3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ??? Reguarding True Oil and other Finish topics  (Read 566 times)

Offline CavScoutArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
??? Reguarding True Oil and other Finish topics
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:44:00 AM »
I have been doing some research on here and have a couple of quesions that are still unanswered and I can't think of a better group of gents to ask.
When refinishing a bow with True-oil, I read that it comes out close to a factory bear finish when its all said and done. Does true oil after several coats have a clear, hard finish or does it just water proof the wood leaving the wood more soft to the touch than say a poly or epoxy wipe?  
Also is the true-oil all that is required if I go that route or is an additional poly or expoy spray needed ontop of that, Like min-wax?  Can they be used in conjunction?
Which finish out there will yeild results closest to the original bear finishes if the late 60's and early 70's?
Thats about all I have for now. If anyone could post a couple of pics of the finished products for a comparasion between a true-oil refinish and a poly wipe job that would be awesome.
Aaron
United States Army 2007-Current

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ??? Reguarding True Oil and other Finish topics
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
I've used TruOil, and it does a fantastic job.  Easy to apply, and if it needs a touch up later just wipe on another coat.  I haven't used the wipe on poly's for bows before, so can't give a comparison on those.  You might try asking the question in the History/Collectors forum - lots of great help available there.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Tru-Oil is Great just by it'self. From Gun Stock to Bows and Arrows... No need for anything else over it..

Offline William F. Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I've read one report that spraying polyurethane over true-oil created a gooey mess --- always test finishes on a scrap of material.

I really would like to see a list of what finishing techniques were used when by Bear.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
I've used Tru-oil on all my bows(self) for years. It makes a great finish. I usually add 4 to 6 coats with a buffing with 0000steel wool between coats. Tru-oil will give you a high gloss finish. For hunting bows I give a quick spray of satin poly over the Tru-Oil for a nice warm matt finish. For me, Tru-Oil is an excellent bow finish and is very easy to repair if needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 11:36:00 AM »
I have used it for years like the rest on here. My fav bow finish. Just wipe on another coat when you need to. Lots of bowyers use it too............Jay St Charles and John Strunk just to name two.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I have no idea what Bear used but I have used Tru-Oil on every bow I built since 1992 and I have some of the first ones hanging in my shop as good as new. The only problems I have had is it won't dry over some of the very oily exotic woods(cocobolo) and if I am hunting in the rain for several days it will start to feel rough where my wet hand has been on the riser. A quick steel wooling with #0000 wool and a coat of Tru-Oil and its as good as new. Same for a refinish on the whole bow if you want to. I like the gloss finish especially if I use pretty wood in the bow but if you want a dull finish for hunting you just steel wool(#0000) to the desired look.A good coat of paste wax a couple times a year and you are good to go.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
I do a couple of coats of the Massey epoxy finish and then finish with Tru -Oil over that. If a matte finish is wanted then I shoot a couple of light coats of Spar Var over that. I doubt that there is any finish better than that. If you get a harder finish it peels and cracks over time. Softer and it won't hold up. Key to Tru oil is letting it dry. Most people get in too big a hurry with it. The hurried finish looks good initially but over time it sinks in as the oil drys. Thin even coats and light sanding between coats makes a great finish,.

God Bless you , Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©