3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why wood?  (Read 1216 times)

Offline D.T.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why wood?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
I agree with most there is just something about wood arrows. By far I've taken more game with carbon and aluminum. My journey into traditional archery began however with woodies so I'm going back to wood exclusively this next season. Well made wood arrows put where they belong are very effective!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
....?
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
if you hafta ask "why?", you'll never understand the need to fling wood.   ;)  
That's it Rob. I'd just add that you should live with some GOOD quality wood arrows and see how it goes. Sometimes experiencing something goes a lot longer in helping me understand it by explaining it with just words.   :thumbsup:    
I started out with aluminum, tried carbon, then I got into making my own woodies. I understood why wood.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
They aren't easier to break. Aluminum breaks and bends far easier from my experience. I put two off a concrete floor from 15 yards up and didn't even put a bend in them tonight.

Having to straighten them constantly is also a myth. If you buy decent shafts, heat straighten them, and check them as you apply finish, they'll stay straight. In fact, most are bent from being pulled out of targets carelessly.

I should point out that I shoot a 23/64 shaft, that may have something to do with it. I've also found that woods are way more forgiving. Matching them is key. I weigh matched sets again after purchase and batch them accordingly. I only take like batches to the range. I don't mix them.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline pergradus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
So you guys who make your own arrows, do you also make your own tips?

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 07:21:00 AM »
Why yes, we all do make our own tips. Right after we are done growing the trees to make the arrows, we mine the materails for the tips.   :rolleyes:
lll

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
What a great thread! Keep it coming.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
I shoot wood because I can.  
Shoot 6 woodies, then 6 of anything else.  If all is correctly tuned, I seriously doubt you will see any practical real difference in "downrange where it hits the target" accuracy at 20 yards or less.
Esthetics does it for me.  Additionally, wood seems to be a lot quieter than aluminum to me for the same weight arrow.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
'Cause I like em.   ;)
Silence is golden.

Offline sorefingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
Just getting started but I think it has to do with association  :bigsmyl:  So if you keep hangen arround you will also end up with some woodies in your quiver.
psalm 83:18

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Agreed...I thought all of you woods guys were elitist fools. lol A total naysayer. I bought a set to have a frame of reference and have been making my own ever since. Can't stand the feel of anything else.

Moral of the story - don't knockem till you try 'em.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
There are so many things can do with wood arrows, I have just started to make my own wood arrow from scratch started with 3/8 piece of Spruce and plane it down to 11/32. I love this Stuff
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
I started with carbons, they shot great, but something about wood arrows just intrigued me, so I bought 6 chondoo pine shafts made them up and tried them out of my longbows! I was hooked,  they shoot greatand are very forgiving,plus I love building them, as to toughness I have POC and Douglas fir both! I shoot inside once a week and outside when whether permits at 3D targets I havn't broke one yet and I have bounced them off a few trees etc!As to straightening, once they are built and finished that has not been an issue either!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
All three types will get the job done.  Aluminum and carbon are just arrows though, not much to talk about, just a piece of equipment we use to be archers. IMO, wood is not only an arrow but part of the maker.  It is a labor or love, a hobby, it helps me get through the winters here in PA, it shows personality and is always a topic of conversation among archers.  It becomes part of me, not just some piece of equipment I use.  It just seems like the right thing to do with a wooden bow.  I would also like to make my own bows someday.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Grey Taylor:
I can make a wood arrow beautiful, something I'm proud to shoot and show off.
A carbon or aluminum arrow will never be more than a carbon or aluminum arrow.

Guy
exactly
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
I build and shoot all three but, like wood the best. Plus, they look good in the "trophy" pictures.

Offline TWarrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
shooting a nice set of woodies is just beautiful. And in the end IMO you feel like you did something that not everyone can do..But thats just IMHO.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
it's natural preriod. And nothing beats long strong wood.   :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
If you shoot a lighter poundage bow the carbons can be tuned to shoot well. But I just can't make myself like 4" of shaft hanging out front. And I end up with what I think is way too many grains per pound of bow weight. Long before I thought about FOC or XFOC I killed lots of critters with plain ol' POC. And they were not even tapered. I'm going back to woods and plain two blade broadheads that don't weight a bunch with a 100 gr. insert.
Colburn

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
There are, of course, several good metal alloys that can be used to make arrows which fly beautifly and are quite durable. Many archers say these shafts of metal are superior to those made of wood, and - to be very frank - I think perhaps they are right, but so far I have stayed with wooden shafts. Somehow, I feel that arrows of wood are more in keeping with the real spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow; maybe that is a silly reason for shooting wooden arrows, but most of us archers are silly, one way or another. Call it sentiment if you like.
Howard Hill penned the above nearly 60 years ago. It is as true today as it was when it was written.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©