3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve versus Longbow  (Read 555 times)

Offline Enumclawarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve versus Longbow
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Hellow guys, this is my first time here so be gentle. I am a long time compound shooter looking to transition to traditional archery and was looking for a new forum that more closely fits my new passion. So here I am. Although I have many questions my first would be what are the differences I should look at when deciding between a long bow and a recurve. My primary activities with the bow will be recreational target/3-D.
Thanks,  :archer2:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve versus Longbow
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
A recurve will be the closet to a compound (Handle) 45-50 draw weight at Your draw length. A good T/D will be a good bet because You can get lighter or heavier limbs as Your form gets better You can up the draw weight.

Look in the Classifieds and try and look for IFL bow. This will help in getting different weight limbs for it.

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
mysticguido's advice is sound.  I may the switch awhile back and followed that advice.  My one other comment would be is that if possible, go to a traditional show and shoot as many different bows you can.  Each bow even from the same maker will feel different but even more so than when comparing compounds.  Different wood combinations used, different grip styles and other things really stand out with the traditional stuff vs. the mass produced compounds.

Offline cyred4d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Good advice there. I second going to a trad event and try as many as you can. What I like you may not.

Offline jim/wa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
there is a trad shoot  in enumclaw  feb 19at flint tip archers

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Try shooting both if you can to see what you like.When I switched many years ago I wanted to shoot longbows,so I started with them and have always preferred longbows.Personal preference for me,I do have a couple of vintage recurves I play around with.But for me longbows are my favorite to shoot!

Offline Enumclawarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
Thanks Jim, Thats in my backyard. Is there a place where they post trad show dates/time in WA?

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
Welcome!
Find as many bows to shoot as possible before making a purchase. One man's classified fodder is another man's Holy Grail. Use the search function..a gold mine.

For me, it came down to observing basic guidelines and finding a GRIP that felt like it made the bow an extension of my arm. Can't say I've found the HG yet but my LC is pretty darn close.

You'll find that any trad guys you can hook up with are very willing to put their prized bow in your hands for a test run. Very amicable bunch.

Lots of other more qualified guys and gals will chime in with good advice, I'm sure.

All I know is once you go trad, there's no going back to the gadget world!
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
MystG makes a very good point if you like recurves. You did say for 3-d mostly which could limit to one bow. Trouble is, we all know that's not possible. Visit as many as you can before dropping the bling. LB's only here for a good while after years w/recurves.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Enumclawarcher:
Thanks Jim, Thats in my backyard. Is there a place where they post trad show dates/time in WA?
If you go to forum home here and then scroll down to the "State Trad Bowhunting Orgs" you will see one listed for WA state. You might check that and also post there asking about WA events.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by Enumclawarcher:
Go to the Traditional Bowhunters of Washington website:

http://www.tbwonline.org/

The dates and locations of the various trad shoots can be found there.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »
Enumclawarcher,

Yes check out the Washington forum on this site and come to the shoots at Flinttip and other places.  Many people there who are more then willing to help you and let you shoot their bows.  

Pretty soon you will be addicted like the rest of us.    :archer2:
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
welcome to trad, pilgrim.  :wavey:

you may find benefit in clicking on the 'new to trad archery?' link in my sig line.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
Enumclaw archer:  come on over to the Traditional Bowhunters of WA Moses Lake "Rock Shoot" in April. It's a lot of fun and there are tons of bows there, some at dealers and many just for sale in the shooter's camps.  I'm sure many of the folks would be happy to let you take some shots with their bows and to point out why they chose that particular one.  

Welcome!
Tom

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
All good answers here; but back to your original question.  A recurve will make the transition a little easier, and in most cases, is easier to shoot well than a longbow.  Just to add a little confusion to the choice, there really are two kinds of "longbows"; the more traditional straight limb and straight handle "Hill" type, and a more contemporary shorter RD (reflex-deflex) type with a handle that shoots more like a recurve than the traditional longbow.

All that said, for TARGET shooting, I'd suggest something more along the lines of a 40# recurve to start out.  You can find a decent one at auction for $100 - $200 to start.  The big advantage of that 40# bow is you can focus on developing your form without having to spend a lot of time developing the strength to come to full draw and shoot as many arrows as you do shooting targets.  If you decide to stick with it, you'll have a little experience to help decide what you want in your next bow.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Al33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
More sound advice I cannot give than has already been given, but I will warn you now, chances are good after you do select your first trad bow, re-curve or longbow, it will not be long before you have several of both. You will also find yourself going to the classifieds forum first when signing on here.   :D

Offline Enumclawarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, oldbohntr I am looking forward to the Rock Shoot sounds fun..

I am looking forward to my first longbow..

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
Where are you located in Washington? I'm just south of Portland Oregon about 30 minutes. you are more that welcome to come by my shop any time. i can let you shoot a bunch of different designs in both recurve and long bows, and share a few must go to shoots coming up around our area...  Kirk

Offline Enumclawarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Thanks Kirk. I am by Seattle I would love to come by your shop next time i'm down there.
I shot this weekend with my son.(compound)Can't wait till this weekend to go to the Frozen Fletch and hopfully get to play around with a long bow or two.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
I would reinforce trying as may options as you can at shops, shoots, and other trad events.  All I would add to what has been said is to take a look at the metal ILF riser options.  That would be real close to a compound, allow you to try different grips and limbs.  It would also allow some draw weight adjustments so you could start out lower in draw weight and still get some extra weight without a limb change.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©