3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kentucky Elk Hunt  (Read 1808 times)

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kentucky Elk Hunt
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
That's bad Bowwild!!!  A lot of the guys on here probably won't get the reference to the Louisville Cardinals.

I've been in the draw every year except one if I remember correctly.  Doing my part to help restore the herd, but haven't been drawn yet.  This year is the first year they have had seperate bowhunting permits.  I think that will increase the odds of getting an archery permit as opposed to being lumped into a pool to just draw "a" permit.  I'd say that this will increase the odds of being drawn significantly.

I'll be hoarding my vacation and hoping for the best.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Results will be out in May.  We should either resurrect this thread of start a new one then for anyone that is drawn.  It would be great to have a group of "gangers" get drawn and work together on making a successful hunt.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Elk Hunt FAQ\\'s  

See the above for more info.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Well I hope that some of you draw a tag. I have been watching KY herd since UT started sending elk to KY. I think this type of success really shows what hunters can do. The one thing that amazes me is how much weight the elk put on with KY great feed,if I rememmber right they weight 100 lbs to 200 lbs more on average than in the western ranges. I know it may seem funny the someone from the west would consider this hunt but this is one elk hunt I would like to do.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
I was thinking the same thing Jimmy. Probably better odds to put in for KY than UT   :biglaugh:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
We'd be glad to have some of you western guys up here to hunt "your" elk.  Us rookie's could use a little help in figuring this thing out.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by Marvin M.:
That's bad Bowwild!!!  A lot of the guys on here probably won't get the reference to the Louisville Cardinals.
I caught it Marvin. Note to self, Take Roy Grimes off Christmas card list. GO CARDS
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline kybownut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »
I know several people that have got drawn,my wifes niece got a cow 2 years ago and her mother got a cow this year.also when you pick your area its up to you to find your hunting spot.the best way to get info  is to contact the dept. of fish and wildlife.Contrary to what some people may think i belive this one of the best ran elk lotteries in the country.I have applied every year and havent gotten drawn yet but you can bet i will try again this year. If you think you or anyone else you know will NOT get drawn theres not much use wasting your 10.00 DOLLARS.
60" predator hunter 46# @28"
maddog bamboo backed hickory elb 53# @28"
traditional bowhunting is more than a choice of equipment!

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Marvin M.:
Results will be out in May.  We should either resurrect this thread of start a new one then for anyone that is drawn.  It would be great to have a group of "gangers" get drawn and work together on making a successful hunt.
I agree on that.... It would be good to see who is in... the only problem is getting the same spots... Website says top 3 picks need to be submitted.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
MY wife drea a rifle bull tag in 2009, and did not get drawn for any of the 3 areas she put in, can be pretty bad that way,  but we managed, and with some help she got a 4x4 first day.
samuel koger

Offline Three Finger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
I have never hunted Elk before. But I want too. I will be putting in for it. $ 10 sounds like a deal to me. Thanks for the thread.
US Army AIRBORNE 95-98
Woodland Hunter 58"48#@28
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
I know 2 people that were drawn last year. I don't feel the draw is "rigged" like some suggest, its just what it is, a lottery, and the odds are against you.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
The elk drawing is one of the mose integrity-filled activities on the planet. Passing the plate down the pew is no more honest than the elk drawing. The first drawing was overseen by the state auditor's office as the applications were under lock and key and every movement of the applications was watched by these folks. The drawing is televised to document it's integrity. I know, it is easy to trick camera's, etc. Bottom line, FW folks don't make enough to lie for some bozo (whatever is "enough").

I'm not going to say when or who, but in the 1990's a well-connected dude (outside the agency) asked me to make "sure" he was drawn for a WMA Quota Deer hunt. I told him I wouldn't do it.  I went further to say that if he tried to "make me" I would tell the first person who asked what he had done. He backed off FOREVER!

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Haven't been drawn yet,but the wife and I will keep trying.The money goes for a good cause and Ky.has a great record on restoration,Deer,Elk,Turkey,River Otter,just to name a few.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
I've never thought it was "rigged" or in any way altered to allow anyone to get drawn.  It's been popular from the beginning and the odds of being drawn are high.

It's getting better and having an archery draw this year will make it even easier to get a tag.  If you assume that most people want to hunt and want a successful hunt, there will be a lot more people in the rifle portion of the draw than the archery/crossbow.  The odds have to be better now.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
I think they pick the tags in April... so I will resurect this post regardless to see who got it.... I might just go out there anyway for deer to check out the area for a future lottery if I dont get it this year.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »
dave19113 - a FYI, application deadline is April 30, 2011.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
I was also reading online they are having an archery only bull season in sept. Does anyone know if that is included in lottery or if there is a separate lottery? I tried to call but got no returns yet.
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 12:21:00 PM »
I really hadn't looked into KY before.  I play tag games in other states, but for whatever reason had overlooked this one.  Not this year!  My application is in.  And actually, the odds are pretty decent for just a $10 investment.  1 in 40 beats a lot of other high quality hunts in some of the more well known elk hunting states.

What a wonderful success story KY has with its elk program!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
Dave,

This is the first time they have done separate archery tags.  You sign up for each lottery (max of 2).  You can only get drawn for one tag and they do them in order. For example, if I sign up for "archery bull" and "archery antlerless" I'm in two separate lotteries.  They do them in order so the bull draw would be first.  If I'm drawn for a bull, I'm disqualified for the antlerless drawing. If I'm not drawn for a bull, I'm still in the draw for an antlerless tag.

In previous years there was one draw for all participants and no separate archery tags.  This way you can have more than one chance and can go for archery only -- it should be a smaller pool of entrants.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©