3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pig Gig Fever at the Spike Box Ranch  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Pig Gig Fever at the Spike Box Ranch
« on: February 12, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
A beautiful sunrise right outside our rooms at the ranch.  It was a joy sharing camp with everyone there.  The weather was a bit rough Sunday but Monday was much better. This is some of the terrain we were going through.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pig Gig Fever at the Spike Box Ranch
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
I drove down from Ohio which was an adventure in itself just getting there with the conditions of the roads on the way down.  But I was excited to be heading to Dallas to pick my brother Scotty up from the airport.  He lives in California and we only get to hunt together a couple of times each year which we cherish and this hunt proves to be very memorable for the both of us.    In the background is a little tank or water hole we found hidden in the cover which provided action for three days for us.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
We were taking a break eating some lunch when we spotted a hog down by the water at the far end of the water.  So we got the wind in our favor and worked are way in.  I was able to have a steady wind in my face to keep from getting busted and put a good shot on this one.  Perfect size for eating. This is the way we got my hog out.  It was pretty far in there and without the help of my brother it would of been a lot tougher.   :notworthy:

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
On the way out we spotted some javalina.  What a neat looking animal.  We were close but just not lucky enough. Scotty was within the twenty yard line without a shot opportunity, like I said close but no cigar.  Mike the head of the ranch told us to try not to stare the hogs to death.   :readit:

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
I got a catch up on some zzzz's just drove twenty three hours straight shot from Texas back home.  Stopped by work to tie up some loose ends and head for home.  I'll try to post some more of the action later.   :campfire:    :coffee:

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Looks like a great trip. thanks for sharing!  :archer:
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline Pandaros

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Great pictures!! That first one is perfect eating size.

Offline Bowmag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Hey, David, glad you got back ok. Thanks for posting the pics. It was fun to visit with you and the rest of the guys.
Colburn

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
I hope you were able to shake that cold Colburn.  It was a pleasure meeting you as well and getting to chat.  I was glad to see you made it back to hunt a little.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
My brother and I put a lot of miles on the legs this trip through the canyons and thickets.  We had to many close calls to even recall to be honest, with a few bluff charging each of us.  One sow in particular we ran into was very angry.  I wish I would of have had my camera out but I think we might have seen hogzilla Thursday afternoon.   :laughing:    :dunno:

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
If you look dead center in the picture there is a nice reddish colored pig with a couple others that can't be seen.  These pigs went down in a deep canyon and my brother and I got with in twenty yards after an hour and a half stalk.  No shot but one of the great memories watching my brother Scotty get that close.  The wind just didn't hold up and we were down there with the hogs for over fifteen minutes within that twenty yard mark.  It was a straight up and down rock wall on both sides and we found and erosion ditch of sorts to slide down 400 yards or so away and sneaked in to position.  What a rush!

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
:campfire:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Great pics. and good hunt. I used to get to hunt with my brother, but he hasn't shot a bow for a long time and probably won't start shooting again. Wish he would.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »
Well on are way out of this canyon we were chatting and brother happened to catch a hog moving towards us in the brush.  We both loaded arrows as fast as possible.  This was Wensday, extremely cold with a blustering wind.  We also had a light covering of snow which was very neat. So the hog moves down towards us oblivious of our presence and at eight yards my brother whispers to me "I've got this one"   :biglaugh:  and the shot was off.  Quartering slightly away and through both lungs.  That moment made the trip for me.  I was so excited because I know how hard my brother works at his job.  And to share that moment made the whole trip worth it for me.  

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
One trick we used was to walk a drag rag of Smokey boar scent all along the wheat field and then work our way in the thick stuff and then toward evening work our way out to where we put the scent.  Funny thing all my wicks were eating and disappeared.

I really had plenty of chances that I just didn't capitalize on.  Maybe next year.  But I did have some more luck on Thursday.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Congrats to both of you looks like you had a great trip.Thanks for the great pictures and story.Im headed to Texas in may cant wait.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
It ought to be a real scorcher by then.  I really enjoyed the cooler temps.  Some of the guys will be chiming in here in the next day or two.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Gotta love Texas is the winter. Nice stuff bud!!!
   :campfire:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Great hunt Dave!!!     :thumbsup:
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©