3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hooked for life  (Read 695 times)

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hooked for life
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Twenty-two years ago I put a pendulum tree stand sight on my compound. To my horror, I found out I no longer had to practice any more. The joy of archery was gone. My brother-in-law came along and sold me a 67½ SK for $25 and I have been hooked ever since. God willing I can get another 22 years, but that will put me at 80.

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Even when I shot a compound and I would see a picture of someone's harvest, I always looked close to see if it was a trad harvest...I didn't even know why...when I made my own trad harvest, there was simply no joy in anything else.
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 07:01:00 AM »
I can't remember the exact year but we had our 1st ever TV in our home.
One Saturday afternoon a movie came on starring Errol Flynn "Robin Hood" and I've been hooked ever since that afternoon even though at that point in time I'd never held a bow in my hand.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
For me it was chasing those cottontails around the farm and finding out none of them were safe, but got in real deep when that first arrow flew true at a mulie buck back in 76 with my old browning recurve. Seeing that buck at 15 yards and his side turn red and him toppling after going 10 yards in the foot deep snow, wow can see it still today !!
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
When I was 6,I was given a small fiberglass bow and some cedar arrows and was flinging them across the field and at the bullfrogs around the pond in no time.Archery just seems a part of life and it interests and fascinates me now just as much as it did then.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
I was in wal-mart several years ago, and saw a copy of TBM. Picked it up, and the first thing I turned to was an advertisement for Black Widow. My first reaction was "WOW"! I continued shooting my wheeled contraption's, until my neighbor let me borrow an old Wing. After shooting that for a few weeks, it was game over for the compound. I sold it and bought my first and very own recurve. I will never go back, my love for this grows deeper every day! Plus you guy's and this site don't help any either!  :D  Jason

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
I have alway's loved traditional archery just never took the plunge, until last year while shooting the wheel bow, decieded i wanted more of a challange bought a Browning Nomad learned the basics on that bow and now im not lookin back, going traditional all the way.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
When I was 5 or 6 years old my dad took me hunting with him. I watched him shoot a doe and he taught me how do blood trail her. When we found her I knew then I was hooked.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Grew up guns in hand...  My Dad was a big time bird hunter.  Grouse and woodcock.. everything else was a "trash duck".  He deer hunted just to spend time with friends...  I killed my first deer in NJ with a gun in 1959...

Somehow, two guys I went to school with started shooting bows in about 1960 or so.  The first time I shot one of their bows I was hooked...  I bought two bows and then, in 1969 while in college, I got a Black Super Kodiak and a Super Mag 48.  

Killed my first archery deer here in Illinois that year with the SK... Like others here I shot wheels for a bit but returned to the stick and string.  It was over..... My how many things have changed since those days in 1960... We started with wood arrows, then, well ya all know the rest....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
For me it was my first good archery only year. I had taken one black bear years earlier. But in the fall of 1999 I took a Stone Sheep, Blacktail Deer and my first Moose, all at very close range. Since then I have rarely taken my firearms out of the safe. Poor firearms.

Offline Two Wolves

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Hunting? As a child, hearing all of the "campfire" stories from my grandpa about his hunts and then finally getting to hunt with him.
Trad? Bit of a historical romantic. I have a small amount of indian blood in me and have always wanted to make the transition. Our trip to LBL this past December, listening to Ishoot4thrills talk passionately about his bow and past bows just stoked the fire. Ky Double Lung and I kept throwing the idea around and he bought him a long bow. Then my grandfather died. It just seemed like the right time to do it. I sold my wheel bow and sit her now waiting for my new longbow to arrive. My grandpa never too a deer with a bow. He hunted with a Remington model 760 (pump) 30-06, with open sights which I inherited from him. From this point forward I will hunt with trad gear except during gun season when I will carry that 30-06 in his honor.
Striker Stinger
58" 50#@28

There is a cabin full of dreams in the backwoods of my mind.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
1962 shooting in my grandpa's backyard with a bear red fiberglass bow,It took me until 1974 To get my first deer in IN. Been chasing whitetail ever since.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©