3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 35lbs Enough for Turkey?  (Read 689 times)

Offline Swiper

• Trad Bowhunter
35lbs Enough for Turkey?
« on: February 12, 2011, 02:15:00 AM »
My ten year old son wants to go turkey hunting for the first time but refuses to use a shotgun! lol

He is pulling back 35lbs. Do you fellows believe this is enough poundage to make a clean kill on a mature bird?

He is very accurate out to 15 yards..

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 35lbs Enough for Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »
Close enough...get him out there and encourage him!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
Put a good sharp broadhead on and he'll do fine. Encourage him. At that age I was all about the kill and didn't care how it got done. Your son is way ahead of where most boys are his age.

Good for him!  :clapper:

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:18:00 AM »
x2 with the sharp broadhead and he won't have a problem. Awesome that he favors a bow over a scatter gun!
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline djohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:32:00 AM »
Two blade head,blind,decoy...no problem. Enjoy the moment together.
John 3:16

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
It will get the job done, but I'd recommend a head shot.  Here's why.  The head is almost large as the heart/lung kill zone on a turkey. Hit the turkey in the head with a broadhead and it's lights out.  Not necessarily so with a body shot.  Turkeys are relatively light animals, compared to a deer, for example.  When an arrow hits them, their bodies move with the impact, lessening the penetration of the arrow.  Also, their feathers have a cushioning effect, not to mention the ability of the large feather quills to considerably slow an arrow. A perfectly placed body shot will likely make it into the vitals and kill the bird, but with that weight bow, which probably means a pretty light arrow as well, I think a head shot increases your odds.  Good luck.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
I'm in 100% agreement with Orion.  That turkey's head will be quite alergic to your son's set-up!

From personal experience I recommend you and the youngster talk about shot placement.  

On my first bow-kill turkey I was fully intending to shoot the head. The shot was only 15 yards, if that far. But, at full-draw the head looked so small compared to the HUGE body (all those feathers) and I REALLY wanted that bird. So I shot for my secondary spot, just above the thigh which is better than the wing butt (larger vitals behind the thigh).

My story turned out fine, I killed the bird and he didn't go more than 15 yards or so. But, I'd stick with the head shot now.  While aiming at the head/neck can easily produce a miss and even a wound, I think the odds are better for a quick, clean kill or a complete miss than trying to imagine innard anatomy under all those feathers.  If he can be content with a clean kill or a clean miss, then he is LIGHT YEARS ahead of folks 4-6 times his age!

Somebody in your household is providing a mighty fine example ...good for ya!

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
35lbs will be plenty with a good sharp broadhead. let him get out there and chase some birds!
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
I think especially an arrow with a gobbler guiotine or probably better a Magnus Bullhead is the better choice. Although #35 is enough, I think the turkey head is like a small black spot on a target, even when you closely miss the spot the headshot broeadhead will give you a clean kill. If you hit the body solid, the feathers will probably just make the arrow bounce off. Feathers are like armour.
Build him a target, where he can train this shot.
A large black body, a whitish neck and a red head.As the neck I would use a rolled piece of paper and a small ball as the head. Best shot is right in the middle of the neck.
The paper roll can be replaced easily and cheaply and he will see the effect of his shots. Another part is giving him a narrative of events to force him to shoot at the right moment. Shot timing is one of the most overlooked training factors... Just my 2 cents..

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
My daughter will also be turkey hunting this spring with her bow and she wil be useing a Magnus Bullhead. I'm hopeing for a dead bird or a clean miss.

doug77

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
Like the part about that he refuses to use the shotgun!Those ol toms dont have achance against that boy.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
Ideal no, but I think with a nice close shot and a well tuned arrow of good weight for his set-up, and a good 2 bl. head he'll do just fine...just stay off the wing butt!

As for a "bullhead" type head...I've seen enough evidence on videos and stories posted here that they don't work very well at all with lightweight bows(in the 40's).  I'd stay away from those with such a light set-up.

Shots to the back will do the trick!

Good luck!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
I agree with Guru and .....Biggie. RC

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
I agree with RC .. :) .      go for it.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Take your dekes.

My son took his second shot of the day last spring and zipped thru my DSD with his WW. If he hadn't of scored and 1 1/2 hrs later he would have still had a nice trophy.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Yes
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I agree take him! :-)  I would normally recommend a large 3 blade, with the light poundage a good sharp 2bl would do the best job for you.  I also agree with Guru I like a good body shot over aiming for the head, it just moves a lot.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
I think it's plenty. Give those turkeys heck!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
Your son is very etic and wise!Good luck on your hunt!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
Use a string tracker.  Put your decoys out at 15 yds and you'll get a 20 yd shot.  Put 'em at 10 and you get a 12 yarder.  I put one at 3 and another at 5.  I can hit a feather at 8 yds.
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©