3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: LLBean Boot Ankle Biters - the fix is in ...  (Read 1846 times)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
LLBean Boot Ankle Biters - the fix is in ...
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
i have two pair of llbean boots - ya know, those classic bean hunting/fishing boots with rubber bottoms and leather tops.  these are uninsulated, for use during spring through early fall.  i've used the 8" pair quite a bit and they work just great for both traction and keeping yer feet dry in streams and mucky lowland swamp edges.  

HOWEVER, they have a serious construction design flaw.  the big seam where the leather uppers are sewn to the rubber bottoms chafes the heck outta most folk's ankles.  no number of socks or duct tape can ease the misery.  after last spring's hog hunt i was about to toss those suckers into the trash can.  glad i didn't.  i thought this issue over a whole bunch and even talked with llbean 'shoe product design consultants' and just couldn't come up with a fix ... 'til yesterday.

it was so obvious what needed to be done.  like not seeing the forest for the trees.

the boots ...

the problem (actual customer reviews) ...

"I love this boot but it doesn't love me! The lateral seam, where the rubberized bottom half of the boot is stitched to the leather top half creates a massive internal seam that chafes the ankles no matter how many pairs of socks you wear. Aside from that, this would be the perfect outdoor boot for anything from light hiking to hunting and fishing. Someone at Bean needs to rethink and redesign this boot's construction design pronto!"

"Same problem as other reviewer... the hard seam in the boot chafes my ankles. Very painful. The appearance of the boots is great, and I wish I could keep them, but they are too uncomfortable to keep wearing. This is a design flaw which LLBean should fix asap."

"I needed a boot for both rain and snow, so I got these thinking I could double up my socks in the winter and they'd serve both purposes. Unfortunately, I had the same problem a number of the other reviewers had: the seam where the rubber joins the leather leaves a tiny, unforgiving ridge on the inside of the boot. It must just affect certain gaits, and I'm unlucky enough to have a gait that rubs that ridge. And because the seam is rubber, it's not as if it will break in eventually. Too bad, because I really love the look of this boot. I spoke with a customer service person, and she indicated the version with a liner doesn't have the ridge, but those are basically twice the price, making it kind of a different purchase altogether in my mind. Anyway, great boot otherwise. I'm sorry to have to return them."

the ankle biter (left boot) ...

The fix - 5oz to 10oz weight (3/32" or so thick) leather strip, 8" to 9" long, 3" to 3-1/2" wide ...

Just insert one into each boot, no glue or tape needed, and no issue with getting yer foot into the boot, plenty of room as these boots are always oversized ...

this morning i took a 2.2 mile stroll in the fixed boots ... AH! SO MUCH BETTER!!  these boots are now keepers and are goin' hog huntin' in april!!!    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bobhat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: LLBean Boot Ankle Biters - the fix is in ...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
LOL,  I have to try this.   I've owned a pair for years and have always had to double up with thick socks to avoid the "bite".  You'd think LL Bean would do something the rectify this.   :banghead:
Toelke Whip
Assenheimer Hunter Deluxe
"We don't stop playing because we are old.  We are old because we stop playing."  Ben Franklin

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Guitars, flutes, longbows and arrows...now boots!!
Is there anything this guy cannot do?

Rob, I have owned a few pairs of 'em.  Always liked how light they were but could never wear them for several hours at a time..

:thumbsup:

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:36:00 AM »
Great idea. I have always just worn extra thick socks to avoid the ankle bite. Thanks for the tip, and yes, you would think LL Bean would have figured this out years ago!
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
I had a pair a few years back and I fixed mine by taking a new razor blade and slowly cut that leather on a slight angle.

