likely still in the area.  The season wore on, and I had not layed eyes on him.  
    A couple of days before gun season, I did a little quick scouting in an area I figured he could maybe be hiding out in.  The place was an extremely thick spot high on top of a ridge.  There was a trail that ran parallel to to ridge, and on the edge of the thicket.  
   I figured this would be a great way for a buck to scent check for does when the wind was right.  To make the spot even sweeter, there was a giant scrape in the trail, and 12 yards from the scrape was a cedar tree.  I just got that "feeling" about the spot.  I quickly hung a stand in the cedar and got out of there. I was in the tree the next afternoon, and the rut was going strong.  Bucks were running everywhere, and I even passed up 2 bucks already.  Just before quitting time, I heard something behind me.  I slowly looked, and here he came.  He waltzed right into that scrape and started doing the licking branch thing.  This was just too good to be true.  This is the first big buck I had ever had in front of me...and my first season hunting with my recurve.  I was shaking so bad that I could barely stand up.  I finally snapped out of it and realized I had better make my move, or he was gonna be out of my life!  I finally got stood up.  He again reached up and worked the licking branch.  Was was broadside at a whopping 12 yards.  Chip shot!  I slowly drew and I can still to this day picture the arrow going right under his heart!  I mean how can you miss a shot at a 250lb. whitetail from 12 yards?  He took off running, and I had tears in my eyes as darkness took over.  I never saw him again.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
I've got another story about missing the same huge buck twice in one season!  Luckily for me, my shooting has greatly improved since then, and I am able to keep "buck fever" more under control!

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Jon,Great stuff,what about that other story? Love to hear it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©