3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What a difference a string makes!  (Read 302 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What a difference a string makes!
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Short story version:

Swapped the stock FF string on my Dorado to a B50 I made.  It's way quieter, but had to increase point weight from 125 to 175 to get them to fly right.  So now I'm shooting a quieter bow with a heavier arrow -- I'm a happy camper.

Long story version:

Hoyt string on my 45# Dorado was annoying from day one.  The rubber silencers that came on it were cut in half and fell off in the first week.  I put string leeches on, but they cut in half shortly too.  When I learned how to make strings, I finally realized that what I had was a very bundled string.  They hadn't reverse twisted the bundles before doing the second end, so you ended up with a very profound double helix effect:

I also never was happy with how quiet the bow was.  The shop where I bought it this summer (first bow I've purchased) set me up with some Beman Bowhunter 500's, cut to 30" with 125 grains.  The bow is supposedly 45# at 28, although I draw to 29.  Weight tubes helped some, but I gave up chasing my nocks everytime I went stump shooting.  Brace height mades some difference, as did hair silencers and string groove silencers.  But it was never quiet.

I made some new strings for it back in December.  A B-50 twelve strand and a D-97 10 strand but never put them on.  My serving had completely worn out a the nocking point, so it was time.  I put on the B-50 with some of the wonderful hush puppies and suddenly it was whisper quiet.  But I couldn't get my arrows to fly right.  So to the club where I tried to paper tune.

My arrows had always been a touch underspined before.  125 was the biggest head I could get on them and still get any kind of decent flight.  Now it was showing way over spined.  I messed with the brace height, and then 145 grain points.  Not enough.  Killdeer had given me some 175's so I put those on for fun and suddenly bullet holes.

For kicks I also tried the D97 I had made.  No silencers.  It seemed a lot faster than the B-50 obviously, but going back I couldn't get the 125's to fly right at all.  Maybe adding the silencers would have slowed it down just a bit, but here I was getting worse not better.

Back to the B50.  Arrows flew nice, and everything was quiet for the first time ever.  Outside at 20 yards, I had a bit of adjusting to do though.  Suddenly what Killdeer called my laser beams had arc to them.  That'll take a bit of getting used to.  At home later in the day I was actually starting to shoot better after a few practice rounds at 20-25 yds:

I think with a little drop, my sight gap is smaller, which is helping.  And perhaps the B50 is more forgiving as well?

Overall, I couldn't believe the difference in arrow flight as well as noise with the three different strings.  Now I know.  And as speed isn't necessarily my thing if I can hit where I'm aiming, I'm starting to like the B50!

Of course, I had to order some 175 grain blunts and broadheads yesterday from 3Rivers.  But I was overdue for another order anyhow.

:archer:
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What a difference a string makes!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Yep, just changed to B-50 string on my bow and it definitely quieted it down. The minimal loss in speed is well worth the decrease in noise for me.
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
B50 and heavier arrows will make a bow inherently quiet.  A lot of my bows I 3-D shoot with do not have silencers on them but they are whisper quiet anyway.

Just a tip.  You can wrap from your loops to about 4" down with wool yarn and eliminate the padding on your bow limbs if you want.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
I'll still shoot with you, but with your improving skills, my "chagrin level" will likely go through the roof!

Killdeer~ pratfalls a specialty!   :biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Chagrin level?  Really?  (The girls will keep it all in perspective for us.  Marlee is currently caressing her freshly finished bow.)

And we just finished a tutorial for both Emma and Marlee on the differences between a straight longbow, a recurve, static recurve, r/d longbow, etc.  Nothing funnier than a 7 and 10 year old arguing over who's bow is what kind!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Not all low stretch strings are the same,some are quieter then others.I have bows that are quieter with 450+ and some with D97 and some with 8125.For me the only bows I shoot B50 on are a couple of older vintage recurves for safety.And I don't shoot a low stretch string for any speed increase.I shoot it for the feel the bow just feels more solid and not springy.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
I agree with JrY309..i like the solid feel of the low stretch strings...im guessing you could find a good crafted d97 that would shoot quiet also..but nothing wrong with b50 either..just keep an eye on the braceheight until it settles and enjoy.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Robert Cunfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I never liked the feel of a B50 string either, I will admit they are quieter on any bow I've tried them on though!!!!!!Bobby

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
I agree,all low stretch strings are not the same. I usually shoot D97 and really like it's performance. It's very quiet. I since have tried the new D10 and I think it's got some hummm to it. It is meant to shoot with a low twist but doesn't like to hold silencers at that twist. Anyhow,it's a good string but I think I'll ge back to D97.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Well, I twisted up a D97 too, and it was a bit loud without silencers.  I'll probably try it with silencers, I'm sure it's better than the factory string.  But I'll need some stiffer shafts to shoot with it I'm thinking

The B50 is not just quiet, it let me shoot a heavier arrow without changing spine (ie, buying new arras).  And I liked the feel.

The moral was that I couldn't believe just how much difference there was in three strings, two of them low stretch.  I always figured it was just a minor thing, but they'll get more attention from now on.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
I hear ya. When I recieved my Snakebit TD from a good friend (it would have to take a good friend to give up a Snakebit....), that bow sounded like a .22 going off every time I shot it. I put a D97 on her and it made a huge difference. I also like my bows as quiet as I can get them. Not sure if you know, but Terry's girls sells a couple string silencers called bowhush and hush puppies. I think they are a great combo to add to any string and do what they are intended do very well, quiet a bow down right quick.

Check em out;

http://www.bowhush.com/
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 03:37:00 PM »
Yup, those are bow hush from the girls on the string, and I was thinking about doing the hush puppy thing as well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©