3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: rick welch students  (Read 590 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
rick welch students
« on: February 12, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
i am really fascinated with ricks shooting methods- and have the dvd- however i need clarification on the fletching setup-
could someone post some pics of some fletching done his way-
1.arrow nocked on the string, and
2.fletch on the nose at full draw- make em reasonable close ups- i really need to get a handle on this, - maybe some side views and from the nock as well.
i am going to be attending one of his clinics, and i really wanna make the change now, rather than later!!

in advance, much gratitude
yours
wayne

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: rick welch students
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
I have never been to Rick's school but I have spoken to him on the phone a number of times about it. Make sure you take some bare shafts with you as he will help set them up just the way you need right there and you'll be shooting them before you leave.

Would love to hear how your trip goes when you get back.

Good luck.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
Same here, been thinking on looking into his school myself.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
I'm planning on doing his school this spring/summer myself. I bought the Accuracy Factory & have worked on changing. Shooting better & can't wait to have a hands in to really get it down correctly. Hope all goes well with your trip there.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
I will try to post some later.  Take bare shafts or put it in your mind you're willing to buy some from the shop there.

I walked out with 1/2 doz new GT 3555's that he set up.  We played with the fletch while there moving it once or twice to get it in the right spot, and we played with tip wieght as I recall to affect spine.

You need to first consistently anchor, then have someone measure where the tip of your nose is so you know where to put the fletch.  He uses shield cut LW (if your are right handed, RW for lefties) and the cock feather is perpendicular to the shelf facing out.

He is a fabulous one on one instructor.  Go with an open mind.  Although he's going to focus on his method and has boundaries he teaches within he has an open mind when working with you as well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
While not a former student, I am avid follower of his. I took some fletched arrows and gradually trimmed the cock fletch back while at the two soft anchors per Rick's method. There were several different arrow cut backs that were further evaluated in an attempt to nail it down. This process for me took several shooting sessions and was validated by having consistant straight shots. I ended up deciding that 2.0" from the knock throat was optimum. Shot 2.0" fletched arrows for three weeks and after becoming more accustomed to Rick's technique, I found I needed a little more taken off. I have been at 2.1" for quite some time and am quite comfortable.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
thanks guys- are ya'll using the martin fletcher, or would the bitz work ok.
dont mind buying the martin if thats what i need, its just that goodies take a little longer to get to us here on this island off the coast of cunuckopia.
and i have a new left bitz.
thanks
wayne

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
-if your converting to his way of anchoring, then your first knuckle of your thumb has to be anchored at your ear lobe. Then turn your head a bit and touch your nose to your feather (shield feathers). Lock it down. Don't look down the shaft...concentrate on your little spot, hold to get steady, and use a subconscious release (easier said than done). Don't move your string arm elbow at the shot. It take practice, but when you get it, man, does it work.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
Actually for me (and several others I have learned) he moved the location from the ear lobe to a slightly different spot.  I think it depends on facial structure, where your hand is when you hit the appropriate back tension for anchor, and your natural sight.  I think he always has folks start at the ear lobe as it seems to be the most common spot when using his method.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
OK, so the cock feather is horizontal to a true vertical plane... with the back touching the tip of your nose...  and your anchor is placed by locating the first knuckle of your thumb at your ear lobe...  Right???

Better get this right or this big nose of mine might be stung....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Been there, done that.
That's my penalty for improper back tension.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I may be wrong, but have shot with rick a bit and hunted some too. I use the cock feather on my nose , and its at about 10:30 on the clock. Ricks may be closer to 9 but I think when I shot his bow with his arrows, they were perfect for me. DB
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Don

He kept saying 9:45 when he was helping me. Maybe thats when breakfast was served.(LOL)

Rick will guide you to better shootin. Take his class. You want regret it.

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
When you guys say "first knuckle", which one is that?  The one next to the nail or the hand?

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 05:11:00 AM »
Nail.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Ricks videos are great, but it is hard to see exactly what he his doing when he anchors.  I took lessons from him back in 2006 and still use his style of shooting to this day.  For me, I have the fletching placed around 2 inches forward from the very back of the nock.  It will not be the same for everyone. The fletching that contacts my nose it at the 9:00 position for me.  
   When I anchor, I put the lenght of thumb from first and second nuckle on my ear lobe.  I'm not using just one knuckle, but rather that lengh of thumb between both nuckles.  When the fletching is touching my nose, I am at full draw.  Works pretty well for me.

Offline Foxtail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
Wayne- I think I can help you with this- spent a couple days with Rick this summer at a course he gave here in Ontario. Great guy! And he helped me considerably.

Rick seeks for three anchor points- the feather on the nose, the first thumb knuckle on the bottom of the earlobe, and your first finger gripped around the string just under your cheek bone. [This assumes 3 under, of course.]

Here's a couple pics showing the three anchors. [Note that I am gripping the string with 4 fingers, only because I do not have my glove on.]

One other thing that needs to be considered is that to accomodate the feather on the nose, you will likely need to refletch your feathers further down the shaft in order to properly set this anchor. When I came home from my course, I set about stripping the fletching from all of my arrows, in order to refletch them in the new position. Here's a shot of one of them.

I naturally achored in what some would call this 'high' position, and shot 3 under- so this came easily to me. If you are shooting split, and lower- then it will be more of and adjustment. But this position feels very comfortable, allows one to better feel the back muscles, and also [generally] allows for a slightly longer draw. So you might even have to change the length of your arrow to properly set up for his approach.

The other main point that he makes is to 'trust your bow arm'. Again, this took some effort to put my 'trust' in where I was concentrating, and to not 'aim'- but it sure worked. My accuracy definitely improved.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
thanks all for all the feedback.
thanks fox for the pics- exactly what i needed. the changeover has been a considerable thing for me.
1.i have changed from split to 3 under
2. had to get longer shafts to allow for my new drawlength- it increased by an inch and a half
3.got a new fletcher and feathers.
4. and the easiest and most fun part- tons and tons of practice already- but will start refletching today.

thanks once again to all
best
wayne

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Ceme24
Do u know why they use left wing on right hand shooters and vise versa?
Tommy
-just add effort.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Ya..whats up with the Fletching?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©