3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Predator Camo?  (Read 642 times)

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
Predator Camo?
« on: February 12, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Does anyone make Predator Camo in a heavy weight pant?  Something along the lines of a Carhartt or at least a heavy denim.  I would think that it would be a good market for them.  All I can find is the standard lightweight 6 pocket pants.  After hunting in Colorado several times and climbing over all the deadfalls and through brush I would like to have a heavier made pair of pants.  Any suggestions?

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Predator Camo?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php

Check into their "wolfskin". It's much softer than denim and lighter weight, and in my opinion it wears much better. My wife and I have had a set of the bibs in wolfskin for about 6 years now and it looks just as good as the day it arrived.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Southern Sam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Hey Bob, Predator themselves don't make anything except the poly material, warpknit, and cotton.  You may have to go with a custom maker if you want different material, like winterhawk mentioned.
Black Widow PMA X 46#@30"

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Don, I've looked at the wolfskin online (never seen it in person).  Is it abrasion resistant like heavy denim is.  I work outdoors and have worn Carhartt clothes for many years and found it to be very durable.  Just looking for something along those lines to hunt in and I really like Predator, especially out west!!!!

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline sticbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
ive had a pair of wolfskins for 6 years wear like iron at least half the weight of carhartt..you will like them.

Offline illwhttail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Predator doesn't make wolfskin anymore.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
my wolfskin seems to tear pretty easily
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
In dead calm cold weather, the wolfskin makes a bit of noise. Not much, but it's noise nonetheless. The wool and fleece do not make any noise.
If you want Predator, the GW wool is the best stuff made. If you don't want heavy wool because it isn't as cold where you hunt, GW also makes some fleece in Predator and Day One Camo has lots of great fleece in Predator.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Bob
I wear Predator pants their cotton blend they are a little on the heavy weight side, about like a when you got your Carhartt pants broke in, haven't tried any wool.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
GW is still showing wolfskin on their site. For being mobile in the mountains out west, wolfskin may be the ticket. When I mentioned "noise", I only meant for sitting in a static location and if cold.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
CA Bowhunter, where did you get your pants?  I'd like to see them.

BOB

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
GW still has wolfskin & it is awesome stuff. Predator is the pattern, the material is wolfskin & is made for GW only i think. Call Jeff for a definative answer. I have a bunch of it & the wool from GW, no complaints.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
ArkyBob,

You would have to go through the link that I posted above with Gray Wolf to get the wolfskin. Give Jeff a call and ask him about the wolfskin, I.....nor my wife has had a bit of trouble with it in any way. We do go through a lot of thick briars and such and burrs also don't stick to it very well. Excellent stuff......my wife and I ordered the whole set, bibs, coat, mittens and Elmer Fudd style hat with earflaps. We also have the head-net, but didn't get the insulation or windshear in it. I would be careful of barbed-wire fences.......we cross a lot of those too and haven't had any issues with it. I don't think that there is anything that can withstand barbed wire if you get caught on it and "jerk" yourself free.......your gonna have a corner tear. You can have Jeff make you something with double knees, and a double butt too, but we didn't and it seems to be very abrasion resistant to me.

Hope this helps......Yes, it's kinda "pricey", but in my opinion....you get what you pay for and you only have to buy it once. I might be wrong, but I believe it has a warranty with it also. Just call and talk to Jeff, he's a real nice guy.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
Day One offers wool pants in 5 Predator Patterns. price is around $270 but worth every penny. I used the wool pants in ASAT last year and found them comfortable, tough and QUIET. Visit the Day One website....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all the info.  I'll look more into the GrayWolf. Sounds like the most rugged of the choices.  

BOB

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Day One is the place to go!
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 12:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by ArkyBob:
CA Bowhunter, where did you get your pants?  I'd like to see them.

BOB
From Predator on-line story.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
Jeff @ GWW will hook you up with Predator in Wolfskin (I have it on in my avatar).  

While "I" don't think wolfskin is as durable as heavy denim material, it is pretty much bullet-proof in normal hunting situations.  I have 3-4 pairs of wolfskin pants.  And, I'm betting they'll last me MANY years.

Predator (you can get these through Jeff @ GWW, too) also offers an elk hunter pant that's a "little" more substantial than a lot of mfr's..

Good luck.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
When I was looking into getting some of these... Dayone was a heck of alot cheaper. If your a poorboy like me, thats always a good thing. just my 2 cents! Jason

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
The wolfskin is good stuff! A thin tough material that never fades. I have torn some pants a couple times, but they were real small and fixable. I've never had any issues with noise. Even when dead quiet and cold.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©