3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pig Gig Fever at the Spike Box Ranch  (Read 1490 times)

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pig Gig Fever at the Spike Box Ranch
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Nice story,pics,pigs and memories.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Awesome story and pictures so far and to be able to share it with your brother...it doesn't get much better than that!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Sweet........
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:  Awsome pics and shooting Dave

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Great story and pics..
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Very nice. Story and pics where great
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
Very cool!  That pig of your brothers looks like he has some serious cutters!

Always great to hunt with family.  Brothers and bows are a good combo.

Thanks for taking us a long.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
Congrats on a Great hunt with your bother.

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Sweet  :wavey:  Thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2011, 02:22:00 AM »
very very nice , good job an great pics , thank you !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 03:31:00 AM »
Congratulations   :)
Thanks for sharing!

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 03:53:00 AM »
"Pig Gig Fever"  

Nice gig guys.  I thoroughly enjoyed your happy time.  I'm gonna do that some day - hopefully an annual adventure.  Gotta get around and see the world with bow in hand.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing!  :thumbsup:  How did the whole group do?
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
Werner, some guys did get some pigs and a few didn't have to much luck.  Hard to believe because my brother and I saw pigs everyday.  We didn't really care what the weather was doing since we were hunting and not working.

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Hi David.It was great to catch up with you again and talk in Kalamazoo.Looks like you had a great trip to Texas.I was wondering about your hunt and how the wintry weather you had to go through and endure affected your trip.Those pics tell the story.Glad you and your brother got some hogs and that you got to at least see some javelina.They are a neat,fun,little critter to hunt.They can be testy as well sometimes as my buddy Jim that sat with us at the PBS in Nashville got a close up look at their snapping teeth while on his back a few years back down on the King Ranch.Glad you had a great trip and arrived back home safely.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
On Thursday my brother and I decided to come back in for lunch.  This was the first time all week we actually came back to eat at camp.  That morning it was really calm and stalking was tough but we still had a couple close encounters.  We sneaked back to our favorite water hole, which was froze over, and as we turned to corner of some evergreens I noticed a nice size boar heading straight towards us.  So we both took a couple side steps to hide in the bush.  The boar came down to the water and nudged the ice on top with his nose.  This is happening at twelve yards and neither one of us have a shot do to a big overhanging limb.  When the hog decided that he wasn't going to get any water he had two choices.  Walk past the both of us or go back the trail he came in on?  Well, of course he decided to walk back the trail he came on so I quickly followed and at a little over twenty yards he turned to go back in the thick stuff.  I had a spot a bit bigger than a grapefruit to shoot through so I let one go.  Unfortunately my arrow nicked the top and plummeted to the earth just low.  It was such a cool colored hog to.  A dirty yellow with some real nice cutters.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks David, a great time was had for sure.

So after my mmmmiiisssss!  We headed back out and decided to head back to camp to get a bite to eat.  Back at camp, Cash, our ranch guide and Barry were out driving around and saw some pigs in a field by some water tanks.  They said there was a big black one in a hay pile feeding.  My brother and I looked at each other and said what the heck lets go.  Upon arrival we could see two groups off in the distance in the wheat.  One group of twelve and another of fifteen.  We had to go around two small water tanks with really tall yellow grass around them.  As we rounded the corner of the first water hole a big boar jumped up out of his bed and kinda of jogged off.  I went into sprint mode and ran about 400 yards to get around this guy and my brother stayed back to watch the action.  I got to a point were I was up on a bank trying to catch my breath and I see my brother pointing straight down.  I stand up tall and there not 25 yards was the pig standing broadside drinking water.  I snuck in just a littler closer and prepare for the shot.  As I stand I think he noticed me as I released and the shot was low and forward and he took off back around the lake.  I stayed right behind him within 30 yards for about 200 yards.  The thing is he was heading right for Scotty waiting in the tall grass so I just kept pressing the pig.  As we are working are way through the tall grass I see the pig turn and Scotty shoot.  The pig was running but he hit the pig a bit back and the big boar ran out and gave me a perfect 30 yard broadside shot.  I made good on that opportunity and put the shot right above his front leg about 3 inches up.  He fell over 5 yards from that.  What a rush and once again hunting with my brother was just the cherry on the top of the sundae.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »

I thought it would only be fitting to have both of us in one last pic for what a great time we had together.  On a side note when Cash said when he saw this pig he said thats not even the one they saw by the water when him and Barry were out scouting.  The picture doesn't do this big boar any justice.  He has a beautiful color to him and some real nice cutters.  Cash said he was really old and run down.  I figured thats why I was able to run and keep up with him.  Just like people, when you get older you just don't fell like running as much.  I hope to be back next year and chase after hogs again.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
Very nice picts, looks like a fun time,
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Offline First White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »
Nice!!! Where is the ranch?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©