3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kentucky Elk Hunt  (Read 1803 times)

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
Kentucky Elk Hunt
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Was interested in getting some info on elk hunting in Ky. A friend gave me info on the Ky lottery for non residents. I live in Va so it seems better for me to travel 8hrs vs 22hrs for Co.

Was looking to see if there are any trad bow hunters in area planning to put in for it and is the oct season the time when your calling them in or is it spot and stalk.

From what I read I always thought sept was the calling season???

Also, from what I read online the odds are better than Co due to the limited amout of hunters....

Any and all info would be appriciated.

Thanks

Dave
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kentucky Elk Hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Do a member search for "Bowwild" on here.  He was head of the department when they started to develope the herd.

He can give ya the good, the bad, and the ugly about the KY elk, the lottery, etc
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
The KY Dept. of Fish and Wildlife always has info on their web site.  I've been in the draw from the beginning but haven't been drawn yet.  I'll be in there again this year.

I've never hunted elk so won't be much help as far as what to do, but I keep hoping.......

Do a search for KY Dept of Fish and Wildlife.  There is a lot of info on there including an article on what to do if you get drawn.

Good Luck to you!

Offline BBWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Dave, I would also like to try that. I live in WV but I work for a company out of KY. I've been tring to find out more my self. If I can find out more I'll let you know
Tomahawk SS 62" 52#
Dala 60" 50#

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
Dave,
The KY herd was reborn the week before Christmas in 1997. It started with 7 KS elk and another 1542 were added from AZ, NM, UT, OR, and ND. The herd is now estimated to be around 10,000 animals. It is the largest, by far in the eastern U.S.-- about 3,000 larger than Nevada. KY's elk range covers 16 contiguous counties encompassing about 3,000,000 acres. Most of the land is private but leases with coal companies provide lots of access.

There is bugling activity in the October season although you are correct, it starts in September. KY wanted to set its season so bulls would have more opportunity to breed before being taken out of the herd. Sort of like rifle gun seasons in Ohio, Kansas, Illinois and other very high quality deer hunting states.

By all means apply, everyone should. Your $10 demonstrates how hunter support, paid for, and continues to pay for this exciting recovery project!  The odds are pretty steep though. Last year about 32,000 people applied for around 800 permits. If you are drawn though you will enjoy a success rate far greater than in any western state -- around 76%. UP TO 10% of those drawn can be nonresidents. This doesn't mean in a given year 10% of the permits WILL be allocated to NR, if resident names are drawn first.

We started hunting the herd with 6 bulls taken in 2001. I was comfortable applying in 2007 and will continue to do so until God takes me home.

There is a fellow (a bowhunting machine!) on Trad Gang that is much more current than I am about the project, now that I'm retired.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
What a tremondous success story! Thanks to all involved.

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info Bowwild, I sent you a PM on some other questions while you were posting. I am going to put in regardless.

Anyone interested in going and or planning a hunt PM me or add to post....

Thanks all

Dave
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Dave,
  I put in for the lottery, both cow and bull archery chances.  It is close enough to home that, if I do get drawn, I figure I can make a couple scouting runs this summer.  I have never hunted elk, so I can offer any advise, but good luck with the draw.  I hope we both get lucky!
Chris

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Bowwild, at one time 2 (or more) folks could enter on one draw chance as a team. Is that still available? That allows you to hunt w/your friends if selected. If so, I'd enter along w/other TG members (dave19) for the chance.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Does anyone have any info on public land areas to go? I recieved a PM stating that a guy drew a tag then found out the area he drew had little or no public areas to hunt???
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
You go where they send you when it comes to areas. Go to the   KY DNR   website for your answers.

pssssst. you will not get drawn... neither will I or anyone we know   :)  

best of luck!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure there has never been a party application available for a KY elk hunting. If there was a party ap it would have been during one of the years since 2007 as I don't follow it as closelly as I used to have to do. There definitely isn't one now.  

What usually happens, when a person gets drawn they become an instant celebrity within their circle of family and friends. It is not uncommon to see folks tagging along with these elk hunters. The first bull killed in KY on opening morning of our elk hunt was carried out without even field dressing by an army of folks who rushed to the scene!

By the way, that very first elk hunt in 2001 saw a bowhunter from Eastern KY (Morehead area) kill a bull with a bow! A tiny "rocket broadhead".

Offline BTW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
10,000 elk in Kentucky! I never knew there was that many. Far better odds than here in PA. I'm guessing we have 800 elk with about 10,000 applicants for around 40 or so tags.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
I have only followed the Kentucky elk reintroduction from a distance, as the occasional story pops up. I'm only a few hours north of the herd, but never really felt a desire to hunt them. I'm happy for Kentucky's success, though.