It worked so good I walked the rubber soles off. If You try this remember go slow and cut small amounts till the "BITE" is gone.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Rob-- I came on that idea a few years ago and it works great-- the only thing I would add is that if you can find and use a piece of deerskin it is even more comfy. I glue in a thin strip just above the offending edge, then add a larger piece which covers all. Barge cement works best.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by huntryx:
Rob-- I came on that idea a few years ago and it works great-- the only thing I would add is that if you can find and use a piece of deerskin it is even more comfy. I glue in a thin strip just above the offending edge, then add a larger piece which covers all. Barge cement works best.
i tried exactly that, but all it does is 'soften' the seam and requires working inside the boot which is a major pain.  using that somewhat heavy leather strip insert totally covers the seam and no glue or tape is required.  just cut the leather strip to shape and slip it in.  try it.  total and complete walking comfort, guaranteed.  now, where's my llbean product development royalties?  :)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by mysticguido:
I had a pair a few years back and I fixed mine by taking a new razor blade and slowly cut that leather on a slight angle.

It worked so good I walked the rubber soles off. If You try this remember go slow and cut small amounts till the "BITE" is gone.
better thee than me, my friend!  working a blade inside that boot is not an easy thing to do!  no thank you, sir!  the leather strip fix is too easy and works to perfection.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »
Cool idea....

Guys that hunted with my Dad way years ago put two pieces of leather in from the bottom to the seam line and then from the seam line to the top. These were glued in. As I remember there was a "shoemaker" place in Closter that did this for them... (about 1960's or so)

I have used it on some and not seemed to need it on others.

Never thought about the problem.  Just figured everyone could fix it....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Rob, I started wearing Double Ls since my aunt turned me on to them back in the early 60s. They were her #1 fishing shoe.  I have probably owned 4 or 5 pair since then. They are my main hunting boot and my winter snow and rain boot.
  LLs have always been hard to break in but once there they are like wearing an old glove. I personally haven't had the problem with my anckles but I wear LLs a lot and have built up a callus I guess. When one pair begins to show wear I get a new pair(usiually after one resoleing) to break in before I use them on a regular basis.
  I'm getting to the point where a new pair is warrented. I love the older pairs because they walk softer than newer ones but the bottom tread begin to get slick. I like the 14" variety and order them with speed lace hooks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 12:01:00 PM »
Mmm, I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. I have two pairs of them and it was never a problem untill I got them re-soled. Figured it was a re-soling issue where they didn't take the time to do it like factory origionals. Anyways a pair of wool socks cushions mine well during hunting season. Mine only bothered me when I wore them while on summer canoe-camping trips, when i wore them with just cotton socks. Portages got to be a real pain.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
I have never had pain from the ridge but it always causes my socks to work down.  If I walk enough my socks end up all the way down.  I'm going to try this.  I think it will solve my problem.  Thanks.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Way big Beene boot fan!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
I once had that problem with another brand of Bean-style boots but never with actual Beans. Sounds like I'm one of the lucky ones. Living in a part of the country known for it's wet climate I wear Bean Boots quite often. Love them for everyday use as well as hunting.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Mine are about a year old. I don't feel the ridge around my ankle,  but these have a tab to cover that seam where it might contact your heel. The tab rucks and wrinkles, and then rubs my ankles.  I was thinking of just gluing it down, but I think I'll try your solution. Thanks.
Richard

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Have walked up to 5 miles in one trip in mine and never had that problem.  I had that problem on cheaper versions but my beanies never hurt from day one.  Guess I'm lucky.  But I just love mine.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
I'm with flingblade. My Beanes drag my socks down. Within 100 yards they are halfway down. I keep stopping to pull them up.

Any cures for this?
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim from Maine, now in Kentucky:
I'm with flingblade. My Beanes drag my socks down. Within 100 yards they are halfway down. I keep stopping to pull them up.

Any cures for this?
add the leather strip fix - i'll bet that'll  fix it, since it's probably the seam that's grabbing yer sock down.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
I had a pair made by Converse that had a loose tab running down the inside back of the boot.  It kept the back seam from working on both your foot and sock...  They don't make em any more or I would likely be wearing them instead.  They were comfy....

Bean made the pacs for a few years with an oiled cotton fabric top.  I had a pair of those and they were great.  They quit makin them.....

Two good one and they quit em both.... oh, woe is me....

Good post Rob....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Just got my LL Bean catalog and on page 42 is the Bean boots. Across the page on pag 43 is the Maine Hunting Shoes. They look identical... ? What is the diff guys ? Both are rubber bottom and leather uppers.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©