3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Flatlander looking for Elk Hunting Mentor/Partner  (Read 633 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Flatlander looking for Elk Hunting Mentor/Partner
« on: February 11, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
I've been wanting to do this for several years and have kept putting it off. I turned 50 years old last September and ain't getting any younger. I am a complete "rookie" and know absolutely nothing about hunting the wapiti except that the better (cardio) shape that I am in the more enjoyable the hunt will be for me. I currently own no camping gear, but should be able to pick up the bare necessities.

What I am looking for is someone with some elk hunting experience to take a greenhorn under their belt and teach them how to get close to and perhaps even have an opportunity at an elk either this year (2011) or next year (2012). I don't expect anyone to take me into their honey-holes or tie one to a tree for me, I am more than willing to do my part. I am not a hard person to get along with, nor do I have unreasonable expectations. I am just an "eastern guy" that has longed to experience a "western hunt" for a very long time. I don't have much to offer, except some company and conversation around the campfire.

If there is anyone, in a "over the counter" state that would be willing to take on a "flat-lander" and allow me to experience an elk hunt, it would be very much appreciated and I would be eternally grateful.

I have researched this and looked at guides in various states and the "cost" is the inhibiting factor for me. Most likely I would have to fly, due to time and the cost of gasoline and with the costs of license, tags and an outfitter it is just not within my reach. So if there is anyone that has some experience hunting elk would like to take me and show me the beautiful country and ways of the wapiti, I'm all ears.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flatlander looking for Elk Hunting Mentor/Partner
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Man I am a flatlander too but I have done 11 elk hunts in 15 years. I have made almost every mistake known to man but managed to kill a few elk. PM me, I'll share what I know!
Mike Davenport

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
I don't know if PAPA BEAR is doing the Trad Gang elk hunt in Oregon this year, but if he is, I'd jump on the chance to go.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Mike........PM sent

slivrslingr, I have put my name in EVERY year that PAPA BEAR has offered that hunt. There isn't a doubt in my mind that it would be the hunt of a lifetime for me.

Winterhawk1960

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Was just about to do the sane thing myself. I'm 60 but in reasonable good shape all my life. Daily workouts. Should have plenty saved by June for a good 10 day elk hunt.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
straitera,

I'm facing a rotator cuff surgery on the 17th of this month. I figure that doing the physical therapy and following the docs recommendations that I should be back to shooting long before September......God willing. I can tell you this, I don't think that there is ANY other site that I would want to put this same request up on to go and spend that much time with someone that I had never met face to face with before.

Winterhawk1960

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Don,
Come on out to Montana. If you can get a tag (I'll have to check on the out of state regs), I'll take you out. I'll take some vacation and go on a hunt. I have all the camp gear we should need and just turned 50 last year myself. I'm not a pro outfitter, but we'll have a good time and see either elk, wolves or lions and like I said, have a good time. Two semi-old farts looking for elk. I'll be out there with or without you, so the company would be welcome around the campfire. Let me know if it looks doable on your end and I'll try to do some research on my end to see if it's possible.
Ron Bruce
Montana
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Ron,

That sounds like the deal that I have been looking for. PLEASE do a little research and see if it would be possible for a non-resident to hunt. I would be deeply honored to spend some time with you "looking for some elk". There isn't a doubt in my mind that we would have a GREAT time and I very much appreciate the offer.

Get back to me......and hopefully things will work out.

Winterhawk1960

Offline Purehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Winterhawk1960,
Like elkchaser, I'm not a pro but will hunting elk in Colorado this Sept. I'll be hunting solo anyway, but if that is something you would like or can afford to do, pm me and we can talk.

PS
It is an over the counter area.

Craig
Hunt it, kill it, grill it!

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Purehunter, maybe I need to come down to Colorado and we all hunt elk.

Winterhawk, I'll definitely do some research. I've always just bought my tags and went hunting, but I'll do some research and see what is available for an out of state hunter and let you know.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Sounds like a plan.......  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Guys: Don and Ron, I work where we sell Montana Licenses ( The Fort in Big Timber ). All non-res licenses must be applied for by March 15 for any Draw on Elk, which is a Conservation, Deer, Elk, Upland Bird, fishing, HAEF (hunter access Fees). We no longer have any Outfitter sponsored tags which were a guarantied combo ($1250.00), voted out last year. Let me Know if you need any help.

Don
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Don,

Thank-You for chiming in........PM sent.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Winterhawk1960, im a 1960 model too, i also turned 50 in aguest.Been hunting elk for 4 years in 3 diffrent states.First year in utah i shot a spike bull, last year a nice 6x6 bull in oregon. Very addicting, hope you get a chance to hook up with someone and go. Im just getting into it myself and hooked up with three really good guys. Keep us posted.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
Sounds like a bunch of us 50 year olders need to get together and have an ***(old) foggy's (not spelled right) hunt someplace.

Thanks for the input Don. I knew Montana had changed it's out of state regulations, but I really hadn't paid attention.
Better hurry up and apply Winterhawk. If you don't draw, you can always be my camp cook and chief meat packer    :biglaugh:

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
Don, I've communicated with Larry (Papabear) number of times. Other friends in Oregon too. Rooseys in western area & Rockies elsewhere. Not too tall in elevation which suits me as I got pulmonary edema last time out high up. Fly to portland & car from there 80 miles. KY would be my 1st choice. Me & 50K others pay $10 to draw 200 tags. I'm pretty sure this is my year though. 80% going one of the 2 for sure. I'll send my number via PM.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Sounds like you've got a couple of good irons in the fire Don!  Gonna be a hard time sleeping tonight thinking about all the fun to come!  

I know very little about Montana tags. I think there are general areas that you need to apply for, and if successful on that draw you have the option of putting in for some limited draw trophy areas. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out once you know where you would be hunting.

Enjoy it all - planning is half the fun.  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Purehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Elkchaser,
You guys would be welcome.   :campfire:  

PS
I'm a '66 model.........
  :)
Hunt it, kill it, grill it!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Winterhawk, going to be 49 in a few months. My brother and I put together a DYI in Idaho 4 years ago. We had a great time. We made a lot of mistakes and it took us most of the week to really figure out what we were doing,  but by the end we both ended up with some close encounters and legitimate chances at sealing the deal. My brother also stumbled into a nice moose and I stumbled into a mama Grizz and her two cubs (that was interesting!) I am confident that if we went again we would be able to get into elk a lot sooner. I defintely hope to go again, as I see the years are adding up quickly. Not sure if it will be Idaho again, sounds like the wolfs have really done a number out there.
I'm obviously not a seasoned veteran after only one trip, but I definitley wouldn't mind putting together a trip with a fellow Tradganger some time.  If they have experience and can pass some of their knowledge on to me, even better.  
Winterhawk if your ever interested in putting togther a trip with another novice look me up.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Purehunter:
Elkchaser,
You guys would be welcome.    :campfire:  

PS
I'm a '66 model.........
   :)  
A spring chicken there Purehunter    :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©