Speaking of success: I recently read a news story reporting on one small town's difficulties with the elk. I recall people saying the elk were invading their backyards and gardens. Not just a few...but a bunch of the elk have been killed in collisions with vehicles. No residents have died, but one woman survived having a bull slam through her windshield. This bull died kicking and struggling on top of the driver. I saw the picture and it was gruesome. Anyway, the local residents are somewhat fed up (according to the story) and are pressing for extra elk kills. I believe a number of these particular elk are targeted for trapping and relocation to Missouri.

I should add that anyone who hasn't travelled through southern and eastern Kentucky is missing some beautiful and rugged country. There is...appropriately enough...a small town down there named Elkhorn City.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
KY's elk range was chosen because it is 93% forest, 6% open reclaimed minelands, and 1% agriculture. The ag lands are fescue pastures in very hilly country. The elk range is about 3,000,000 acres in size.

When the public was asked how they felt about elk returning, dozens of public informational meetings were held. More than 3,000 written comments were collected statewide. Of those comments 90% were in favor on a statewide basis and 99% of more than 2,000 comments from people who lived in the area were in favor. There has rarely been a project so favored by the public who actually live in project area.

You know which group was against the restoration of elk in Kentucky?  The Fund for Animals, a rabid bunch of anti-hunter radicals with a regional "office" in Louisville, KY. They didn't want a game species restored. That reveals their true colors by the way, they aren't for wildlife they are simply hunter haters.

We studied the issues in AR, PA, MI, OK, MN, and WI regarding elk and the problems they might cause.  The highest roadkill evidence was in Michigan where, with 600 elk in their herd they had 5-6 roadkills per year. We expected 15-16 per year in KY. I don't know if that's the number these days or not...I've been out of the loop now for 4 years.

The elk do get in some trouble, even in these lightly populated mountains. One pulled up $700 in blue plastic flowers in a mountain cemetary. Another tore hayjack out of Santa's sleigh and reindeer one winter. A State Policeman called me at home once and asked how to get an elk out of his dog kenney -- the dog had chased it in there. Lucky for me, the elk figured out how to get out before I had to get creative!  They have pestered some cattle and surely they've damaged some fences. And yes, there have been roadkills. Some of the problems have occurred in areas where locals, against the law, have set up feeding stations to view the animals.

Local folks though enjoy the elk. Some will follow bulls around in the late winter waiting for antlers to drop so they can pick up a souvenir. Many become guides during hunting seasons and yes, some landowners collect tresspass fees from elk hunters. Poaching is extremely low!

Whenever someone complained about "your" elk or "your deer" referring to these animals belonging to the state wildlife agency, I always reminded them that God put them there first.  Our mismanagement (people) caused them to disappear once, and we were just correcting the error.  

I do sympathize with those and their families and friends who have an encounter with an elk, deer, dog, domestic cow, drunk driver, etc. on the highway. But for the grace of God there go I.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
Yes, Missouri is starting a herd. It won't be allowed to get too large, probably more on the scale of MI, AR, and PA (100's vs. 1,000's). Their animals will come from KY's herd because ours has been so thoroughly tested and found to be disease-free. I don't know exactly where the elk will come from. It is very common in translocation efforts for canidate animals to come from nuisance or high population herds that are readily easy to access.

This KY herd will contribute to herds that will be started or have started in VA and W.VA also.  We assited the Tennessee agency with their elk capture and reintroduction. Many think there will be an Appalachian elk herd numbering more than 20,000 animals before many more years.

I'm excited about it. Unlike the 5 generations before them, the children being born in the mountains today will think it normal to hear the bugle of these beasts in September and October!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
This is a dream for sure.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 04:23:00 PM »
For the $20 for the 2 lottery tickets its worth it if by chance i get picked. As for the area they give you your 1st 3 choices so just as long as you pick public areas I hope its not a problem........
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Here's a link to the story I recently read. Consider the source...

http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/10/revived-then-reviled-ky-lets-community-hunt-elk/

From what I've read, the program was and is an overwhelming success. Evidence the rapid and successful reproduction and expansion of the herd. It only makes sense that the state will allow increased harvests to keep the target numbers where they want them.

Like so many creatures, they are magnificient to view on a sunny slope up high on a ridge. I can understand how having 2 or 3 of them spend the night in your garden would send you spinning. This is one of those "nimby" things that states must address as reintroductions occur.

I also heard that Kentucky killed its first legal black bear in something like 100 years just this past fall. Maybe the wolf is on the agenda?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
2 bears were killed this year. Our first season in decades was last year but it was "snowed" out.

No wolves!  They'll eat our moose! Also, with lots of people around Louisville wearing little red riding hoods.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©