3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Jig? Which one?  (Read 695 times)

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Jig? Which one?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I have three Bitz.     :thumbsup:

:archer2:
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Jo-Jan multifletcher for me. 1/2 dozen arows complete in one hour.

Bisch

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
Jo-Jan MultiFletcher for me.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
polycarb jigs are far more accurate than anyone requires and easily as accurate as a bitz, will take incredible abuse, have an indefinite lifespan.

i've had a martin j8 polycarb fletcher that's at least 20 years old, probably more, have fletched many Many hundreds of arrows with it for both 3 and 4 fletch, it's as good as new in both looks and function.  now, it's my dedicated 75x105 offset 4-fletch jig.    

for helical i have 2 bohning polycarbs, one setup for 3x120 offset and the other for 3x120 helical.  

just got a new grayling polycarb for $32 @ braveheart - what an amazing, precision quality fletching jig that will do 3x120 and 4x90, for solid performance/quality value.  this is now dedicated as my 4x90 helical 4-fletch jig.  this jig even comes with an added rotating idler shaft arm that's multi-notched to handle both skinny carbons and fat woodies.  imho, this is the best quality, performing, priced, and overall valued fletching jig available anywhere.  

nothing at all wrong about a bitz.  they were the first commercial cast metal fletcher (instead of bent/riveted metal like on the hoyts and jans) and before the age of solid hi-performance plastics.  ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Just got a Bitz via a Cabelas gift card.....wish I'd done it years ago.

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
If you can't afford a Bitz,  BPE is another great fletching jig to consider.  I've been using one for the past 12 years and have great results.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I've got a pretty vintage Jo-Jan (Mono) and a Bitzenberg, both with RW & LW clamps.  The Bitz is the dux-deluxe of fletching jigs, but I still use the Jo-Jan on occasion.  Looking at an arrow afterwards I can't tell which was used.  I do prefer the Bitz when fletching tapering shafts as it can be adjusted to the shaft much better.

It's nice to use quality tools.  If you've got the cash the Bitz will serve you well.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
BITZ
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »
Bitz here.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
I've had a Bitz and a Martin jig for several years now. No complaints with either. If I was in the market for a fletcher I'd either buy the Martin or similar poly fletcher with both LW & RW clamps and the money I'd save on a Bitz with one clamp I'd buy other archery accessories I needed or wanted.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
I used my bohing for about 15 arows... then it fell apart.. i went and got a longer screw at the hardware store (it kept unscrewing as I fletched...

i bought a bitz and can only say... you save money in buying a quality jig, ONCE!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Looking at the Bitz, it appears that you can only do one feather and one arrow at a time. Seems like it would take 45 min. to an hour to do a single arrow? Maybe I am confused.

The jo jan has 6 slots and seems like it would do a dozen arrows muchhhh faster.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Sam,
You are correct. I use both the Bitz and Jo Jan multi fletcher. I'm never in any hurry when I make my projectiles. Just take my time with either jig.
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
Bitz and fletch tape about 10 min or less.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385:
Looking at the Bitz, it appears that you can only do one feather and one arrow at a time. Seems like it would take 45 min. to an hour to do a single arrow? Maybe I am confused.

The jo jan has 6 slots and seems like it would do a dozen arrows muchhhh faster.
True.  Just how fast do you lose arrows?    ;)  

If I was making them to sell I'd either have a dozen Bitzenburgers or a couple multi-fletchers.  For home use, I'm usually in no huge hurry.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
I like my Jo-Jan multi. Hap

Offline bkyrdshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
I use a BPE PRO fletcher and have no complaints at all. I got it and Feathers for the price of 1 Bitz. It can do anything I would ever need it to do.
"Energy and Persistence Conquer All Things"   Benjamin Franklin

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
Bitz for 25 years or more,no problems yet
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©