3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: rick welch students  (Read 591 times)

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: rick welch students
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Foxtail's photos are excellent to show why you'd want LW on a right handed shooter.  The tip of a LW fletch will angle up toward your nose allowing you to hit the tip of the nose easier.  

On a RH shooter a RW fletch will angle down away from your nose making it more difficult to hit the tip of your nose which could cause you to dropping your head too much in toward the arrow.

Foxtail also brings up a critical point - trust your bow arm.  If I had a nickel for every time Rick told me that I may have gotten my course for free!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline DBinAlamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Will a 5" shield cut be a good choice of feather?
A&H ACS 64" 50#@28" 3DH Riser.
Strive for excellence....  Not perfection.
"If your not working hard, someone else is" Dentler.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
BBinAlamo-

1. If shooting a short Brace Ht. then the fletch may be contacting the riser with the arrow nocked.

2. Possibly if shooting normal FOC and a wide BH the abililty to correct flight is diminished and possibly visible due to moving the fletch further from the knock. Personally, I have not experienced this issue since my set-ups are geared for maximum FOC. I have yet to hear of anyone having issues with the 4".
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline DBinAlamo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Friend, I shoot 200+ up front and usually woodsman elites for bhs. Do you think 4" feather is enough?  DB
A&H ACS 64" 50#@28" 3DH Riser.
Strive for excellence....  Not perfection.
"If your not working hard, someone else is" Dentler.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 12:44:00 AM »
I shoot a 530gr arrow "Beman bone collector" w. 100 grain insert and 145grain tip, 245 up front with 4 inch shield back -Its plenty of fletch just make sure your bareshaft group well with your fletched or just right of your fletched -fletching will stiffen up your arrow.
-just add effort.

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
Thanks ceme24 that was my guess just wasnt sure about the LW fletching on right hand shooter.
-just add effort.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
so much info there.
thanks
much appreciated

Online wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
BBinAlamo-

Take note that what works for one may not for another. There are many variables. If your bare shafts, fletched shafts and fletched shafts with BH's are on mark, you should be in great shape.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline tawmio

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
very true friend. also i noticed when you r close to perfect on your tuning you can try to turn down your helical a bit. Too much helical will slow down an arrow, with a good tuned arrow you whont need hardly any helical at all.
Tommy
-just add effort.

Offline lucky strike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
I Just saw the video-I went ahead and tried Welch's style and must admit it works well.
He keeps stressing HOLD, HOLD and then the release will be automatic.That's fine for a Deer or bear posing to be shot. What do you do with speed shots tha thappen all to often??
Other than that ,I shoot a bow with  46# @ my draw
and can hold easily for a really long time without
any automatic release.Am I to assume that the poundage has to be high enough that one can't hold at draw for more than 2 sconds or so in order to have the string automatically rip loose?
LS

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
Lucky Strike said...
"Am I to assume that the poundage has to be high enough that one can't hold at draw for more than 2 sconds or so in order to have the string automatically rip loose?"

No, it has nothing to do with draw wt, but is part of the "trust your bow arm" thing as it becomes INSTINCTIVE or an "unconscious release" when your brain tells your hand to release the string because the bow arm is pointed at the target.  The release just "happens" unconsciously, kind of like "being in the zone" and unlike consciously pulling a trigger to shoot.
CoilSpring

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
I also ordered the video....Im seriosly considering a couple days at his school this summer.
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I took Ricks class last November. I think what he is trying to do when he shoots on the video is to show you exactly what to do to get accustomed to shooting this way. He also has his students do this to ingrain it into their routine. When you see him shoot in person, he does not hold like that. As he told me he has been doing it for a long time. He throws up and shoots pretty fast and hits exactly where he is looking and I mean some long shots to. I could not believe my eyes. If you get a chance, it may be well worth the money to go to his school. You will be surprised at what you will come away with.

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
It is really interesting. I took his class 2 years ago and it is my standard method of shooting now (I went as a split finger shooter). He has been doing it a long time. Just the other day I decided to take a look at his first video (only 20 minutes long!) and made in the mid-90's. All the elements are there on the first video except the knuckle to the ear lobe. It is not a great video in the context of the next 2 he has done but with hindsight and the experience of attending his school you can see he figured this out a long time ago. As far as shooting fast, once you get the system down and consistently have good form and the consistent anchor, then shoot as fast as you need to for the hunting situation. Don't see any difference from a split finger approach. The fundamentals are really similar.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©