3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: why wood?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: why wood?
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Aluminum/Carbon = Science
Wood = Art....not only in making them look good, but in trying to perfect a naturally imperfect flying object.  When you have made a set of woods, and have gotten them to fly to your mark....well then, you've done something.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
Shooting carbon arrows out of a longbow is kind of like fishing with a nightcrawler on the end of a bamboo flyrod - It might be very effective, but something just doesn't seem right about it.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
Thanks for that, Rooselk. I'm with HH on this one. You can't get more involved in archery than when making your own wood arrows.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
They are quiet.I also like working with wood arrows.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
Thanks for that, Rooselk. I'm with HH on this one. You can't get more involved in archery than when making your own wood arrows.
I agree. To my mind traditional bowhunters making their own wood arrows is akin to flyfishers tying their own flies. It just seems to me to be a natural part of the sport.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline SveinD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
As stated wood is not as tough as carbon, so I choose carbon for economic purposes.
At least for outdoors shooting this is an apparent $-saver!
This is especially so if you reinforce the carbons with aluminum tubes front and back!

However, wood feels better to shoot (imo) and relates more to the trad of trad archery!

All that said, bamboo arrows are very hard to crack, and imo better than alum, and almost as good as carbon in durability! They look cool, retain the trad concept and offers a very durable self nock! Plus you can be even more Trad and grow them yourself  :p
Centaur 58" Glass XTL 40@28

~Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand~ Kurt Vonnegut

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
To my mind traditional bowhunters making their own wood arrows is akin to flyfishers tying their own flies. It just seems to me to be a natural part of the sport. [/QB]
Good comparison !
I also liked the Howard Hill quote.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
:coffee:  

An age old question but always a good one and one well answered here by all above.

Bows came into my life about around 1957. No one in my family had or or EVER had one to my knowledge....

From then on it was love at first skinned forearm!

I drove my parents mad when we DID go to town to buy MORE  19 cent hardware arrows for my all wood, warped, high school shop made recurve a neighbor didnt want. Arm guard? Glove or tab? I had no clue they existed. No mentor, no idea of what I was doing...except it was a part of me from day one. Perhaps sharing a birthdate with HH was my "curse" lol.

I was in my teens before I was able to hold in my hand a bow that wasnt homemade. You whipper-snappers give that some thought.   :biglaugh:  

Nothing was safe and mom always said she KNEW where Steven was at all times......out shooting his bow with Spot tagging along.

No better times were ever had by boy and companion out "hunting" sparrows and you name it!

Of course, wood was the ONLY option then and, for me, the "zing" of archery is solidly linked to those first years when life was so simple and fun.

Times have certainly changed for me as an aging adult.......but part of me remains in that young boy and his Fox Terrier cruising the fence rows and thickets, stalking and shooting.

Wood arrows were also part of my first "serious" archery sets and I think I hang onto the past as much as I am able.

With a 60s recurve in my hand and woodies on my back with age appropriate broadheads.....time has taken a turn back to a simplier time and they have yet to fail me.

Ive tried all the arrow matierials. Still shoot a few "new fangled" fiberglass ones too.   :)  

The deer just didnt seem to notice all the high tech statistics of the "new and improved" shafts.
Dead is dead as the saying goes and since it ain't broke.....no need to "fix" it.

With the high costs of our trad stuff today, one of my thrills, that remains a thrill every year, is an old used recurve and 30-40 yr old arrows and heads that I dont have 100 bucks in all together.....successfully doing today, what they did "back then"...and doing so just as well.

My "quest", odd though it may be, is to find as many 1952 items as I can afford (aka CHEAP) and take ye olde wiley whitetail with the set up from the year I came kicking and screaming into this vail of tears.

Size be danged....a trophy that will be...for me.

Additionally? A broadhead on an arrow should LOOK LIKE a broadhead on an arrow. Tough to explain.
Wood, feathers and a two NON moving blades are mandatory to me........or it isn't TRULY an "arrow".

I fell in love with a certain way, believe in it and it has proven time and again worthy of such dedication.

To me, it is not mearly a question of THEIR "worth" but more so if we, ourselves, are worthy of using them as those that have gone before us.

Sorry......windy old coot anyway.

God bless
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
SlowBowke, well said.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Yeah, I could never have said it that well, or typed that much!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Wood connects us back to the earth in a way that carbon fiber and aluminum can't. (Yes, I know all the materials come from the earth technically) That said, I shoot tonkin cane shafts.
  :archer2:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
Douglas fir is tougher than carbon, at least when hitting heavy bones or when stump-shooting termite mounds.

Also, they are accurate enough for minute-of-milk bottle shooting.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Amen, Steve, and beautifully written sentiment! Thanks!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline term

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
SlowBowke,WELL SAID thanks
Still looking for something I might of forgot.

Offline caleb0100

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Because it feels better. And because no wooden arrow can ever be perfect, just like me.

Offline stykbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2011, 01:39:00 AM »
Slowbowke said most of it. Same reason I shoot 2 blades and sharpen with a file. Wood is art, "OLD SCHOOL" and I'm too old to change. It also is an excuse when I MISS! But they look purrty!
Other things being equal, it is the man who
shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark.
                 Saxon Pope
For an Archer, to release an arrow is to release a part
of himself.
Fred Bear

Offline barredfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2011, 05:37:00 AM »
SlowBowke, as I read your reply, it took me back to my youth in the late 50's and 60's....hauntingly similiar. Only thing to add is wood has life.

Jerry

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2011, 05:49:00 AM »
I love the look and "feel" of wood arrows. I can group my wood arrows 6" or less at 20 yards when I am faithful to practice. Carbon or aluminum might shoot a little better than that, but the deer wont notice the difference If I have only a marginal shot, I would rather just let them walk, knowing that I got close enough is a reward in itself

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
wood have a soul. I do shoot carbons as well.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Who or what company makes the best wooden arrows?
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©