3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Talk me into it or out of it... DAS Dalaa  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Talk me into it or out of it... DAS Dalaa
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
I'm a longbow shooter at heart, but have shot and owned a lot of recurves in the past.  The two I have liked the best were the Black Widow SA/PSA and the DAS Master Hunter.  Haven't owned either in 7-8 years...

Recently bought a used PSA II(58", and 70# @ 30").  Right in my preferred length and weight and at a great price.  Well, while shooting this bow I've got the hankering to get a DAS bow again.

Do your best to talk me into it, or out of it...  I have to say I'm really leaning towards getting one.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Talk me into it or out of it... DAS Dalaa
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
This won't probably sway you one way or the other, but those always reminded me of compounds with no wheels-I like wood. Just my 2 cents.

RonP

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
Jeff... get one... you know you wanna... dunno how it'll size up against the DAS Master though... and there is no comparing these bows to a compound with or without wheels... metal riser traditional bows have been around for a long long while.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
I've been shooting bows since I was knee high to a tadpole, about 40 or so yrs. I've tried a lot of bows over this time span. Now that doesn't mean I've tried all of em and there are some great bows out there I'm sure I haven't tried. But from what I have tried, for me can't say for anyone else, the 17" DAS riser, Dalaa, is the most accurate and forgiving bow I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. But, believe it or not, I sent the first one back that came with wood limbs. About a yr later I bought one used with W&W foam core limbs. It felt great but still couldn't shoot it well. So I ordered up a low grip handle which improved things but still it wasn't quite right. I then had Jager make me a minimalist grip and all I can say is WOW! Now I can pile arrows into a 3" circle at 25 yards like I've been shooting this bow for decades. I have never in those 40 or so yrs been this accurate with any bow, other than a compound. Then, possessed with a burning desire to experiment and possibly achieve perfection, I bought a set of Border Hex5 limbs.... WOW! Now I have accuracy coupled with SPEED and a smoothness of draw like I've never felt before. This bow is a true joy and pleasure to shoot.

The bottom line is and you gotta remember Jeff, are the infinite possibilities of handles, rests and limbs that you can possibly try to find the best blend of traditional shooting perfection for you. Just do it and don't look back.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:23:00 AM »
I had one.  It was smooth and dead in the hand.  Plenty of adjustability, as you know.  I sold it only because I shot my BW better.  To be fair, I didn't give enough time to the Dalaa.  I may buy another now that there are more limb options readily available.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
Let me just remind you that youve go a couple of sweet MOABs on your bow rack, I guess Im talking you out of it.   :dunno:

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:27:00 AM »
A lot of guy's don't like metal riser bows or say they aren't trad, I have a couple Titans and have shot a Dalaa. These bows are truly dead in the hand and shoot fabulous,I'm slowly getting rid of my wood bows simply because I shoot the metal riser bows better. The final choice is yours but my opinion is go for it.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
I tried one last year from 3 Rivers. (Basic stock model)They offered a 30 day money back guarantee so I had nothing to lose. It shot good groups and I even Robin Hooded an arrow at 25 yds. Just not as smooth and dead in the hand as my A&H ACS or my Centaur. I sent it back. Nothing bad to say about it. Great deal & Thumbs up to 3 River Archery for offering such a deal and following thru with their promise.  Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Since you told us that story, I hope you will explain why you sent it back because the way you just told it, it sounded like a lousy thing to do to a good merchant.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
What portugeejn said! I big part of trad  bows for me is the Beauty of the WOOD!.....KY

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
Since you told us that story, I hope you will explain why you sent it back because the way you just told it, it sounded like a lousy thing to do to a good merchant.
Inquiring minds want to know.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Hand made wood bow with is warmth and soul or machined made with cold aircraft aluminum soulless?Personal choice.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Warmth maybe, but soul? Really? You know, ti-guy, that there are an awfully lot of wood risers that are made with a CNC machine just like aluminum. Black Widow and Bear both come to mind----and these are both bows that have an enormous following.
 I guess an aluminum riser can have "soul", too. Its all in the perspective, I think that the "life" of a bow is all in the limbs anyway.
 JMO----and of course no offense meant here, just an expression of opinion.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Soul in a chunk of deadwood?  :rolleyes:  

Been shooting the DAS for years - there is no down side, only good.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
The Daala & my Morrison Metal 15" ILF with Daala limbs are my main hunting bows.  They provide a 10% weight adjustment, tiller adjustment & are extremely accurate with a 2 lbs. + riser.  The stock limbs are smooth & quick, although I would be pleased to try out a set of the new carbon foams by 3R!

Sure, the handle is really cold to the touch when the temps. go low, but I have gloves on anyway & the confidence that I feel shooting the DAS trumps this issue. Plus they are practically bullet proof and an excellent value even with the new limbs.

I agree with what the others have said about the beauty & ascetics of wood bows, I own a large stable of these custom beauties;  they just don't get hunted with much.

At the end of the day, I think you've already made your decision, don't look back cause once you get your DAS back on.... Your're gonna have a big old smile each time you loose an arrow on the 10 ring or sweet spot!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
Get the riser and a set of the new dryad longbow ACS limbs and you have the best of both worlds

Offline Turkeys Fear Me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
To each his own, but if it were me, I would choose one of the 17" metal risers with the ILF connection.

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
maxwell hit on a dandy combo there. last time I
checked,Wingnut had some ACS limbs in stock. Wish
we could all get along on what is and what is'nt
trad. I love wood,I love feathers and leather.
and I think metal riser recurve/longbows look
very tough. Lets all take aim at the ANTI-HUNTER
instead.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
I have a DAS Master Hunter, 65# at 29 in. When i first got the bow, i thought the poundage of off, since it pulled so smooth, no, it is not as pretty as my Marriah Thermal or Dale Dye, but,man, it really is smooth and is extremely fast.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Ok...I agree with those who feel like this is more of a target bow than a hunting bow....metal riser, adjustable rest, adjustable tiller and weight.  But.......... so what.

I just ordered a 66" bow, 21" riser and wood limbs. Nothing like checking one out for oneself  8-)
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©