3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Footings  (Read 653 times)

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Footings
« on: February 13, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I here alot of talk about arrow footings. Please excuse the dumb question but just what is a footing and what does it do. Don't bash me to hard guy's im just learning my way around traditional archery and trying to take in all the info. i can.
Dale

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

Online boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Footings
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 03:26:00 AM »
In carbon arrows, the term describes gluing a short piece, say an inch, of aluminum arrow shaft over the forward end of your arrow. It makes it stronger for impact,& helps keep the insert from crushing the carbon shaft when you hit something hard. Some put another smaller piece back by the nock of the arrow also. Makes for a very durable arrow, especially useful for surviving shooting stumps, rocks, etc.
If you do a search on this here, you will get a lot of info on how to do it and what you need for your arrows.  There is a chart for what aluminum shaft fits over what carbon arrow.

In wood arrows it describes using a different heavier wood for the front part of the shaft, spliced to the lighter back part of the shaft.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »
Here's an aluminum footing(Easton Legacy 2020) installed onto a Beman MFX 500 Classic arrow:

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
So is the insert in the carbon or the aluminum shaft?
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
It is in the carbon.  The carbon is assembled as usual and the aluminum is slipped over the end (even with the insert at the end of the carbon shaft) and glued in place (I use JB Weld).

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
Footings in there more original form were hard woods spliced into the front of a wooden shaft. It was done to improve balance, appearance, and toughness. Maybe someone will post a picture of that as well.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 09:08:00 AM »
Im very interested in this subject, anyboby have a link or more info on how to build these i could use something like this. I miss the target alot,and hit a tree behind my target bag, it bends my alum. shafts. lol, Thanks a million for the info. I have learned so much already here at this site, you guy's are super. Thanks for the pict, ishoot4thrills.   :)
Dale

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
30point,I doubt if this would help your aluminum arrows,at least as far as bending.

On frontal impacts to hard objects,the insert on a carbon can get driven back into the shaft like a wedge.This splits the front of the shaft.Adding the aluminum tubing to the front creates a band that keeps the carbon fibers from flaring out and splitting and the insert stays put.

I put a 1" piece on the front and a 1/4" piece on the nock end.I have heard of the nock ends of the shafts splitting but haven't had it happen on mine.Anyway,as long as I am making up footings,I make them for the nock ends too.It does seem to cut way down on nocks blowing out on hard impacts.

I don't think you can do anything to prevent aluminum arrows from bending.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
Kinda figuring that one out the hard way lol. I may just have to put a couple bales of straw in front of the tree. I still like the idea of the footings though. Does it help with weight up front as far as FOC goes to help with arrow flight, and from a hunting stand point is there any advantage, or disadvantage ?
Dale

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Most footings weigh 9-12 grains per inch so it doesn't change front end weight much.Toughening the carbon shaft for frontal impacts is,I think,the main value.I have been shooting carbon arrows with footings,a lot,over the past 2 1/2 years and have yet to break one and have hit a lot of hard stuff,including a dead center hit on a steel post.I shot an antelope through the shoulders and he snapped the shaft off.That is the only break I've had.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
I see, so it's mainly for carbon shafts.
Dale

Offline Trad Whitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Yes - it is for carbons.  I don't really see any advantage to footing aluminum arrows since they can still bend which is their weakness.  It helps carbons because they tend to blow out at the insert, as stated above.  I have not broken any shafts since I started footing them - well, other than the one that bounced off of a log at ten yards and hit a steel T-post sideways, but that was a fluke!  My wife started out with 35/55 carbons and kept breaking them at the insert.  She can hit the posts holding the targets up all day when she is not trying to!   :rolleyes:    I had her go to aluminum arrows because they were cheaper, but they got broken and bent at a fast pace.  About then I discovered the footing trick for my arrows and footed some of her old carbons and she has yet to break one.  In the end footed carbons have been a lot cheaper than anything else because they are very tough.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
Im lookin for some carbons for my recurves i think im going to experiment with it as soon as i can get them. As of now im shooting Alum.
Dale

Online boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
30 point, I went down this same road.

The aluminums were too easy to bend, so I went to the carbons, then started footing the carbons to keep from mushrooming the ends.
I have not had to buy any arrows for a long while now, and I hit my share of hard things that are so foolish as to be near my target.
Now my bent aluminums are getting used as footings, so I have some good recycling going on.

Do click 'search' at top here and type in 'footing with aluminum', you will find all you need to know on how to do it, multiple threads on this in the past, which is how I learned to do it. A great resource there for the taking.

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
boznarras, i just did a search with what info you gave me wow there is alot of info, Thank You
as a matter of fact i've added it to my favorites
list.
Dale

Online boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Yes it is a rare subject that you can do a search on and come up empty.
Search is  a really great tool on this site, especially for the first attempt at info.
Often this lets those poor deceased equines get their rest.   :deadhorse:

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 06:59:00 PM »
i had never heard of footing arrows until this site, Lots of great info here.
Dale

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
30 pt..

Go look around the arrow buy/sell/trade section.  There were some pics of footed wood just so you get an idea what that looks like.  Ya may have to go back a few pages but there were some nice ones on there.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline 30pointbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
I will Huntschool thanks, i never thought about that. I just can't say enough about you guy's on this site, Not once have i been bashed or made to feel stupid or foolish for asking a dumb question, I love this site and traditional, it's in my blood now.
Dale

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
Here's a link to the "How To Resources" that might be helpful. Carbon shaft brands and sizes and corresponding aluminum "footing sizes".
  Aluminum footing sizes for carbon arrows
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©