3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Owl Bow conclusion-please tell me I'm nuts  (Read 587 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
My Owl Bow conclusion-please tell me I'm nuts
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
After spending the last week shooting all of my bows, I've come to the clear conclusion that I shoot my 2 Owl Bows far better than any other bows I own or have shot, ever, including all bows I've shot at K-Zoo shows and Compton's.

In fact, I can't shoot them badly, regardless of flaws in form. I draw them and they "point" exactly where they are supposed to go.

Here's the "nuts" part. Other than keeping 2 lower poundage Mojosticks for practice and some hunting, I'm so convinced about how well I shoot Ed Scott's Owl Bows, that I'm seriously considering selling all of my other lam bows and carbon arrow collection and ordering another couple Owl's.

Please, someone tell me I'm nuts.

But considering their "work of art" quality and how well I shoot them, combined with their ultra quiet quality, I'm not sure you can.

Am I nuts for going "all Owl all the time"? I don't think so.

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Owl Bow conclusion-please tell me I'm nuts
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
My Owl bow is the same . It shoots where I

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
sorry bout that . my Owl shoots where I look all the time. I think its all in the riser the way we hold the bow . I luv mine . I'm a little dis pleased in the finish and cant believe I am the only one that has problems with my bow but it shoots great and it is a work of art . I don't think your nuts at all I would love to order another but who would want our other bows?

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by wahoo:
sorry bout that . my Owl shoots where I look all the time. I think its all in the riser the way we hold the bow . I luv mine . I'm a little dis pleased in the finish and cant believe I am the only one that has problems with my bow but it shoots great and it is a work of art . I don't think your nuts at all I would love to order another but who would want our other bows?
Are you guys talkin' about the Hill longbow "owl"?? ....and what exactly is the problem with the finish?

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 05:16:00 AM »
Tony,No not the Hill.Ed Scotts Owl bows are top shooters. Wahoo,If I remember right he uses some kind of finish that is meant to be easily re-applied by the owner. Much like a tru-oil or some such thing.It is about ease of maintenance. Call Ed and he will set you up with the skinny.
Mojo,Shoot what works man. If we all found a good bow and stuck with it,we would scare ourselves I am sure.And kill more stuff for eating.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »
There is nothing nuts about wanting to shoot your best and thats what the Owl bows do for you. Never shot one or had one in my hands but will be the first to say if your confident with that bow its not a fluke, it fits you and your style of shooting! I think your nuts if you don't get another, cant ever have enough bows can ya!!

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
Correct, Ed Scott bows. Specifically his sinew backed "Hunting" bow.

http://www.edscott.us/galleries/sinew_backed_bows

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
You're nuts.

You're Welcome
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
Like has been mentioned, sounds like you are dialed in.

And thanks for the link to pictures.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
Makes sense to me.  I got a sinew backed white oak Owl and LOVE it.  Shoots hard, right where I look, and is the quietest bow I have.  He really knows how to tease a bow out of a piece of wood.  I can make em shoot, but nothing like his.   I'd like to get down there for a week for the one-on-one classes he offers.  Dunno when to do it though.
Silence is golden.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
Good stuff! Who said guys don't like a good love story?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Check out the video links, if you haven't seen them. There's 3 video's.

http://www.edscott.us/

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
I think swamp yankee is probably right. LOL

I think a better idea is I'm going to sell 2 lam bows and get 1 more Owl.   :)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 08:17:00 AM »
Well why not, shoot what works not what name is on the bow.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Ed is a one of a kind man that doesn't make two bows alike. I've got three of his bows.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Ron,

I have 2 of his wider limbed bows in 62" and 64", per Ed's suggestion. Ed also suggested that I try one his longer "longbows" like the one pictured on the far left. Have you shot one of those?

I may just order one sight unseen, since I know it'll be sweet anyway.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Being left handed I haven't shot a lot of Eds bows. Having said that I haven't shot one I didn't like. What I do like about the Owl bows is that Ed lines the string over into the riser so unlike many other primitive style bows they're almost center shot. This makes it easy to go from center shot laminated glass bows to a primitive bow without a line problem.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
You are not nuts.  Ed makes a fine bow.  I agree with you.  If the shoe fits wear it.  I have wanted one of his bows for a long time.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Ron,

Perhaps you or someone else can explain this for me.

With recurves and R/D longbows, I get more than the occasional "flyer" arrow. If a 4 shot group at 15 yards, I'll get 3 really good ones, then one that's a often 8-12" high or right/left.

But with the Owls, that doesn't seem to happen.

My theory is, I assume that with the recurves and R/D bows, my form falls apart with the flyers and I either short draw or pluck or something else wrong, and all the "gas" in the limbs, for lack of a better term, magnifies the problem.

But the gentleness of the Owls softens my form mistakes.

Does this theory make any sense or is it all in my head and the Owls I have just fit me better?

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
I love that photo of Ed with his pipe . That could be any where USA . I do love my Owl and Ron is right he makes his bows so they are so center shot that I am able to just pick that bow up and shoot it, more so than any other I own. My bow has some kind of poly finish on it I am thinking and in spots it is flaking off. I just wax it and keep shooting.Great bow some day I would sure like another

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©